Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Playing golf proven to add 5 years to life expectancy
Old 10-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Playing golf proven to add 5 years to life expectancy

I don't argue about facts:

Playing golf can add five years to your life
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Even golfers using a motorized cart were found to walk as much as four miles over a full round.
Don't doubt the health benefits of golfing but it's hard to imagine someone using a golf cart and still walking an average of almost 400 yards on each hole.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:58 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

yeah that's funny

maybe if it were carts on path
Old 10-06-2016, 04:18 PM   #4

Since I stopped working in July of 2009 I have logged 4673 miles on the golf course walking and carrying my bag. That's 778 rounds more or less. I've probably played closer to 1100 rounds the last 7 years as I take a cart when it gets over 100 degrees here!

If you walk the southern route of the US it is 2671 miles. That means i'm only 670 miles from crossing the US....twice! 110 more rounds and will hit the ocean again! That should be sometime in March.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Don't doubt the health benefits of golfing but it's hard to imagine someone using a golf cart and still walking an average of almost 400 yards on each hole.
My fitbit logs about 11-13k steps per round of golf using a cart. That's 5-6 miles... granted, I may spend more time looking for balls than some, but a round of golf involves a lot of walking even using a cart.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:03 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I ride and I can't imagine walking more than a 1/2 to 1 mile tops. I do get in at least 9 holes worth of walking as I walk my dog on the course early mornings and night. So I get in my fair share of walking daily.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:05 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I played today and if I had had a razor blade at my disposal, I might have pulled that 5 added years stat downward...
Tallman4123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallman4123 View Post
I played today and if I had had a razor blade at my disposal, I might have pulled that 5 added years stat downward...
I had a pretty decent game last weekend, shot an 87... if you don't count the 16 mulligans off the tees (couldn't get my driver to work at all!!).
Old 10-06-2016, 08:07 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It depends. If I use a cart and am playing alone, I'll tend to keep the cart on the path as much as possible. When the ball is within 70-80 yards of the hole, I'll drive the cart to the path by the hole and briskly walk/jog back to the ball and continue to work towards the hole.One can get a lot of walking in like that. Of course, I judge if there are folks behind me, but playing alone you are almost always going at a fast faster than a group behind.

When playing my group of friends there is a lot of "drop me off and I'll catch with you" based on where the ball lands, so walking of walking/jogging can still occur.

Certainly there are folks who drive right next to the ball, hit, drive next to the ball, hit... but if one wants to it seem there ways to get walking in even with a cart. And of course, the worse you play, the more walking you can get in, maybe that is my secret .
Old 10-07-2016, 07:28 AM   #10
gone traveling

How many times a week do you need to play to get 5 more years?
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:44 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

not sure but I'm guessing once a week minimum

The Key Health Benefits of Golf
Old 10-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
My fitbit logs about 11-13k steps per round of golf using a cart. That's 5-6 miles... granted, I may spend more time looking for balls than some, but a round of golf involves a lot of walking even using a cart.
Might want to check out that fitbit, they are known to count steps in moving vehicles. There are a few threads on the fitbit forum about inaccurate readings when riding in a golf cart.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Might want to check out that fitbit, they are known to count steps in moving vehicles. There are a few threads on the fitbit forum about inaccurate readings when riding in a golf cart.
Oh, it's high by about 10-15%. I recorded the steps each time I got in and out of the cart on two different course and found there were extras, but most of the steps were from actually moving.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:06 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
According to the data, golfers typically burnt a minimum of 500 calories over 18 holes and those walking the course could trek up to eight miles.

Even golfers using a motorized cart were found to walk as much as four miles over a full round.
Both of these sound a bit on the high side... I would think 6-7 miles walking and 2-3 miles if using a cart. But still substantial.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote