Personal profile...are you single? married?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So, I just came back from the doctor's office and had to update my personal info. I noticed that I was asked about three different incidents (at check in, updating my form, before having lab work done) about my status -- single? married?

Perhaps someone can clue me in...why is that such an important piece of data in the personal profile and health? I'm sure there's a reason more than just for the doctor's office's curiosity and I'm sure I wasn't hit on :LOL:

So, I just came back from the doctor's office and had to update my personal info. I noticed that I was asked about three different incidents (at check in, updating my form, before having lab work done) about my status -- single? married?

Perhaps someone can clue me in...why is that such an important piece of data in the personal profile and health? I'm sure there's a reason more than just for the doctor's office's curiosity and I'm sure I wasn't hit on :LOL:

Just answer "N/A" and see what they say! :LOL:

That information could help in determining whether or not to call a female patient "Mrs. Jones" or "Miss Jones".Other than that, I am not sure.

That information could help in determining whether or not to call a female patient "Mrs. Jones" or "Miss Jones".Other than that, I am not sure.

The secretary at my doctor's office calls all the young women the same name..........."girlfriend"............:LOL::LOL::LOL:

It may be a bit of a hold-over but there may be next-of-kin issues in the event of medical emergency. It may also help collection agencies.

I always felt that it was helpful to get to know my patients to build a comfortable relationship, and typically I ask "who else is at home beside yourself" which provides further information about potential disease exposures, stressors, etc.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

They want to come after your wife too if you don't pay your bill.

Ha

"Married" means just that, you are currently in a legal union with another person, as evidenced by the still valid marriage license.

"Single" could mean never married, divorced, or widowed.

Maybe two check boxes was all they could fit on the profile form. ;)

Insurance? HIPPA? I also had a dr visit early this morning and no one asked my marital status. Maybe someone IS hitting on you, ES!

I occasionally have to fill out those forms & when they say single ,married,divorced , widowed . I want to write in all of the above .:)

I occasionally have to fill out those forms & when they say single ,married,divorced , widowed . I want to write in all of the above .:)

How about retired - but willing to party.

heh heh heh - :whistle: :angel:

Insurance? HIPPA? I also had a dr visit early this morning and no one asked my marital status. Maybe someone IS hitting on you, ES!

I don't think so as that was the first question asked.

Now if it went...

Date of birth? Age?

Occupation? Oh...you are retired. how nice at such an early age.

So, are you married? ...single?

Then I was definitely hit on :D

How about retired - but willing to party.

heh heh heh - :whistle: :angel:

The nice thing about being retired was when filling out the form, instead of having to put in occupation, name of company, address, phone etc. I just put in N/A - Retired

Why do you think you have to distinguish between Single and Divorced? I've been divorced more years than I was married, so why do I have to keep on saying I am divorced? is what I wonder whenever I fill out those forms.

I alternate - not married, but not single either. Don't see many boxes for stable monogamous 33 year union. Hospitals get kinda pissy about letting someone other than a spouse or parent in if things are the least bit dicey. Even with a medical power of attorney. If things could be such that I want her in watching out for my interests while I'm knocked out she is noted as a spouse.

I don't think so as that was the first question asked.

Now if it went...

Date of birth? Age?

Occupation? Oh...you are retired. how nice at such an early age.

So, are you married? ...single?

Then I was definitely hit on :D

They already knew, guessed or don't care for the answers to the first 2 questions. I think you are being hit on.

I just came from the allergists office, new patient visit. They didnt ask me my marital status.

In my case, single is a big clue to the doctor - it means I am eating my own cooking! :LOL:

Why do you think you have to distinguish between Single and Divorced? I've been divorced more years than I was married, so why do I have to keep on saying I am divorced? is what I wonder whenever I fill out those forms.

This bugs me, too! I was divorced many years ago and I remember the first time I had to fill out a form which differentiated between Single and Divorced. I decided that it was nobody's business whether I *had* been married previously, and from that point forward starting checking Single. :)

Back
Top Bottom