Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #41
gone traveling
Also, I've had a lot of muscular-skeletal type issues in the past, and if it has taught me one thing, it is this: If you're having pain somewhere, more often than not it is being caused my a number of neighboring muscles acting in a way to totally mess up the area that you feel.

For example: Lower back pain. Barring any actual disc issues, generic lower back pain is almost ALWAYS an indicator of someone having extremely tight hips and weak lower abdominals. People sit in chairs way too much, and it causes their butts to become stretched out and weak, and their hips to be extremely tight. This puts a lot of pressure on the lower back to compensate. The solution? Taking a lacrosse ball and grinding the hell out of your hips, doing hip stretches, doing glute activation drills, and doing some abdominal work. Notice: None of that directly is the "lower back", but it all helps. (Specifically, this has helped me and a friend... so I'm not totally talking out of my butt, so to speak).

Also of note, I'm a strength trainer on the side... so I know my fair share of anatomy.

bo_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #42
Thanks for the link Bo

I've already been exercising very similar to the website suggestions. The podiatrist I went to from the start was recommended by a personal trainer friend of mine, and the Doc is big on exercises. I only do the icing before bedtime, on days when I have been hiking and it hurts, which are becoming much less frequent.

I also find the massaging helps, which is something the Doc didn't mention, but I got that good advice from a physical therapist friend. (Thanks SG )

Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
I developed this as an injury while running in college (80+ miles a week took its toll). Luckily in all the year since it's never come back.

I know I'm late and didn't read ever post in the thread, but maybe this can help (most of these were passed on from the athletic PT we had access to)

- I started stretching my calves every time I walked stairs (or at least once a day). Stand like you're walking up the stairs with only the toe/ball of foot on the step and let the rest hang over.

- I would roll my foot on a baseball bat every morning when I got out of bed

- Massage makes a world of difference, even if you're doing it yourself.

- get in the habit of walking exercises once a day where you walk about 100 feet pointing your toes into the sky (walking on your heels), then on the way back walk up on your toes as high as you can.

All of those will stretch and strengthen your calves and tendons that wrap down to the bottom of your foot (where the Plantar Fasciitis is happening).

I still do the first two out of habit and have never had the problem since.

I can still remember how painful that injury was. As a runner, we teach ourselves to run through pain, but that was agonizing. Hope you've gotten it worked out by now. Good luck!
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by bo_knows View Post
FWIW to people in this thread, I have a bit of personal advice regarding PF from both a personal anecdote, and some compelling science.

Yes, some of the best things to do for PF are to ice the hell out of it and take anti-inflammatory meds. Contrary to what most pediatrists will tell you, I would highly recommend against orthotics. The more and more cushion you put under your foot, the weaker it gets. People will essentially get "bound" to being in their shoes 24/7 and won't be able to walk around without them.
I don't know any podiatrists that prescribe orthotics for PF. My two kids and I all have orthotics, we got them due to biomechanical issues with the structure of the foot. PF CAN emerge due to biomechanical issues in the foot, including weak support muscles........

Footsmart is a great online site to help with foot issues, nice people and reasonable pricing:

Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote