Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Which of the following options best describes your alcoholic beverage drinking habits?
>7 drinks/ week and usually > 2 drinks per occasion 65 26.42%
>7 drinks/ week and usually 2 or fewer drinks per occasion 35 14.23%
7 or fewer drinks/ week and usually > 2 drinks per occasion 16 6.50%
7 or fewer drinks / week and usually 2 or fewer drinks per occasion 87 35.37%
I don't drink alcohol 43 17.48%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #61

I really enjoy my beer. Really.

Of course, I never drink the stuff you find in the supermarket, which is merely an "ethanol delivery vehicle" in the words of the owner of a large brewery I once talked to. Cheaply made (although with outstanding QC), heavily advertised, and bland beyond words.

The beer I make myself, OTOH, is absolutely fresh, made with the highest quality ingredients, and full of flavor, despite being relatively low in alcohol. The beer I buy is either from microbreweries and brewpubs in this country, or else a very high quality import from Belgium, Germany, or the UK.

Typically, I'll have one before dinner, that will last through most of the meal, and usually another afterward. Occasionally, a third later in the evening.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:44 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I really enjoy my beer. Really..
Me too, I don't drink as much anymore though, most nights I don't have alcohol at all to drink, but when I do have a beer, it is a little bit of heaven...Usually when we eat out, I just drink water because the beer selection leaves something to be desired. We did find a new place nearby called World of Beer, no food, just Beer, one of the largest selections I've ever seen in a beer joint, and they sell retail as well, at a fair price. Any recommendations for a wannabe home brewer? I tried making beer at home many years ago, but I couldn't wait long enough to drink it.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:51 AM   #63

The best beginner reference I know of is howtobrew.com and I recommend all the information you find there. John is a friend, and I know his advice can be trusted.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #64

Quote:
The best beginner reference I know of is howtobrew.com and I recommend all the information you find there. John is a friend, and I know his advice can be trusted.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #65
Administrator

DW and I have a glass of red wine and a square of dark chocolate every night

I also enjoy glasses of single malt at weekends.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #66
Administrator

Most nights, the young wife and I share a bottle of wine with dinner.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm enjoying a nice crisp Rolling Rock beer right now.

"33"
Old 12-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #68

I intend to get into home brewing when I retire. I have tried a (Mr. Beer.) I hope to do a bit better.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I really enjoy my beer. Really.

Of course, I never drink the stuff you find in the supermarket....

Same here. I started brewing my own in June, got up to a 150-200 bottle stockpile, started giving it to friends and they wanted more, and now I'm almost out. I now have to ration my homebrew until my latest batch makes into my new kegerator.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

At home it's usually wine, often a glass a night. There's a bottle of Caymus Conundrum in the cabinet waiting for a special meal. It's one of my favorites but too expensive to drink often.

I can't resist having a gin and tonic on a plane however...

And when I'm out bar-hopping with friends (not often) it's usually beer. Mixed drinks are often made too strong making it hard to know what you're getting.
FreqFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:16 AM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
I intend to get into home brewing when I retire. I have tried a (Mr. Beer.) I hope to do a bit better.
I got into home brewing about 20 years ago for awhile. Bought a starter kit from a local store, brewed up my first batch with the supplied ingredients and absolutely loved it. Went back to the store and bought the ingredients for different beers and brewed those up and while they were good, they just weren't as good as the first batch. Tried several more with the same results. Went back to the store and asked to buy the stuff that came with the starter kit but was told those only come with the kit. Arrrgh. I quit home brewing shortly thereafter.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:29 AM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Quit drinking 20+ years ago, I found it was easier to quit than self-moderate.

Besides, I get enough infractions posting while sober...
That reminds me, kinda miss Sgeeee's "highly spirited" posts espousing the virtues of 30 glasses of wine per week
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #73
Dryer sheet wannabe

Beer is #1 for me. Homebrew followed by microbrews. I am learning to appreciate wine and hardly ever drink liquor. The liquor in the house is just for guests who prefer that.
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:03 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, this one is a blast from the past. I haven't changed categories in the poll but now wine is still number one, spirits have moved up to number two and beer is in third place. Still love beer but it makes me feel full. Much more into peaty single malts and martinis than I was four years ago.
califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:14 AM   #75

Yep, let's bring it back.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

I think it's great that so many are getting great enjoyment and satisfaction from drinking. Go for it!

That said, I have personally seen lives torn apart, careers and marriages devastated, and health, fortune, and relationships irreparably damaged by alcohol. I have seen alcoholism up close and it isn't pretty.

Besides, it's fattening and expensive. Anyway, each to his/her own but my choice is to not drink.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:09 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That said, I have personally seen lives torn apart, careers and marriages devastated, and health, fortune, and relationships irreparably damaged by alcohol.
As can be said of many things: Religion, Politics, Work, Play, Gambling, travel, non-travel, Marriage & other foolishness, ... in fact, almost every human adventure. Nevertheless, most (almost all)escape unscathed in spite of the risks.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #78

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-- Frank Sinatra
Old 12-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Beer can be fattening. Though I am not drinking everyday now, there was a period when I had a beer after work everyday, and found that I fitted a bit tight in my pants.

I am not sure about wine and liquor.

Quote:
I think it's great that so many are getting great enjoyment and satisfaction from drinking. Go for it!

That said, I have personally seen lives torn apart, careers and marriages devastated, and health, fortune, and relationships irreparably damaged by alcohol. I have seen alcoholism up close and it isn't pretty.

Besides, it's fattening and expensive. Anyway, each to his/her own but my choice is to not drink.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
As can be said of many things: Religion, Politics, Work, Play, Gambling, travel, non-travel, Marriage & other foolishness, ... in fact, almost every human adventure. Nevertheless, most (almost all)escape unscathed in spite of the risks.
A guy I know said buying stocks is gambling. The reason he gave was that any stock price might go down. And this was the same guy who was talking about upgrading from a nice home to an even bigger home right at the peak of the housing bubble. His reason? You can't lose money with houses, he said. He added that everyday there were so many people moving into our state, and they had to live somewhere.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:31 AM   #80
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Same here. Don't touch the stuff; never did, never will. I have seen enough of the above to last three normal lifetimes.