Join Early Retirement Today

Personality and sleep position
Old 01-30-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Personality and sleep position

Don't know about the "next date" as being a indicator of a serious medical authority, but thought the article kind of interesting.
Sleep Position Says A Lot About You - The Daily Orbit - The Daily Orbit Videos - redOrbit
Quote:
Here’s a new question for you ask on your next date: So….what position do you sleep in? A new study found that sleeping positions affect personality by determining how we feel when we wake up. People who sleep on their backs with arms stretched out in front typically wake up feeling refreshed and eager to start their day. Sleeping face down with arms outstretched indicates a feeling of being “out of control” and leaves these people feeling tired with no energy. Those who sleep with a straight body are stubborn, and will feel stiff in the morning. And the most popular sleeping style? The fetal position. 58 percent of people sleep on their side with their knees up and head down– which is no surprise considering it is associated with stress. These people can expect to awake refreshed, having dealt with the previous days issues. I’m pretty sure I hit all of those positions at some point throughout the night. What does that say about me?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

you need a new mattress?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #3

It means you qualify for your own government study. File the right paperwork and you are sure to get millions of dollars!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I think it means you have dealt with all your issues during the night. You probably wake up everyday feeling like a new man. Ready to take on the day and pass your wisdom and experience on to the rest of us

NMF
NotMyFault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I always enjoy reading these articles, but I sure hope the researchers don't take their work any more seriously, than I do reading it. My personality doesn't dictate my sleeping position, my daily aches determine that. I don't even bother to try sleeping on my back, as within a minute of zonking out, a quick snore sound immediately wakes me up. I don't know how people can sleep through their own snoring as I can't get but one in without waking myself up.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I always enjoy reading these articles, but I sure hope the researchers don't take their work any more seriously, than I do reading it. My personality doesn't dictate my sleeping position, my daily aches determine that. I don't even bother to try sleeping on my back, as within a minute of zonking out, a quick snore sound immediately wakes me up. I don't know how people can sleep through their own snoring as I can't get but one in without waking myself up.
Seem here as regards aches and pains dictating my sleeping position. I also had the same issue of snoring when sleeping on my back but have cured that a few weeks ago by using Breathe Right nose strips. I'd seen a soccer player using them whenever he played to open up his nasal passages, and decided to give them a try (they are available from any pharmacy including Walmart and cheap enough). DW says that it has also increased her ability to get to sleep because I usually fall asleep first and start snoring, but now I don't.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan

Seem here as regards aches and pains dictating my sleeping position. I also had the same issue of snoring when sleeping on my back but have cured that a few weeks ago by using Breathe Right nose strips. I'd seen a soccer player using them whenever he played to open up his nasal passages, and decided to give them a try (they are available from any pharmacy including Walmart and cheap enough). DW says that it has also increased her ability to get to sleep because I usually fall asleep first and start snoring, but now I don't.
I have a few of them at home and might try it for the heck of it since I do enjoy laying on my back. Though my trouble seems to be my yapper opens up laying on my back, but doesn't when I lay on my side or stomach.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
I have a few of them at home and might try it for the heck of it since I do enjoy laying on my back. Though my trouble seems to be my yapper opens up laying on my back, but doesn't when I lay on my side or stomach.
That may be a problem as I found that I could fall asleep on my back or on my side with my gob shut, but then wake up a few hours later with my mouth tasting like the inside of a kangaroo's jock strap. I hadn't realized that my snoring was starting the instant I fell asleep until DW told me that the nose strips had stopped it happening. (what a sweetie )
Old 01-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
...then wake up a few hours later with my mouth tasting like the inside of a kangaroo's jock strap.
And you learned how that tastes...how?

(You had to know this one was coming... )
Old 01-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
And you learned how that tastes...how?

(You had to know this one was coming... )
Kangaroo jock strap eating was a tourist attraction when we last visited down under. Takes away the taste of the vegemite.

P.S.

I haven't tried this delicacy, but the jock strap sounds better..

Witchetty grubs
Feeling adventurous? The witchetty grub is the large, white, wood-eating larvae of several moths. Incredibly high in protein, these grubs are purported to taste like almonds. They can be eaten either raw or lightly cooked in hot ashes. The witchetty grub is considered a delicacy for the less squeamish, and a staple for many Indigenous Australians still living in the "bush"
Old 01-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Takes away the taste of the vegemite.
NOTHING takes away the taste of Vegemite!

(I sleep, mainly, on my left side......and also start to snore if I inadvertently fall asleep on my back.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
I also had the same issue of snoring when sleeping on my back but have cured that a few weeks ago by using Breathe Right nose strips. . DW says that it has also increased her ability to get to sleep because I usually fall asleep first and start snoring, but now I don't.
The perfect Valentine's present for the lovely sleep deprived Mrs.Alan !
Sleep Pretty In Pink Ear Plugs 14 ea - Pharmapacks
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Alan and REWahoo...

Y'all should team up and do Vegas...
Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
The perfect Valentine's present for the lovely sleep deprived Mrs.Alan !
Sleep Pretty In Pink Ear Plugs 14 ea - Pharmapacks

I expect she may say that it would take a lot more than pink earplugs to shut out the sound of my snoring
Old 01-31-2013, 04:44 AM   #15

Quote:
I expect she may say that it would take a lot more than pink earplugs to shut out the sound of my snoring
Most things work fairly well when used properly. In this case they need to be placed in the nose of the person snoring.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:13 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Same here, although my snoring has gotten much better since I have been working out regularly. But if I have alcohol I'll snore like a chainsaw. I can't sleep on my back because my arms eventually go numb. Not sure why - it even happens when sitting too long. I always start the night sleeping on one side (left side) in fetal position, then waking up in the middle of the night and sleeping on my stomach. It's weird that I cannot sleep on the other side (right side) of my body.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:32 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here’s a new question for you ask on your next date: So….what position do you sleep in?
Do you ask a date that question before or after you inquire about their FICO score?

I am so out of touch....
Quote:
Those who sleep with a straight body are stubborn, and will feel stiff in the morning.