Join Early Retirement Today

Pain in bone break site, much later in life
Old 02-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Pain in bone break site, much later in life

Is it common for sites of bone breakage to ache later in life? (even if properly set and healed)
a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2013, 03:46 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have seen this sometimes (i.e. wrist) but would not say it is "common" (as in "normally expected").
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a View Post
Is it common for sites of bone breakage to ache later in life? (even if properly set and healed)
Not sure how common it is but I have experienced this. Fifteen years ago my arm was broken about 6" above the wrist, requiring plates/screws (which were removed after approx 18 months). My surgeon indicated that it was not that unusual, as I went back to see him when I first experienced this a few years after the last surgery. To be sure there was no issue, he x-rayed the arm again. Although I still have aches/pain at times, it does not appear to be getting worse with age.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is common for everything to ache later in life. I have screws and other metal in me and I am reminded that they are there every single day.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Doesn't the bone break site become a weather forecaster of humidity levels?

I had a fractured pinky while in college and each time humid days were approaching or arrived, the pinky would hurt. The forecasting stopped eventually so the bone must have healed.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I broke a bone in my foot many years ago and it definitely reminds me every time the weather gets cold. Disappears once Spring arrives.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Had broken humerus about 30 or 40 years ago, broken collar bone 10 or so yrs agao.

They worked as weather pedictors for about five years. They no longer do that.

OTOH I like the late George Burns' line: If I wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, I must be dead.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I have seen this sometimes (i.e. wrist) but would not say it is "common" (as in "normally expected").
I broke my wrist, collar bone, and ankle. i sometimes have aches and dull pains in the wrist that I broke, but not in the other areas.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #9

Would that be arthritis you folks are feeling?
Old 02-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone. It sounds like I should not worry about it
until it comes.
a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #11

Seems to be fairly common. I can attest that the screws and plates they used to put my right let back together ache like a son of a gun when it's cold...
Old 02-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Any joint that sustains a fracture through the joint is going to be susceptible to osteaoarthritis. But it may take 50 years to show up, or it may never show up.

My hip hurts much less in warm sunny weather, as others here have mentioned. Overall it is not a big enough problem that I would consider moving to a different climate to alleviate it.

Ha