Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-01-2007, 10:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceGeek View Post
Ziggy you're still going to have adverse selection even if they had some gestapo-like way to force all breathing inhabitants of MA to sign up for health insurance.

You'll have it because the healthy folks who find the fees to be onerous enough will simply leave the commonwealth.
I would imagine a few would. But I doubt THAT many people would leave just to avoid this mandate. It's possible, though, and it bears watching.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm still not clear on the no-rejection-allowed laws.

Let's say in New Jersey, a healthy 50-year-old retired person calls the insurance company and gets policy A and it costs $3,600 per year.

Now another 50-year-old who has been diagnosed with a terminal disease, and is expected to live another 3 years, the last two of those in the ICU, calls the insurance company and says he wants policy A.

What happens at that point?

Old 12-01-2007, 06:21 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-control View Post
Personally I think that the program is wonderful - alot of uninsured people now have insurance and are not a drain on the system - i.e. my premiums paying for them when they enter an emergency room.
That statement seems like kind of an oxymoron --- "they are not a drain on the system---"my premiums" pay for them"?
Old 12-01-2007, 06:38 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
But are there any other States that have passed a law requiring all to be covered by health insurance?
Not Oregon, yet.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:30 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Arnold (California Governor) is trying to get a health insurance program put in place similar to Mass. but Republicans don't like it because business would be required to pay into the system if they do not offer insurance. Democrats are opposed to it because it would require everyone to have insurance. Insurance companies would be required to write policies on everyone including those with preexisting conditions. It does not look like it will pass. Plus Arnold's plan would use existing system of insurance companies. This just adds a bunch of profit to their bottom line. There are no cost controls in the system and without cost controls look out. In California an insurance company is required under certain conditions to write or rewrite a policy on people with preexisting conditions but there are no cost controls. So insurance companies put a price on your policy that is so high you can not afford it. We are currently on the Federal COBRA plan and are switching to what is called CAL-COBRA. This allows another 18 months of insurance coverage under the group rate your former employer gets. There is a catch we now must pay an additional 10% to the insurance company for admin expenses. You would think that the 20 to 30% overhead insurance companies currently get would be enough but they will now get $100 a month just to have their computer send us a bill.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:25 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Let's say in New Jersey, a healthy 50-year-old retired person calls the insurance company and gets policy A and it costs $3,600 per year.

Now another 50-year-old who has been diagnosed with a terminal disease, and is expected to live another 3 years, the last two of those in the ICU, calls the insurance company and says he wants policy A.

My understanding of the system is that only age and sex may be used in the underwriting and rate setting process, not health status.

So in your example both 50 year olds would receive the same quote for the same policy.

MA used to operate a scheme like this for auto insurance, perhaps they still do. Your driving record was irrelevant, only your age, sex, and rating territory were used to set rates. Over time many insurance companies stopped doing business in the commonwealth. I suspect that the same thing will happen eventually with health insurance.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:00 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

In my post above I was wrong. The insurance companies does not even bill me for the premium. I pay them the extra 10% or 100 for one letter sent the first of the year that states how much I must pay each month. I have to pay that amount by the first of each month without a bill. I am allowed to be late once before they cancel my insurance in a twelve month time period. Which they would like me to be so they can dump the old man.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:28 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Most states have pre-existing condition waiting periods of six months to a year, unless you had prior health insurance that may be credited against that waiting period. If there weren't such waiting periods, why would anyone bother with insurance? You need to have exclusions or require everyone to have insurance.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health insurance