Join Early Retirement Today

Phthalates in air fresheners
Old 11-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Phthalates in air fresheners

I went to a talk today and one of the speakers was Dr. Mark Schauss who spoke about the toxins we are exposed to. One of the toxins he discussed was phthalates. They are used to make plastics soft (used to be in teething rings & pacifiers) and in fragrances such as plug-in air fresheners. I don't use air fresheners but the family for whom I babysit do.

From what he discussed and what I read, phthalates are endocrine disruptors so it's probably best to avoid them, especially males. In addition, they may aggravate asthma which both the mother and 6-year old son have.

I'll be passing the info along to the mom and hopefully she'll reconsider using them. I know I don't want to be breathing that stuff for a couple of hours every day.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2011, 04:17 AM   #2

I would never ever use them. The best air freshener is an open window in my location.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am highly allergic to air fresheners. Don't have any in the house. Also allergic to Pledge cleaners. Don't know what is in them, don't care. We don't use it (them).

Now for a real kicker, some years ago identified PPD in red hair dye, especially the ones that "hold color real good" as one that WILL put me in the ER with serious increase in resting pulse - zips way past 150 in just sitting, and breathing problems. Now DW uses the stuff that is less "real good" in keeping color, and I sleep in our guest room for at least 4 to 5 nights, and she goes swimming at least twice. Then I do a sniff test. Before returning to the bedroom. Maybe there is a Man-Cave in my future and she gets visiting rights.

Ah, compromises in marriage. DW insists on being red-head.

Have learned to avoid like the plague the isles in any store with scented candles. Fortunately they reek so bad, I can detect them from 50 feet way.

Do resent all this bad chemistry garbage messing with my life.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
...Have learned to avoid like the plague the isles in any store with scented candles. Fortunately they reek so bad, I can detect them from 50 feet way.
Same here...strongly scented candles, especially the faux vanilla and fruity ones, make me nauseous. I avoid ALL gift shops for that reason. Gag

The grocery store laundry detergent aisle is where I set my new walking speed records. Buzz down the aisle, grab what I need, and exit quickly. Vroommmmm...

I use A&H unscented powder detergent. I buy 2 large boxes at a time when I can find it.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Just think how many different scents most people are festooned with: clothing laundry detergent and dryer sheets, soap, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, air freshener, sweat, perfume, lotion, smoke -- did I miss any?
Old 11-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #6

I talked to the mom and the air fresheners are out.

They aren't gone because of the phthalate issue but the phthalate issue made me realize I was "dealing with" the horrible fragrance overload during my time at their house. I would open the front door and WHAM! The effect was less in the summer when the AC was running constantly. Now that it is cooler, the air is moving less and I was leaving with burning eyes, burning throat and a headache.

I told her, "Do you have one of those people in your office who complains when anyone wears perfume or cologne? Well, that person is me!" I told her I couldn't continue babysitting long term with the air fresheners operating due to my hyper-sensitivity to fragrances and that I would understand if she felt she needed to keep them. Luckily, her response was "Unplug them!"

I have been babysitting for their family for 3 months and I'm the only babysitter she and her sister have used other than family since all their kids were born (5, 6, 7, & 8). They love me because I do dishes and laundry (as well as the kids liking me) but I was still worried she was going to be attached to her air fresheners.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I went to a talk today and one of the speakers was Dr. Mark Schauss who spoke about the toxins we are exposed to. One of the toxins he discussed was phthalates.
I hear a big duck going "Quack Quack Quack". His "Doctorate" is in... are you ready for this... Business! Yup, NOT a medical doctor. Could just as well have a "Dr." in Theology or Political Science, or International Studies.

Toxins indeed. If he talks like that, than he is just like the majority of media people, who are clueless (hey, I could stop right there!) about the words "toxin" and "toxic".

"Toxin", indeed. Bwaahaaahaaa
Old 11-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #8

"Toxin", indeed. Bwaahaaahaaa [/QUOTE]

I suppose you like your salad with a little DDT. You are a fool if you think better living through chemistry is the way to go. There are plenty of toxins that are making people sick out in the world. Get over it.
grasshopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
I would never ever use them. The best air freshener is an open window in my location.
I agree but the windows don't stay open long when it's 25 below in December and January.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Please, let's keep it civil people.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
I suppose you like your salad with a little DDT. You are a fool if you think better living through chemistry is the way to go. There are plenty of toxins that are making people sick out in the world. Get over it.
I may indeed be a fool... but an ignorant fool I'm not

I knew the difference between "toxin" and "toxic" way back in elementary school.

The majority of TV/Cable media people, internet writers, "lifestyle" writers, and even some newspaper writers have no clue about "toxins". It seems the Dr (of Business) Schauss doesn't either, as he is busy making a business of it for himself.

If "toxins" are such a concern to you, please list five toxins that you have been exposed to in the last, say, 25 years. If it is such a problem, you should have no difficulty coming up with just 5.

To anyone else, if you have doubts, PLEASE check with a reputable source of information, such as a decent dictionary, or even wiki. A medical doctor knows what a toxin is... and is not. You should too, and you will see how silly things like the "colon cleansing" fad of a few years ago was ("cleanse your body of those 'toxins' ")
Few Americans are affected by "toxins". But you should be aware of the most-likely toxin delivery methods for your own long-term safety.

Quote:
You are a fool if you think better living through chemistry is the way to go.
No, let's go back to cave man days. Who needs chemistry.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #12

Oh, and I wish everyone a Happy and toxin-free Thanksgiving for you and yours.

(stay away from the swelled cans!)
Old 11-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly

If "toxins" are such a concern to you, please list five toxins that you have been exposed to in the last, say, 25 years. If it is such a problem, you should have no difficulty coming up with just 5.
deadly dihydrogen monoxide.
Oxygen
Nitrogen
Carbon dioxide
Ethyl alcohol.

All toxins, toxic and downright lethal under the right conditions. ;-)
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #14

DHMO - The Invisible Killer
Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.
Dihydrogen monoxide:
  • is also known as hydroxyl acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
  • contributes to the "greenhouse effect."
  • contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
  • accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
  • may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
  • has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
Contamination Is Reaching Epidemic Proportions!
Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake, and reservoir in America today. But the pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. DHMO has caused millions of dollars of property damage in the Midwest, and recently California.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

• as an industrial solvent and coolant.
  • in nuclear power plants.
  • in the production of Styrofoam.
  • as a fire retardant.
  • in many forms of cruel animal research.
  • in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
  • as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.
Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal. The impact on wildlife is extreme, and we cannot afford to ignore it any longer!

The Horror Must Be Stopped!

The American government has refused to ban the production, distribution, or use of this damaging chemical due to its "importance to the economic health of this nation." In fact, the navy and other military organizations are conducting experiments with DHMO, and designing multi-billion dollar devices to control and utilize it during warfare situations. Hundreds of military research facilities receive tons of it through a highly sophisticated underground distribution network. Many store large quantities for later use.

It's Not Too Late!

Act NOW to prevent further contamination. Find out more about this dangerous chemical. What you don't know can hurt you and others throughout the world.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
DHMO - The Invisible Killer
Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.
Dihydrogen monoxide:
  • is also known as hydroxyl acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
  • contributes to the "greenhouse effect."
  • contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
  • accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
  • may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
  • has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
Contamination Is Reaching Epidemic Proportions!
Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake, and reservoir in America today. But the pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. DHMO has caused millions of dollars of property damage in the Midwest, and recently California.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

• as an industrial solvent and coolant.
  • in nuclear power plants.
  • in the production of Styrofoam.
  • as a fire retardant.
  • in many forms of cruel animal research.
  • in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
  • as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.
Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal. The impact on wildlife is extreme, and we cannot afford to ignore it any longer!

The Horror Must Be Stopped!

The American government has refused to ban the production, distribution, or use of this damaging chemical due to its "importance to the economic health of this nation." In fact, the navy and other military organizations are conducting experiments with DHMO, and designing multi-billion dollar devices to control and utilize it during warfare situations. Hundreds of military research facilities receive tons of it through a highly sophisticated underground distribution network. Many store large quantities for later use.

It's Not Too Late!

Act NOW to prevent further contamination. Find out more about this dangerous chemical. What you don't know can hurt you and others throughout the world.
It may be a silent killer but it mixes well with scotch whiskey...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
That it does.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
That it does.
No, it still needs a bit of ice
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Ice= supercooled DHMO
Old 11-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
I hear a big duck going "Quack Quack Quack". His "Doctorate" is in... are you ready for this... Business! Yup, NOT a medical doctor. Could just as well have a "Dr." in Theology or Political Science, or International Studies.

Toxins indeed. If he talks like that, than he is just like the majority of media people, who are clueless (hey, I could stop right there!) about the words "toxin" and "toxic".

"Toxin", indeed. Bwaahaaahaaa
Yes, his degree is in business. Statistical analysis is something he does a lot of. He brought this up in his talk. College degrees are good to have in any subject as (to me) they tend to show a person knows how to learn. It does not concern me in the slightest if his degree is not related to his passion which is the study of environmental toxins and their effect on human health.

He tried to sell us nothing, not even a copy of his book.

I have 4 college degrees including one Masters degree but I don't think I could point to much of anything I learned in college that I used directly on the job over my working career.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:09 PM   #20

Before I posted on this topic, I did some searching on Schauss. Either the man is totally incapable of using a dictionary, or it is all on purpose and he has targeted his whole spiel towards a particular audience.

I suspect, but of course cannot prove, it is the latter.