Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Only one of the choices has an association with cyanide, which might be unhealthful....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2016, 07:31 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh my. Now I too remember what Brazil nuts were called. It was also my grandpa who used the vile term. Although an educated man his southern racist background came increasingly to the fore in his dotage, embarrassing us to no end.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:39 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Peanuts vs. Almonds
Which kind of nut is better for you?
No fair looking it up...
So the answer is the same if the questions was:

Which kind of nut is worse for you?

-ERD50
Old 03-04-2016, 07:51 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Before people get too worried about the old name for Brazil nuts, I received a box of mixed nuts as a present when I was in the Air Force in the early 70's. Several of the people in the office gathered around to share. One white girl called them by the name not mentioned and then covered her mouth in embarrassment when she realized what she had said in front of the black girl at her side. The black girl started laughing and said "don't worry , that's what we call them too!".
Old 03-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #25

Almonds
Old 03-05-2016, 06:18 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
very funny..
+1 The fresh ones are a bit on the soft side though.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:23 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 The fresh ones are a bit on the soft side though.
Yes, but they can have quite a kick to them.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:27 AM   #28

Talking about nuts

Old 03-05-2016, 07:15 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-d...guide-to-nuts/

Quote:
Of all Primal-approved food categories, none is more bedeviling to even seasoned followers of the lifestyle than nuts. The questions never end. What is a nut? When you’ve got all these nut-like gymnosperms, drupes, and legumes masquerading as nuts, what even qualifies as an actual nut? Does it even matter? Or phytic acid. Is it or isn’t it a problem? And soaking — am I supposed to soak every type of nut, just some nuts, or none of them? Aren’t nuts really high in omega-6s, which we’re supposedly trying to limit or at least balance with our omega-3 intake? How do we reconcile that conflict? Why is “hazelnut” one word, while “pine nut” is two?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:48 AM   #30

Up until about two years ago I was convinced I was allergic to all nuts, tree nuts and peanuts (which are a legume as others pointed out). Once, when I was a kid, I ate something loaded with walnut pieces not realizing it until I was about halfway through. I had previously eaten granola bars with almond pieces in it unknowingly. No issues. So one day, I grabbed a handful of almonds and told my wife, "watch me." Before she could stop me, I ate a couple of almonds... no issue.

I know I'm allergic to peanuts. How allergic? I don't know. I get hives if it touches my skin and my eyes water when someone else is shelling peanuts nearby. That's enough for me. Sister goes into anaphylaxis, so we all pass on peanuts.

Since my reckless experiment, I've incorporated almonds into my daily diet, along with walnuts and macadamia nuts each several times a week. Good for you, good source of healthy fats and sustaining energy!

Peanuts suck. ;-)
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:49 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

almonds (not fried almonds) are healthier than peanuts.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Early Introduction to Allergenic Foods May Be the Key to Preventing Kids Allergies

I've been saying this for years, but it was just my opinion. Of course I always used to say that eventually science would figure out that chocolate and lard are good for you. Maybe people should start listening to me. Nah, I'm still wrong way more than I'm right (according to DW).

Quote:
For decades, pediatricians and other health experts argued that parents should delay a child’s exposure to so-called allergenic foods such as peanuts, eggs, wheat and cow’s milk. But in recent years that belief has changed and now researchers are eager to prove early introduction, not avoidance, is actually the key to preventing serious food allergies.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickt View Post
almonds (not fried almonds) are healthier than peanuts.
Naah..they're all dead when I eat 'em.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Huh! What about Corn Nuts?
Old 03-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #35

Before the thread dies... here's LiveStrong's take on the question.

Nutrition of Peanuts Vs. Almonds | LIVESTRONG.COM

For me, a side issue... the price of Almonds is about 3 times the price of the same weight in peanuts.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Which is more "healthy"?

Almonds.JPG Peanuts.JPG
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:00 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Since they are the healthy ones, I picked up a big bag of almond M&ms
Old 03-06-2016, 07:25 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I thought it was peanuts that were healthy. Oh no now the Ben & Jerry's Peanut Butter Fudge I bought isn't healthy? At 300 calories for a half cup it better be something.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:43 PM   #39

So all these years Mr. Peanut has been running a shell game?
Old 03-06-2016, 07:50 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Early Introduction to Allergenic Foods May Be the Key to Preventing Kids Allergies

I've been saying this for years, but it was just my opinion. Of course I always used to say that eventually science would figure out that chocolate and lard are good for you. Maybe people should start listening to me. Nah, I'm still wrong way more than I'm right (according to DW).
"For decades, pediatricians and other health experts argued that parents should delay a child’s exposure to so-called allergenic foods such as peanuts, eggs, wheat and cow’s milk. But in recent years that belief has changed and now researchers are eager to prove early introduction, not avoidance, is actually the key to preventing serious food allergies."

That should say 'some pediatricians'. DW who is a pediatrician ate peanuts in all of her pregnancies and all of the children got peanuts as infants. They would been considered relatively high risk for allergies given family histories. Peanut allergy in 1 out of 4.

I'm a big believer in the 'if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger' philosophy. It's seems likely that in our obsession to be 'clean' that we are not being exposed to enough germs at an early enough age. This is one of the current theories as to why we are seeing so much asthma in high resource countries.