Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-06-2016, 08:20 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
So all these years Mr. Peanut has been running a shell game?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 08:24 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
"For decades, pediatricians and other health experts argued that parents should delay a child’s exposure to so-called allergenic foods such as peanuts, eggs, wheat and cow’s milk. But in recent years that belief has changed and now researchers are eager to prove early introduction, not avoidance, is actually the key to preventing serious food allergies."

That should say 'some pediatricians'. DW who is a pediatrician ate peanuts in all of her pregnancies and all of the children got peanuts as infants. They would been considered relatively high risk for allergies given family histories. Peanut allergy in 1 out of 4.

I'm a big believer in the 'if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger' philosophy. It's seems likely that in our obsession to be 'clean' that we are not being exposed to enough germs at an early enough age. This is one of the current theories as to why we are seeing so much asthma in high resource countries.
DW was diagnosed with celiac in 1981 back in early days. She used rice and corn flours, as there wasn't cheap alternatives back then. Both my kids, born in early '80's, were severely allergic to rice and corn until their teens.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:56 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Almonds are alkaline forming, which helps balance the typically acidic American diet.

GORA is my gym and trail snack of choice, though I think GORP tastes a little better.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #44

Peanuts vs. Almonds

Almonds have more vitamin E than peanuts, IIRC.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-07-2016, 11:52 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
What's "good for you" changes by the minute. If you're allergic to peanuts, the answer is obvious, though.

Driving around in northern CA, I couldn't believe how many almond trees they had. Geeze!
Hopefully a craze that will end well for the farms. Land has been selling for a pretty penny. I do drink Almond milk and eat a lot of nuts in general so am part of the increased demand.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Almonds have more vitamin E than peanuts, IIRC.
You are correct.

Almond Vitamins:
Almond Vitamins.JPG

Peanut Vitamins:
Peanut Vitamins.JPG
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:37 PM   #47
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm gonna go with almonds..They always seem to appear in health food recipes and as someone said are a whole lot more expensive!
Old 03-16-2016, 02:16 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

It takes 20 liters of water to grow a single almond. Not relevant to nutrition, but interesting.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:27 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow But Steady View Post
It takes 20 liters of water to grow a single almond. Not relevant to nutrition, but interesting.
About 4 liters according to here: Amount of water needed to grow one almond, orange, tomato - Business Insider

Better not eat orange flavored M&Ms though. 52 liters (13.8 gallons) per orange.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #50

I like both but eat more peanuts cause they're cheaper.