Join Early Retirement Today

Pelvic fracture
Old 07-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pelvic fracture

While riding my bicycle two weeks ago I crashed and ended up in the ER. X-Rays and a Cat Scan determined I have a fracture of my pelvis. I'm told the fracture is stable, and I have not dislocated anything. However, my doctor instructed me to keep all weight off it for the next six weeks, so I've been hobbling along on crutches for the past two weeks.

The pain is relatively minor as long as I use crutches, but I can definitely feel a pull in the groin area. I haven't been able to spend much time with my doctor - it's a very busy practice, so I seem to get about 5-10 minutes of his attention at most before he's off to the next patient.

So, I've been wondering if anyone else has experience with this type of injury. What happens after six weeks? Do I just start walking normally again? Will there be pain? Will I need to do physical therapy or special exercises of some sort? Will this eventually heal completely, or is it possible that it might affect my walk on a permanent basis?

It's been quite frustrating to be so limited with the crutches, and having little information about what might happen after the six weeks of using crutches to avoid putting weight on it, I've been left to wonder what exactly I got myself into with all of this.

Does anyone have any experience with this they could share? I'm 46 years old, BTW, and otherwise in relatively good health.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

So sorry to hear about your accident. I have no fractures of such kind but have been bedridden a number of times due to accidents and surgeries. Our bodies adjust and recover pretty fast but you need to give it time. Naturally, rate of recovery in my 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s differ a lot. I would suggest you search the web on pelvis fracture recoveries as there's lots of info and sharing from others in similar situation esp in medical forums. The doctor and nurses can't tell you everything especially when you don't know the questions to ask. I found the web very helpful in one of my eye surgery for macular degeneration when I had to maintain head down position for 3 weeks as part of the recovery process. The tips I read helped me go through those weeks and prepare for any after effects. Take care!
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:34 AM   #3

I would insist on having physical therapy. That way you have the best chance of the least residual problems. They'll answer all those questions, check your range of motion, give you exercises, make sure you are doing them right.

I once skipped PT for a much more minor injury (sprained ankle) since it didn't "seem" like i needed it for my ankle, compared to what I was experiencing with a painful broken elbow (for which I did receive PT).

Nowadays, my elbow is fine. I still have some stiffness in part of my ankle.

Kindest regards.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #4

Pelvic fracture is not that uncommon in the cycling community.
My GP (58) is an avid cyclist. He crashed hard and broke his pelvis in several places. He was disabled for several months but fully recovered and rides pain free today.
The same thing happened to my nephew (24) with the same good results after a couple months of rehab.
Finally, a good friend (49) was run off the road by a hateful motorist, shattered her pelvis in many places, was in rehab for quite a few months but again recovered and rides without pain today.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I broke my hip about 3 years ago, had (4) screws put in. I was considered too young (woo-hoo) for a full hip replacement. I was running and had a hairline crack that developed and then walking up some steps I hear a loud pop and down I went. It was painful and not much fun to be totally truthful. After the surgery I was on crutches for about 3 more months but am fully recovered. With a full hip replacement I would have been walking within days but I am glad I didn't have to do that.

I didn't resume running for a long time--opted instead to do the elliptical. But recently I have started running again but not with the intensity I was doing and everything seems to be fine.

Good luck
hakuna matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #6

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I have been hobbling around a cruise ship on crutches since Sunday. Just got into port with Internet access. I never realized just how big a cruise ship was until I had to walk from front to back on one good leg and two crutches.

I still have more than three weeks before my next X-ray to determine if the fracture has healed. Then I guess I will be exploring physical therapy.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I have been hobbling around a cruise ship on crutches since Sunday. Just got into port with Internet access. I never realized just how big a cruise ship was until I had to walk from front to back on one good leg and two crutches.

I still have more than three weeks before my next X-ray to determine if the fracture has healed. Then I guess I will be exploring physical therapy.
Do you hold the affected leg completely off the ground? If you should put a bit of weight on the affected side, where does it hurt? I had this years ago,, and I cannot remember the details.

Ha
Old 07-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Do you hold the affected leg completely off the ground? If you should put a bit of weight on the affected side, where does it hurt? I had this years ago,, and I cannot remember the details.

Ha
I'm using two crutches but still allowing my right foot to touch the ground lightly. There is a very slight amount of pain in the right groin area, but not enough to really bother me. I asked the doctor if I could just use one crutch but he said he would not recommend it. I feel like I'm being overly cautious by using the crutches all the time but I've never been through this before so I'm taking the doctors advice even if it seems overly cautious.