Pain during routine blood draw

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
In the lab this morning for blood test, had a strange experience. I've had gallons of blood drawn over the years and needles do not bother me, but today, just after the nurse stuck the needle in and started to draw I had a very sharp stinging and burning sensation that began halfway between the elbow and wrist and continued to the wrist. She withdrew the needle, switched arms and everything went well after that. The pain subsided very slowly, and I can still feel it a couple of hours later. Anyone have any idea what happened?

Last edited:
The needle hit a nerve. I lost partial use of my arm and shoulder from such an event. No more golf for me.

While in ROTC in the earlier '60s we had a blood draw. First one for me. A person came around and stuck a needle in your arm and handed you a bulb where you were to pump your own blood. A nurse eventually came around and asked why I had so little blood pumped. I told her it hurt each time I gave a pump and then I showed her. She was shocked. The attendant had run the needle through a muscle and every time I pumped, the needle swung through a wide arc. The nurse repositioned the needle and things went smoothly.

It's the same as pricking your finger for a blood sugar test, or injecting insulin, or anything else that involves needles. 99% of the time, there's nothing to notice. But every once in a while you hit a nerve and it hurts like hell. Obviously your needle was bigger, it went deeper, and it hurt worse. Ordinarily I'd say nothing to worry about, except then I read what GrayHare said. Hopefully it will just go away.

Yes she probably nicked a tiny nerve the elbow region. Hurts but lasting harm is not likely.

You can apply for disability ;).

GreyHare, sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Thanks for the responses. Four hours later the discomfort is mostly gone, now hard to distinguish from my everyday wear and tear. I guess I've been fortunate, lots of blood drawn over the years and this is the first time a nerve was nicked.

You can apply for disability ;).
According to DW I'm just as bad now as I was yesterday, but not any worse. :D

Last edited:
I've had blood drawn many times also. Some times it just hurts more than others, although I've never had the stinging and burning sensation you described. Glad you are better now.

Back
Top Bottom