Join Early Retirement Today

Peoples Benefit Alliance
Old 01-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Peoples Benefit Alliance

Does your individual health insurance force you to belong to the Peoples Benefit Alliance? My monthly health insurance premium includes $3.95 for membership in the PBA. It might only be associated with Humana policyholders.

The website is at peoples-benefit.com. You can login with 'memberpba' to see the "benefits" this membership provides. Junk.

The explanation received so far from Humana (on the phone) is that my state (FL) requires it. I've submitted a question to see if I can get additional information.

I have not paid much attention to the charge because Humana deducts a lump sum from my checking account every month and never provides any documentation, written or electronic, describing what the charges are for. When I signed up for the insurance, I was quoted a monthly premium which included this "service fee." Humana neglected to deduct the "service fee" with my premium in January. I noticed the reduced withdrawl and started asking some questions. I remember getting a PBA booklet when I first signed up with Humana but it was junk and I've never used it.

Also, it seems odd to not have any access to view charges and payments. I understand no paper these days but not even an electronic accounting. Is this the same for you....money just disappears from your checking account or charges just appear on your credit card every month?
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have Anthem Blue Cross. It does not have any tack on fees. My bill is sent and mailed monthly by check. Every three months they send me a quarterly report of expenses and deductible used. It always has been zeros because I have not accessed healthcare the past 18 months.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got BCBS. There are no tack on fees. When I get accepted, I remember the insurance agent saying there is a Members First savings plan (vision, dental, hearing, vitimin) program at no additional cost.

The Peoples Benefit Alliance looks similar to a membership I have in order to get my vision insurance. I elect to get vision insurance, but can't get that alone. Instead need to join a plan for $18 a month in order to then apply for vision insurance.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm with Humana, but I don't recall PBA membership. I don't let anyone do a direct debit to my accounts, so I received the bill the old fashion way, through the mail.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
I'm with Humana, but I don't recall PBA membership. I don't let anyone do a direct debit to my accounts, so I received the bill the old fashion way, through the mail.
They were going to charge me some other fee if I used a check or a cc so I allow them to debit.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Are you charged a processing fee because you request a paper invoice?
Old 01-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye

Are you charged a processing fee because you request a paper invoice?
Good question. I don't know. It never came up before now. I'll have to ask them.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Good question. I don't know. It never came up before now. I'll have to ask them.
Also, be sure to ask if you are a member of PBA. I saw Humana insurance in other states mention PBA when I googled Humana and PBA so I'm pretty sure it's not just an artifact of Florida.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #9

Is that part of their Silver Sneakers program where you can use different exercise facilities in the area? I know that option is available, though I haven't used it yet. I've been too busy watching the birds and stock tickers.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Is that part of their Silver Sneakers program where you can use different exercise facilities in the area? I know that option is available, though I haven't used it yet. I've been too busy watching the birds and stock tickers.
This health insurance is not related to Medicare.

Members of PBA receive online discounts by linking to shopping websites through the membership website. This is copied from the PBA website:

Through a membership in PBA, you will enjoy numerous health, travel, consumer, and business-related discounts and services. All of your discounts are explained in detail on this website.
While we believe you will be extremely pleased with your overall Association membership, we cannot, however, warrant or guarantee the performance of any discount or service.
You can count on PBA to continuously and aggressively seek out new disounts to add further value to your membership in the Association. As always, we invite and encourage your suggestions on ways PBA can be increasingly beneficial to you.
If you have any questions about your discounts, call 1-866-838-8437.
Again, a most cordial welcome to PBA.

I read the Terms and Conditions and it says the PBA will provide a rebate if the vendor pays them the contractual amount. In addition, there is an annual payout. If the balance is less than $25, your rebate balance rides for another year.

Junk.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #11

Humana requires it in some states, Golden Rule (United Healthcare/United Health One) requires it in some states, Assurant Health requires it in some states. From my understanding, there are different rules/regulations for policies run through an association versus not run through an association and it may depend on the state. Monthly fees are usually around $3-5 for each company and you can't opt out of it, otherwise they won't issue the policy.
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #12

It would be interesting to see the annual revenues generated. Why not 99 cents if membership is just a formality? It may only be $48 per year but it is my $48!
Old 02-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
It would be interesting to see the annual revenues generated. Why not 99 cents if membership is just a formality? It may only be $48 per year but it is my $48!
No clue, that's just the way it is.
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote