Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Which of the following options best describes your alcoholic beverage drinking habits?
>7 drinks/ week and usually > 2 drinks per occasion 65 26.42%
>7 drinks/ week and usually 2 or fewer drinks per occasion 35 14.23%
7 or fewer drinks/ week and usually > 2 drinks per occasion 16 6.50%
7 or fewer drinks / week and usually 2 or fewer drinks per occasion 87 35.37%
I don't drink alcohol 43 17.48%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2010, 08:38 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
And those Freakonomics guys ask this important question:

Do We Drink Because We’re Monogamous, or Are We Monogamous Because We Drink?

From the cited (by them) article:

A single glass?
I was hardly monogamous in college, and my alcohol consumption was off the charts..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Darn! I totally missed out on both. Never smoked pot in my life either.

Why don't I just find a monastery and ask if the monks would take me in?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #103

Let's see ...
Trappist beers, Christian Brothers brandy, Carthusian chartreuse liqueur, ...

No, maybe that won't work either.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.

My drinking is still on the heavy side; but, it looks like I am in some pretty good company here. I usually have two or three drinks per day, more in social situations.

My favorite drinks by volume definitely are not alcoholic. In no particular order: Coffee (around 48 oz. per day), skim milk (almost 3 gallons per week), tea (both iced and hot, 2-3 quarts per day in total) and water.

I do love my afternoon and evening drinks as well. My favorite depends on mood, food and activity. Again, in no particular order, they include red wine, beer (most ales, some lagers), and whiskey/whisky.

Yes, when I am awake, I generally have a glass of something within reach.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Let's see ...
Trappist beers, Christian Brothers brandy, Carthusian chartreuse liqueur, ...

No, maybe that won't work either.
And Dom Pérignon champagne? Oh la la. A monk may have much to drink do.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

I just actually looked at the poll, and the scale seems way off to me.

1-2 drinks per day for men is often what is associated with good health (for those w/o problems with alcohol), and the low end of that is already at the top of the scale.

So 14/week would be considered 'normal and healthy' for many, and that's off the charts here. For waistline purposes, I usually limit myself to 1/day, and 2 on weekends, and social occasions when I'm not driving could be more.

Never 'cheap' stuff. If it isn't good quality, I'll drink water, coffee, tea.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
1-2 drinks per day for men is often what is associated with good health (for those w/o problems with alcohol),...

Never 'cheap' stuff. If it isn't good quality, I'll drink water, coffee, tea.
I, certainly, associate it with good health (recognizing that restriction)... and more than often.

Yeah, not many things worse than rotgut.
RonBoyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #108

Ah, but there are definite drawbacks to being a connoisseur, or just someone who appreciated better quality.

I'll never forget an evening about 15 years ago, when DW and I were visiting St. Louis with a group of friends. Someone made reservations at a very posh 5-star restaurant, and we gathered at the table in high expectation.

When the waiter took our drink orders, I wanted a beer (as always), so I asked what they had. The waiter reeled off the standard list of "Budweiser, Bud Light, Bud Ice, Bud Dry, etc., etc." and never got to anything I would consider a "good" beer. I commented on that to him, and he pulled himself up to his full height, looked down his nose at me, and said:

"Sir, this is St. Louis. We carry every beer made by Anheuser Busch."

I said "Thank you. Please bring me a glass of water."

I honestly believe he was shocked out of his complacency at a response he had never heard before.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ah, but there are definite drawbacks to being a connoisseur, or just someone who appreciated better quality.

I'll never forget an evening about 15 years ago, when DW and I were visiting St. Louis with a group of friends. Someone made reservations at a very posh 5-star restaurant, and we gathered at the table in high expectation.

When the waiter took our drink orders, I wanted a beer (as always), so I asked what they had...
Yep, it's still shockingly difficult to get a good beer in even very good restaurants. And then they are likely to serve it way too cold. It's frustrating for us beer lovers - often beer is a much better accompaniment than wine for so many meals.

I'm sure you are familiar with the cicerone program (beer equivalent of a wine sommelier):

Cicerone.org - Home

We were at local French Bistro lately, and I was thrilled to hear that they had "Two Brothers" on tap (a local micro-brewery - some great brews). When I asked which of their selections they had, he said he would find out, came back later to tell me "it is a dark beer". I just didn't feel like going through 20 questions to find out what kind of 'dark beer', so I just went for a bottle of Fischer Alsace, since it was a known quantity to me.

Fortunately, we also have a pub-style place with a great menu, and a fantastic array of beers on tap and bottled, and most importantly, a knowledgeable staff. It's enough of a drive to make it difficult to sample much more than a couple though.

-ERD50
Old 12-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #110
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

When the waiter took our drink orders, I wanted a beer (as always), so I asked what they had. The waiter reeled off the standard list of "Budweiser, Bud Light, Bud Ice, Bud Dry, etc., etc." and never got to anything I would consider a "good" beer. I commented on that to him, and he pulled himself up to his full height, looked down his nose at me, and said:

"Sir, this is St. Louis. We carry every beer made by Anheuser Busch."

I said "Thank you. Please bring me a glass of water."

I honestly believe he was shocked out of his complacency at a response he had never heard before.
+1

except I`d have taken a dry red a a substitute.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #111
Administrator

Just came back from visiting family in St. Louis. Except for the excellent product of my home-brewing BIL, I never expect to drink anything but an Anheuser Busch product when I'm in that region of the country. That's just the way it is there.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Any beer lover here has a Yard House restaurant near you? They have a good selection of Belgian beer, and the food is not bad either.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #113
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Just came back from visiting family in St. Louis. Except for the excellent product of my home-brewing BIL, I never expect to drink anything but an Anheuser Busch product when I'm in that region of the country. That's just the way it is there.
When no beer is available, drink what is available.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #114
Administrator

Quote:
To further elaborate, drinking a non-AB beer in St. Louis would be like driving a Subaru to work at the Rouge River plant in Dearborn -- something that is just not done.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:41 AM   #115

Quote:
To further elaborate, drinking a non-AB beer in St. Louis would be like driving a Subaru to work at the Rouge River plant in Dearborn -- something that is just not done.
Next time you're there, I recommend you try the second largest brewery in St. Louis.

Schlafly has a very nice brewpub a couple of blocks north of Union Station, and a bottling facility out on the west side. You can actually find their beers in many places (they even distribute as far east as Ohio).
Old 12-30-2010, 08:22 AM   #116

St. Louis, MO

braumeister and Gumby,

We do have some establishments serving a verity of beers in St. Louis; you just have to know where to find them: Growler's (Sunset Hills location is my favorite) and Cicero's (University City Loop) are two of my favorites with large beer selections (both on tap and in bottles) and knowledgeable staff.

I am a big fan of the Schlafly brewery. They have many good brews including the best barleywine (not usually my favorite style) I've ever tasted.

Now, I will admit that Anheuser-Busch's original Michelob is one of my favorite beers for enjoying outside on those hot, humid summer days (and nights) in Missouri when an ale is just too heavy.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #117

Sorry to pose this question here but since there are a number of connoisseurs participating in this thread, can I just ask a question on hangover. I rarely have hangover unless I mix my drinks (which I don't do having learnt the lesson in early years). However, I notice that there a few kinds of wine (whether red or white) which gives me a hangover. I went for drinks two days ago in a very chic bar and restaurant. It was a spanish red wine (not cheap) and was a very generous serving in a large wine glass. I had 2 glasses and I think on a normal serving, it would be 3 glasses. I had the worst hangover yesterday and still a bit today. I don't think it is the quantity as I can consume more than half a bottle with no problems. What should I watch out for to avoid a hangover in choosing wine? Does the price help?
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:28 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Sorry to pose this question here but since there are a number of connoisseurs participating in this thread, can I just ask a question on hangover. I rarely have hangover unless I mix my drinks (which I don't do having learnt the lesson in early years). However, I notice that there a few kinds of wine (whether red or white) which gives me a hangover. I went for drinks two days ago in a very chic bar and restaurant. It was a spanish red wine (not cheap) and was a very generous serving in a large wine glass. I had 2 glasses and I think on a normal serving, it would be 3 glasses. I had the worst hangover yesterday and still a bit today. I don't think it is the quantity as I can consume more than half a bottle with no problems. What should I watch out for to avoid a hangover in choosing wine? Does the price help?
Avoid wine; do like the Russians and stick with vodka.

Ha
Old 12-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Avoid wine; do like the Russians and stick with vodka.

Ha
I don't drink often but I drink almost exclusively vodka.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
What should I watch out for to avoid a hangover in choosing wine? Does the price help?
I believe there are certain components to some drinks that can lead to hangovers. You can try googleing for specifics.

But whenever I find I'm drinking more than a couple, I start adding drinks of water to the mix. Lots of water. And if you've got to the point of being a bit tipsy, drink lots, and lots, and lots and lots of water before going to bed. Dehydration seems to be the worst aspect of a hangover, and this can help.

-ERD50