Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
I had a bad case of PF a few years ago, got it from slipping while reffing a rugby match. One of the things that helped me was learning how to tape your foot. The doctor would have me tape the foot and leave it taped. Taking every third night off. It was good, but I also had the additional stress of reffing and playing rugby while I tried to get it to heal. If you are planning on playing tennis, I would definitely ask the doc to show you how to tape your foot.
Interesting and I'll definitely consider that when I start playing again. I already wear ankle straps that bind tightly under the foot as well as up and across the ankles. Along with the new innersoles I may have to consider larger shoes to fit orthotics, strapping, socks, then ankle supports

Already my DW and son laugh at me getting ready to play tennis. As well as the foot and ankle strapping, I put on knee supports, a back support and wrist strapping on my tennis racket hand. Getting old definitely has its disadvantages but I'm going to try and extend my tennis playing days as long as I can.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

After years of playing rugby, we joke about taking up darts as a retirement "sport". I just had my third knee surgery, I have had 4 shoulder surgeries, wrist surgery and an elbow surgery.... I think I should have listened to my farther and taken up golf!

Old 12-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've had plantar fasciitis in both feet at different times. With once of the occurences I did all the required taping and stretching and ended up with the injections into the heel area which really helped. It wasn't as bad as it sounds.

Now I keep a stretch band near the bed and do a nice flex of each foot before getting out of bed. I also use a slant board for a foot stretch after walking for exercise.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
After years of playing rugby, we joke about taking up darts as a retirement "sport". I just had my third knee surgery, I have had 4 shoulder surgeries, wrist surgery and an elbow surgery.... I think I should have listened to my farther and taken up golf!
I was required to play rugby at Grammar School in England but never liked it - too many injuries - I used to be a prop in the scrum. Soccer was my game, however I finally gave that up after a series of injuries including badly messed up ankle, dislocated fingers, knee surgery, surgeries to both shoulders and back surgery.

I also used to play on the pub's darts team, and the only injuries I received doing that can be attributed to the amount of beer consumed during and after a match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I've had plantar fasciitis in both feet at different times. With once of the occurences I did all the required taping and stretching and ended up with the injections into the heel area which really helped. It wasn't as bad as it sounds.

Now I keep a stretch band near the bed and do a nice flex of each foot before getting out of bed. I also use a slant board for a foot stretch after walking for exercise.
I wouldn't shy away from a shot if the Doc suggested it. I've had a number of cortisone shots in the shoulders in the not too distant past and don't remember them being too bad. (not saying that it is cortisone that is recommended for PF).

A friend tells me he still uses a knobbly orange ball to roll his foot over after exercising. (He had PF 20 years ago and also ended up having a shot). So, I think I have lots of options.

Great advice everyone - thank you.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
,<snip>I've had plantar fasciitis in both feet at different times. With once of the occurences I did all the required taping and stretching and ended up with the injections into the heel area which really helped. It wasn't as bad as it sounds.
I was concerned when the doc said I needed a shot...I thought it would really be painful and told him so. He said it would be painful if he didn't give me a numbing shot first.

I barely felt the numbing shot; and with the second shot I felt nothing at all.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I had PF for a couple of years. Just suffered it, and thought it was just one of those things that came with old age. There were times it hurt so much, particularly in the morning when I took the first steps out of bed. Thought to myself, gosh, if it hurt like this in the 50s, I wouldn't want to live till the 80s.

Then, one day, mentioned it to my doctor in an annual visit. After learning what it was, I then discovered it was caused by my walking barefoot inside the house, which was mostly hardwood floor. Once I learned to use slippers, just a very thin cheap pair, I slowly returned to normal.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
After learning what it was, I then discovered it was caused by my walking barefoot inside the house, which was mostly hardwood floor.
Mine was caused by riding my exercycle barefoot. I don't do that barefoot any more. Haven't had any symptoms for years but I'll never forget how painful it was at the time.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I assumed pain was normal with "old age" (in real life, I look younger than my age, kind of like Ronstar), because

"You know you are old when everything hurts. What doesn't hurt, doesn't work" - George Burns.

So, I was simply grateful that my feet still worked, and just suffered in silence.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #29

I walk A LOT (thanks to my hyper border collie) and I've had PA flare up on and off over the years (especially when I had a job where I was on my feet most of the day). I've also just had mild heel pain - more of what I've experienced over the last few years.

I've never done the doctor visits and just dealt with it or tried a few of the remedies I could do on my own such as not walking around inside w/o support under my feet.

Couple of things I have stumbled on to lately that have helped ease heel pain issues:

1) I tried the athletic shoes w/the flexible soles by accident (ordered a pair not realizing it came w/flexible soles). For whatever reason, the shoes feel great to me even though it appears to be less cushion. Maybe it is that your feet move more naturally in 'em as opposed to other athletic shoes where you conform to the insole/tread.

2) As noted, I started to wear something that offered support while inside. It can be pretty much anything, although flip flops are generally not recommended as it needs to stick to your feet, but I will give you one product that I think is the most comfortable out there. It is made by the company that does the memory type foam for beds and they just so happen to have a line of indoor type mocs. My sister gave me a pair for x-mas years back (the Classic Velours) after she bought some after working the long 12 hr nurse shifts. One of the few x-mas gifts I still rave about

http://www.tempurpedic.com/tempur-pedic/Slippers.asp
Old 12-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #30

Thanks Wildcat. My heel is very much improved following the Doc's advice, which is similar to yours. As well as the stretching exercises I purchased the inner soles he recommended for $25 from Sports Acadamy, plus he recommended Crocs for wearing around the house instead of bare feet or regular slippers. I guess they are similar to those tempurpedic ones in the link you posted.

A nice thing about the Crocs is that they are cool, and I had a pair anyway that I use for outdoors in the summer. I'm wearing them indoors now as well instead of slippers. I'll also take them with me when we visit our daughter for the Christmas week, as her house is all wood floors.

I'm hoping it was the hundreds of miles we hiked this summer that has caused the problem and that in 3 or 4 weeks I'll be able to start playing tennis again. We threw our boots away before we came back from vacation as they were well worn and ~7 years old. Should have listened to the advice given in Younger Next Year - exercise is very important so buy good kit - don't skimp!!

We'll treat ourselves to new boots before we go hiking again in a few months.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
I had PF in both feet plus a badly inflamed knee from dancing. My doc told me to take all the weight off the joints for 6 months - wheelchair or crutches. Absolutely no dancing allowed.

Instead, I took MSM - which is an OTC anti-inflammatory that you can buy at any drugstore.

Within 3 days the pain was gone and I was able to tap dance again about a week later. Now, whenever I get twinges of heel pain, I take the MSM and it goes away immediately. That stuff is a miracle drug to me.

Nui
While I can't speak to PF, I did find MSM helped me when used on my pitching arm to recover from a game when I was playing ball several years ago.

For those that are active PF can be quite debilitating. I have a few friends that suffered from PF in the past and the custom orthodics and the elastic bands for stretching seemed to be very effective at eliminating PF pain for them.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

Ice Pack Worked for me

A few years ago I developed PF after hiking up a long hill. Tried rest, etc. Neighbor suggested an ice pack to bring down the inflammation. After two weeks the pain was gone. Now I have it in the other foot near the toes. Need to find the ice pack. Bye the way, my son who has a degree in Kinesiology suggests wearing clean shoes to bed to keep the ligaments from tightening up. All the previous suggestions are wonderful. There are many roads to our holiday destination and all are worthy to try before we go to more invasive proceedures Eg cortisone shots.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I tend to have problems with PF when I walk a lot. My doctor suggested putting a cold can of pop under the arch of my foot and roll it forward and back (while sitting down). Sounds weird, but always gets me up and walking pain free the next day.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoferp View Post
I tend to have problems with PF when I walk a lot. My doctor suggested putting a cold can of pop under the arch of my foot and roll it forward and back (while sitting down). Sounds weird, but always gets me up and walking pain free the next day.
My Doc suggested a frozen bottle of water works even better than an ice pack, rolling it with your foot as you suggest.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #35

How is your PF holding up?
I have been nursing PF on my left foot for all of 2012 so far. Rereading these posts helped me see some of the things I am doing wrong.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
How is your PF holding up?
I have been nursing PF on my left foot for all of 2012 so far. Rereading these posts helped me see some of the things I am doing wrong.
Thanks for asking.

It continues to be hard work. While on the naproxen, along with the exercises and overnight splint it improved a lot, but each time I came off the tablets it reversed itself.

However, I went to see the doc on April 5th and for the first time I could press on the center of the heel and tell him that this was the only place it hurt. He then gave me a cortisone shot right under that spot and within a couple of weeks the pain had gone away, just in time for our 3 month holiday, which includes plenty of hiking. I started taking naproxen again, 420mg in the morning and at night. While I don't have any stomach issues I'll continue with the tablets as my heel is feeling wonderful, despite lots of hiking in Utah, Oregon and Washington (although no more than 7 or 8 miles at a time).

We have just arrived on San Juan island where we will be for a month, so the exercise will be mostly walking, bike riding and kayaking, so I am hoping that the PF will soon clear up completely. I went and got measured for hiking boots at REI and they have been brilliant. If only I can figure out how to play tennis in them....
Old 05-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #37

Thanks for the input. Life without parole with this thing!
Old 05-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi Alan. I'm also recovering from PF (since last July). I thought it was from running, but am wondering now since I walk barefoot on hardwood floors (that will stop today!). I stopped running and have been cycling and taking spin classes instead and the pain is mostly gone. About ready to try running again to see how it feels.
I hope you enjoy San Juan Island. I spend my weekends on Whidbey Island and get up to the San Juans (Lopez, San Juan, Orcas) during the summer for kayaking and cycling. Make sure to check out some of the other islands including Shaw (much smaller). Lopez is great for cycling. We will get some rain over the next few days, but sun is expected again later in the week. ENJOY!!!!
Old 05-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #39

Thanks Dog. Yes, we are planning to visit some of the other islands while here, and get in some cycling and kayaking.

While at home my Doc recommended wearing Crocs rather than going barefoot, which I do. Biking has no effect fortunately but tennis is a killer so I've had to give that up for the duration of this.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #40
gone traveling

FWIW to people in this thread, I have a bit of personal advice regarding PF from both a personal anecdote, and some compelling science.

Yes, some of the best things to do for PF are to ice the hell out of it and take anti-inflammatory meds. Contrary to what most pediatrists will tell you, I would highly recommend against orthotics. The more and more cushion you put under your foot, the weaker it gets. People will essentially get "bound" to being in their shoes 24/7 and won't be able to walk around without them.

PF is essentially a problem with some weak muscles in the foot, and some tight ones. Some self myofascial release is a GREAT way to help out PF, along with doing some "foot pickups" (basically, you sit in a chair or stand and use your foot to pick up objects like golf balls by flexing and arching your foot). The problem with orthotics is that you're treating the symptom rather than treating the actual problem.

Self Treatment For Plantar Fasciitis - The Art of Fitness | The Art of Fitness - Austin Deep Tissue Massage Therapy is a great intro to self myofascial release. Frankly, I think everyone should have a foam roller and a couple of lacrosse balls in the house to "self massage" themselves. It has worked wonders for many people I know and myself included.