Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I love me some asparagaraagus! Just got a weird hankering for it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How does one decide how much stalk to cut off?

Old 10-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
How does one decide how much stalk to cut off?
This is the method I use:

Cookbook:Asparagus - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks

Quote:
Almost the whole shoot is edible, but the prized portion is the tender growing end. The base of the shoot can be woody and fibrous, and it is generally discarded about a third of the way up. The traditional way to prepare asparagus for cooking is to take hold of a few shoots at a time, holding an end in each hand, and firmly but gently 'snap' it. The shoots will snap at their natural break point, which should be where the woody end meets the more tender portion. Another way to prepare asparagus for cooking is to peel the bottom end with a knife or a vegetable peeler, working from the middle towards the end. This will remove the toughest fibers from the outside although some will remain and will need to be cut an inch or so from the base of the stems.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:30 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

I barely cut any of the white part off, just enough to remove the dried cut ends.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Going on sale tomorrow at the local place. 1.97 a lb. Not bad for Californie prices. Ill be sure to give you the low down tomorrow
Old 10-20-2009, 05:34 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

So HaHa, what kind of milk do you drink?

I've gone to great pains to get used to nonfat milk, and like it fine. But after reading Good Calories Bad Calories and studies like this, I'm thinking about full fat milk.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
So HaHa, what kind of milk do you drink?

I've gone to great pains to get used to nonfat milk, and like it fine. But after reading Good Calories Bad Calories and studies like this, I'm thinking about full fat milk.
Al, I usually don't drink milk. My dairy is full fat yogurt ( usually Trader Joe's French Market brand), whipping cream, sour cream (from a Russian deli if I am in the neighborhood, otherwise the Greek stuff from Wholefoods, grass fed butter and many different cheeses. When I was young and had kids at home we drank unpasteurized milk right off the farm, and goats' milk.

Personally, I am not really sure about the fat thing. I have other issues so overall I think it is best for me to eat what I most enjoy, which is full fat. At worst it seems that it might have a small negative effect, if any at all.
But if I were you I would do a lot of research before going back on whole milk, since you like non-fat milk. I hated it and really liked whole dairy. Once youk go back to high quality full fat dairy you might find it hard to go through weaning yourself off it once again.

Good luck with whatever you try.

Ha