Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Which of the following options best describes your alcoholic beverage drinking habits?
>7 drinks/ week and usually > 2 drinks per occasion 65 26.42%
>7 drinks/ week and usually 2 or fewer drinks per occasion 35 14.23%
7 or fewer drinks/ week and usually > 2 drinks per occasion 16 6.50%
7 or fewer drinks / week and usually 2 or fewer drinks per occasion 87 35.37%
I don't drink alcohol 43 17.48%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

re: Poll:Alcohol
Old 01-27-2007, 03:58 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

re: Poll:Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Work 4 Beer
And, I've been to Denny's in Japan. It's weird.
I'll second that. I ate in a Denny's in Tokyo. It's much more upscale than in the USA, kind of a classy place that you might do a low end business deal. Filled with people in business attire. I remember it having a modern minimalist decor with lots of frosted glass and expensive surfaces. Like most restaurants in Tokyo, the menu was very heavy on steaks. I had a thin but filling steak and I remember being adventurous and ordering some drink with Lychee. I think my meal was about $25.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just found this old thread to revive. I just voted too: "7 or less a week".

I drink wine, beer, and also hard liquor. However, I do not have a habit of having a drink every day, or at every dinner. I can go 1 or 2 weeks without drinking, if there is no special occasion for it. However, on rare occasions, I can drink a lot.

One time, we were entertaining two other couples for dinner. As my wife did not drink at all, there were 5 drinkers including myself. From 6PM to near midnight, we emptied 6 bottles of wine, then switched to Cognac (French brandy) and cleaned off 1 and 1/2 bottles. I didn't know how the other people fared, but I was fine the next morning.

I am sure the other couples still remember fondly of that dinner. We might have to do that again some time.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm...I can't believe I missed this thread way back then.

Heh...maybe I was tipsy...
Old 12-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Hmmm...I can't believe I missed this thread way back then.

Heh...maybe I was tipsy...
Same here as far as missing the thread.
I usually stick to lite beer and keep a wine box of Sangria in the frig. Summer favorite is Mike's Hard Lemonade in black cherry, lime, and cranberry flavors.
I don't drink hard liquor unless it's a holiday or I'm in the mood for a vodka & cranberry.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I don't drink hard liquor unless it's a holiday or I'm in the mood for a vodka & cranberry.
Hmmm, I pretty much only drink hard liquor these days. I guess I just want to 'git 'er done'!
Old 12-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #46

I usually have a couple of drinks a week, almost always on the week-end. So far this week I have had exactly one Tanqueray and diet tonic water, consumed last night when I got in from a day of running all over creation on a holiday house tour with a friend of mine.
I will occasionally drink a draft beer when out with friends. I like India Pale Ales and also dark fairly bitter beers. Favorite red wine is a Pinot Noir and favorite white probably sauvignon blanc. I like an occasional spicy Bloody Mary or a Bellini cocktail, also a martini or cosmopolitan (all consumed in restaurants as I would not bother to mix something like this at home). Stuff like a chocolate martini or alcoholic coffee drinks do not appeal to me at all. I love very dry champagne but have not indulged in years as what comes in the little single serve bottles also does not appeal to me.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I missed the thread too. But I was still working and January was my busiest month of the year. Glad those days are over.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I missed the thread too. But I was still working and January was my busiest month of the year. Glad those days are over.
Yeah...I joined in Dec 06, was not w*rking...but still missed it. I guess I was shy back in the day.

Yes Dawg...it feels good to be retired...
Old 12-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

In searching old threads on smoking and drinking, I also found this old thread of yours: Want to stop smoking

Still not smoking, are you, my dear?
Old 12-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Yeah...I joined in Dec 06, was not w*rking...but still missed it. I guess I was shy back in the day.

Yes Dawg...it feels good to be retired...
I think drinking adds pleasure to life. In my case, mostly wine at dinner or an oyster bar/sushi bar. On Friday nights if we haven't gone TGIF at a Happy Hour, my GF likes to have a bourbon at home. Creates the right funtime atmosphere.

I had a short time in college where I got blotto from time to time, but I cut that out fast. I do not like to be mentally or physically dulled.

Ha
Old 12-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

I usually only have a couple drinks per week these days. Have to make up for all the excess consumption from my younger days. I like bourbon in the winter, beer in the summer and margaritas in Mexico.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
In searching old threads on smoking and drinking, I also found this old thread of yours: Want to stop smoking

Still not smoking, are you, my dear?
Diggin' up sins, are ya?

Well, to be honest, I've faltered a time or two, but I'm basically 'clean'. These days smoking/not smoking is the last thing on my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think drinking adds pleasure to life. In my case, mostly wine at dinner or an oyster bar/sushi bar. On Friday nights if we haven't gone TGIF at a Happy Hour, my GF likes to have a bourbon at home. Creates the right funtime atmosphere.

I had a short time in college where I got blotto from time to time, but I cut that out fast. I do not like to be mentally or physically dulled.

Ha
Creates the right funtime atmosphere....I love the sound of that scenario.

No more blotto days for bbbamI. Just a soft, warm feeling seems to do the trick.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I enjoy a glass or two of wine most evenings . I haven't had hard liquor except for margarita once a year . I occasionally drink beer especially when cooking ribs since you need half a bottle for marinating in the interest of LBYM I can't just toss the other half down the drain .
Old 12-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Normally one drink/night - but a stout one - tip and count to 4 with the plastic hard liquor restrictors. January the last maybe 10 years I take off. No drinking at all, no excuses, no errors.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm not a teetotaler but I'm probably closer to the "7 drinks per year" category...
me too. As far as ethanol goes I'm a real lightweight. About all I ever have is wine with a festive dinner or when eating at a restaurant, and only a small glass (or half a large one at most). My intake of distilled spirits is limited to whatever gets poured over the fruitcake.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #56
gone traveling

Quit drinking 20+ years ago, I found it was easier to quit than self-moderate.

Besides, I get enough infractions posting while sober...
Old 12-13-2010, 12:14 AM   #57

In the 'spirit' of the thread and also the holiday, I submit the following for your, er, enjoyment.

Back to the poll. Don't drink, but if you average the consumption in my 30s, on a life-time average, guess I'd be considered a moderate drinker

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:21 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm not a teetotaler but I'm probably closer to the "7 drinks per year" category...
That would be the amount I drink, too.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:25 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
If you haven't already, try a manzanilla sherry. Very nice, and usually bone dry.
Being a non-drinker, I canīt comment on that. But here in Spain we pride orselves in those spirits
Old 12-13-2010, 06:33 AM   #60

Put me in the don't drink now, but above average for my short lifetime.

grasshopper