Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
And the fact that humans keep living longer throughout the millennia indicates to me that there is likely at least some small benefit to longevity that helps our descendants reproduce.

Audrey

I'll agree with Audrey about the exercise - as I sit here and type on a rainy day

Longevity - there have been studies done about the 'grandmother effect' - in poor tribal societies, having the mother's mother still alive has a BIG effect on children's chances of survival.

ta,
mew
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Lots of books and diets tell us that we are "meant" to eat this or that thing, our bodies have adapted for that over millions of years, yada, yada. Yes--but our ancestors ate those things and lived to be 35 years old, maybe 50. If we want to live longer (which is not "natural") then we should probably not be surprised if we need to do "unnatural" things to attain that longevity.
As I mentioned on another thread, this is exactly what I thought and said a few years ago. Now I figure it's more like this: Putting the right kind of gas and oil in my car is important, even if the car has lasted much longer than expected.

BTW, that other post lead me to an interesting thought. I've had a number of accidents, injuries, and diseases in my life which, had I lived in prehistoric/premedicine times, would have killed me at a young age.

But let's say I lived back then (transported back in time 10,000 years as an infant), and didn't have any of those. And let's say that I wasn't killed by a saber-toothed tiger or marauding tribe. I wouldn't be that different, genetically, from my caveman buddies.

Would I have lived to the age of 56? What would I look like?
Old 10-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

I don't know any of the other answers but, with those shades, you would be the coolest cat in the clan.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But let's say I lived back then (transported back in time 10,000 years as an infant), and didn't have any of those. And let's say that I wasn't killed by a saber-toothed tiger or marauding tribe. I wouldn't be that different, genetically, from my caveman buddies.

Good point.

A Long Melancholy Roar

Quote:
Although predators are not an important problem for most of us today, they surely were for our ancestors. Indeed, millions of years ago, fear of predators would have been one of the forces that caused our ancestors to evolve to live in groups. The seeds of our social lives were watered with blood and nurtured by the roar of the lion and the claw of the leopard.
Quote:
More recently, however, it’s been the case that the mammal most likely to kill a human is: a human. Murder and war have long been more important causes of death for us than predatory wild animals.
and quite disturbing:

Quote:
But here’s the thing. Today, in many parts of the world, the human being most likely to cause your violent death is: you.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:34 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
George Clooney.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
As I mentioned on another thread, this is exactly what I thought and said a few years ago. Now I figure it's more like this: Putting the right kind of gas and oil in my car is important, even if the car has lasted much longer than expected.

BTW, that other post lead me to an interesting thought. I've had a number of accidents, injuries, and diseases in my life which, had I lived in prehistoric/premedicine times, would have killed me at a young age.

From what I have read you likely would have lived to 56 if you made it through the illnesses and injuries. Just the odds of making it through those illnesses and injuries was slim.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You are saying it is clear we should eat differently from our ancestors? And if so, in what way - which ways have been proven to be better?
No, I'm only saying that there's no indication that studying what our ancestors ate should be expected to provide any information about what we, as individuals, should eat if we want to live a long time.

Our ancestors died young, and 99% of them died of injuries, starvation, infections, and communicable diseases. Heart disease, cancer, arthritis were generally not concerns, and there's not much reason to believe their diet, or their genetic adaptation to that diet (which would take thousands of years) will offer us much of a guide to preventing these diseases in ourt individual cases.

We're using these bodies well beyond the age they've ever been asked to last before. I think that reducing saturated fat in our diets probably makes sense. I don't think I could eat like an inuit and expect to live a long time.

Milk: I have no strong opinions--I usually use the 1% stuff.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
No, I'm only saying that there's no indication that studying what our ancestors ate should be expected to provide any information about what we, as individuals, should eat if we want to live a long time.
I think there is an indication. Studies of which societies have better health statistics indicate that those who eat in more traditional ways versus modern high-carb-load and processed fast-foods - e.g. the Mediterranean diet, seem to be doing better in modern times. There also appear to be more than one traditional diet that is "healthy" which is not surprising. Also, these same societies get more exercise as did our ancestors and so its somewhat hard to figure which is more important, not that it matters.

So, until I see overwhelming evidence otherwise, I am going with the more "traditional" approaches.

And by the way - I'm not looking to maximize longevity, if I were, I'd be doing the restricted calorie thing. I'm going for quality of life with hopefully some decent longevity.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:46 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I had baked asparagus with grated Parmesan cheese for lunch. Nummy.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I had aparagus.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

You two are making me hungry!! And I do have asparagus, and parmesan, so I could have baked asparagus with grated parmesan for dinner. Sounds divine.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Asparagus tossed with olive oil, garlic, salt and fresh cracked pepper - grilled or roasted in oven on a cookie tray - easy and awesome!!!

Audrey
Old 10-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Even canned Asparagus can be delicious -- year round enjoyment. As I mentioned before:

As a side, I put a can of asparagus in a small pie pan, dotted it with a 1/2 stick of butter and a couple tablespoons of parmesan cheese. Put it under a broiler for five minutes.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

With so many of us eating asparagus, you'd think we were a bunch of millionaires instead of a bunch of LBYM'ers.... Oh, that's right! A lot of us fit into either or both of those categories.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #35
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Asparagus tossed with olive oil, garlic, salt and fresh cracked pepper - grilled or roasted in oven on a cookie tray - easy and awesome!!!

Audrey
Sauteed in a bit of ghee.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Audrey
That is what I do, plus grate a bit of Parmesan on top when it is done.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Real ice cream(chocolate) covered with Hersey's syrup.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:11 AM   #38
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

Audrey

How long and at what temperature do you cook it ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I do ours around 400 on the grill. Doesn't take long depending on the thickness. Maybe 2 to 3 minutes a side turning once.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:58 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Like notmuchlonger - that's usually the grill surface temp. Usually takes less than 10 minutes, and I turn once.

Oven - preheated to 350 or 400. Check after 10 minutes. When it is done depends on the size of the asparagus.

Audrey