Join Early Retirement Today

Overweight less likely to suffer from dementia?
Old 04-10-2015, 07:34 AM   #1

Overweight less likely to suffer from dementia?

Here's a surprising news item from BBC Being overweight 'reduces dementia risk' - BBC News
Quote:
The team at Oxon Epidemiology and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine analysed medical records from 1,958,191 people aged 55, on average, for up to two decades.

Their most conservative analysis showed underweight people had a 39% greater risk of dementia compared with being a healthy weight.But those who were overweight had an 18% reduction in dementia - and the figure was 24% for the obese.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2015, 07:38 AM   #2

Thanks for posting! This confirms my lunch plans.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:38 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

But........without wanting to sound "smart" I wonder if it's because thinner people live longer? My Doc told me to lose weight when I became a pre-diabetic and I have .....some but I'm still a little overweight but not as much. Everything we do is a trade off I guess.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
Everything we do is a trade off I guess.
OTOH, the "Life Extension" people claim that you should practically starve yourself if you want to reach age 100. (I'm not sure if I want to, though!)

I'm back to the same weight I was when getting out of HS after losing about 15 lbs. a few years ago and I'm VERY happy. Being overweight just carries too many other risks.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:41 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Seems to fall victim to the standard press technique of "implication of causation through correlation".
Old 04-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Seems to fall victim to the standard press technique of "implication of causation through correlation".
+1
Old 04-10-2015, 09:11 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Really interesting article, Michael. At the least the results could lead researchers a new direction to look for reasons (vitamin deficiencies, for example, are mentioned in the article).
Old 04-10-2015, 10:01 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

On the other hand, this caveat is particularly telling:
But Dr Qizilbash said the findings were not an excuse to pile on the pounds or binge on Easter eggs.

"You can't walk away and think it's OK to be overweight or obese. Even if there is a protective effect, you may not live long enough to get the benefits," he added.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by plsprius View Post
On the other hand, this caveat is particularly telling:
But Dr Qizilbash said the findings were not an excuse to pile on the pounds or binge on Easter eggs.

"You can't walk away and think it's OK to be overweight or obese. Even if there is a protective effect, you may not live long enough to get the benefits," he added.
Kill joy. Party pooper. Can't us fat people have just one little piece of good news?
Old 04-10-2015, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
But........without wanting to sound "smart" I wonder if it's because thinner people live longer?
That was my first reaction even before reading the responses. I wonder what the dementia score is for smokers?
Old 04-10-2015, 10:48 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Now, if they had only added overweight AND UGLY, I would be home free!
Old 04-10-2015, 10:55 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's food for thought.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:58 AM   #13

The problems with studies that talk about risks related to people being underweight or normal weight v. overweight is that sometimes you need to look at why someone is lower weight. For example, smokers tend to weigh less or people who have some serious illnesses.

It also looks from the summary that they adjusted for some confounders but it doesn't indicate which ones. So - interesting study, but I think not very explanatory at this point. That is, it does not say that being overweight causes the lower dementia risk.

Also, jerome len, they seem to say they adjusted for the mortality issue but the summary doesn't give any details of that.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:58 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Meanwhile, I have been diagnosed with osteopenia. Since I'm addicted to weight-bearing exercise, eat calcium foods all day long, walks in the sun, and take Vitamin D, it has been blamed on my being Caucasian...and thin. Actually I am at BMI 20.8, which is far from underweight.

So, ya can't win. Age will get you no matter what.

Amethyst
Old 04-10-2015, 11:15 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

From this I get that you don't want to be underweight.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:32 AM   #16

I have a 20.6 BMI. I think i'll have a couple cheeseburgers for lunch and a pizza for dinner.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

It's an interesting correlation. I wonder if the actual cause will turn out to be dietary, such as relative intake of certain fats or vitamins, or some difference in physiology.

It's one more clue.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:33 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh great, now I can stop worrying and enjoy the sweets more instead of feeling guilty when I have it.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Thank you. I could never get back the couple minutes of my life I didn't waste by not reading this.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:12 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Another interesting consideration: the medical records of almost 2 million British people were studied from age 55, beginning 20 years ago. So the oldest are 75, who would have been born in 1945, near the end of WW2. Wonder if there were factors affecting those children's development (nutrition, air pollution, etc.) to study in relation to late onset Alzheimers.