Join Early Retirement Today

Plan not available in 2017, should I pay Dec Premiums
Old 11-12-2016, 07:27 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Plan not available in 2017, should I pay Dec Premiums

just got a letter for my 10,000 deductible plan, lasted longer than i thought, figured this would happen. I seemed to remember rumors it takes over 30 days to cancel my plan for non payment. I am looking at a 100% increase, no subsidies for me.
perrytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2016, 07:57 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What do you plan to do if you have a heart attack in December? Or get shot during a botched robbery at an ATM? Or slip and fall and need back surgery? You're just gonna roll the dice?

What do you plan to do about your credit that gets slammed when you dont pay your final premium?
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:13 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

You can always wait until the last minute but remember these insurance companies are extremely busy this time of the year.

I went through turmoil last year after signing up for Obamacare and mailing in a check in the middle of December for Jan. 1 coverage. BCBS of Tennessee STATED they did not get the check so I paid again through my online bank. Still did not go through and they only wanted my payment online through their website. Due to possible hacking there was no way I was going that route since Blue Cross Athem was hacked a few months earlier. The end of December with NO payments applied I was threatened with no coverage. I went ahead and paid by debit card and then had my bank cancel and reissue me another debit card.

This was extremely stressful since the only thing the reps would say to me is that I did not have coverage. Three weeks later BC found ALL of my payments so I paid in advance through March.

I am paying my premium for Jan. 1 coverage as soon an BCBS sends me the bill. The website stated they would no longer accept credit card payments.
littleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleb View Post
I am paying my premium for Jan. 1 coverage as soon an BCBS sends me the bill. The website stated they would no longer accept credit card payments.

Cute. They basically granted themselves a little rate increase by avoiding credit card fees.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:01 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Be careful....

Back during the first year I was on an exchange plan.... then got health insurance from a temp job as I had worked enough hours... when I went back to the exchange the company I was using still had been billing me for months... I had signed with them, but they wanted all the back premiums...

To shorten the story, I had to go through the exchange, prove that I had insurance for the months I did not pay.... the exchange then back dated my cancellation and the insurance company credited my account.... it took months to get this done...

Do NOT think that just not making your payment will be enough.... you are supposed to go on the exchange and cancel your plan....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:59 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

thanks for feed back,
obviously i am not wanting to risk having no insurance, otherwise i would have not posted, just as some here play with income to get subsidies, i wanted to get a free month of coverage, just playing by the rules they provided. Since nobody knows if it it takes 30 days to cancel me, then i should pay Dec, and get going on a replacement policy with them being all busy, i pay by check every month, envelope and stamp. i am not on an exchange, i get no subsidies. and i don't care much about my credit, i seriously doubt missing one months insurance premium would do much. I am old and cranky, too
perrytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:20 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrytime View Post
thanks for feed back,
obviously i am not wanting to risk having no insurance, otherwise i would have not posted, just as some here play with income to get subsidies, i wanted to get a free month of coverage, just playing by the rules they provided. Since nobody knows if it it takes 30 days to cancel me, then i should pay Dec, and get going on a replacement policy with them being all busy, i pay by check every month, envelope and stamp. i am not on an exchange, i get no subsidies. and i don't care much about my credit, i seriously doubt missing one months insurance premium would do much. I am old and cranky, too

Actually, yes it can do much.... there might be a law or something on this, so take it with a grain of salt...

But, say you do not pay... and on Dec 31 you have a major accident.... you are in a coma.... they take a look and see that you did not pay Dec premium... why do they have to cover you I do not think they do... And since you are in a coma there is no way you can try and send a check in to keep your insurance....

The only way I would 'play' and not pay a month of premium is with COBRA.... you do get a month to think about signing up... so if you plan to get on another plan then it is legal to send in a check at the end of the month and be covered for the whole month...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote