Playing golf proven to add 5 years to life expectancy

Even golfers using a motorized cart were found to walk as much as four miles over a full round.
Don't doubt the health benefits of golfing but it's hard to imagine someone using a golf cart and still walking an average of almost 400 yards on each hole.

Last edited:
yeah that's funny

maybe if it were carts on path

Since I stopped working in July of 2009 I have logged 4673 miles on the golf course walking and carrying my bag. That's 778 rounds more or less. I've probably played closer to 1100 rounds the last 7 years as I take a cart when it gets over 100 degrees here!

If you walk the southern route of the US it is 2671 miles. That means i'm only 670 miles from crossing the US....twice! 110 more rounds and will hit the ocean again! That should be sometime in March.:biggrin:

Don't doubt the health benefits of golfing but it's hard to imagine someone using a golf cart and still walking an average of almost 400 yards on each hole.

My fitbit logs about 11-13k steps per round of golf using a cart. That's 5-6 miles... granted, I may spend more time looking for balls than some, but a round of golf involves a lot of walking even using a cart.

I ride and I can't imagine walking more than a 1/2 to 1 mile tops. I do get in at least 9 holes worth of walking as I walk my dog on the course early mornings and night. So I get in my fair share of walking daily.

I played today and if I had had a razor blade at my disposal, I might have pulled that 5 added years stat downward...

I played today and if I had had a razor blade at my disposal, I might have pulled that 5 added years stat downward...

I had a pretty decent game last weekend, shot an 87... if you don't count the 16 mulligans off the tees (couldn't get my driver to work at all!!). :(

It depends. If I use a cart and am playing alone, I'll tend to keep the cart on the path as much as possible. When the ball is within 70-80 yards of the hole, I'll drive the cart to the path by the hole and briskly walk/jog back to the ball and continue to work towards the hole.One can get a lot of walking in like that. Of course, I judge if there are folks behind me, but playing alone you are almost always going at a fast faster than a group behind.

When playing my group of friends there is a lot of "drop me off and I'll catch with you" based on where the ball lands, so walking of walking/jogging can still occur.

Certainly there are folks who drive right next to the ball, hit, drive next to the ball, hit... but if one wants to it seem there ways to get walking in even with a cart. And of course, the worse you play, the more walking you can get in, maybe that is my secret :).

How many times a week do you need to play to get 5 more years?

My fitbit logs about 11-13k steps per round of golf using a cart. That's 5-6 miles... granted, I may spend more time looking for balls than some, but a round of golf involves a lot of walking even using a cart.

Might want to check out that fitbit, they are known to count steps in moving vehicles. There are a few threads on the fitbit forum about inaccurate readings when riding in a golf cart.

Might want to check out that fitbit, they are known to count steps in moving vehicles. There are a few threads on the fitbit forum about inaccurate readings when riding in a golf cart.

Oh, it's high by about 10-15%. I recorded the steps each time I got in and out of the cart on two different course and found there were extras, but most of the steps were from actually moving.

According to the data, golfers typically burnt a minimum of 500 calories over 18 holes and those walking the course could trek up to eight miles.

Even golfers using a motorized cart were found to walk as much as four miles over a full round.

Both of these sound a bit on the high side... I would think 6-7 miles walking and 2-3 miles if using a cart. But still substantial.

Back
Top Bottom