Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Have you smoked within the last 3 months?
I am a man and I have smoked within the last 3 months 17 10.18%
I am a woman and I have smoked within the last 3 months 5 2.99%
I am a man and I have not smoked within the last 3 months 98 58.68%
I am a woman and I have not smoked within the last 3 months 47 28.14%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2010, 07:19 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, I have the occasional cigarette, cigar or "whatever". Yes, it is bad for me. Remember that a 50 year RE means a reduced SWR. What things that you enjoy would you trade for 5 more years in the nursing home?

On the banning issue, I think the owner of a bar/restaurant/etc. should be allowed to make up his/her mind on what clientèle they want to cater to. After all, they do own the place. People who "would spend money there if" must convince them it is an economic benefit.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2010, 07:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Exactly my point! Since you and I are part of the 77% that don't smoke wouldn't you think the owners of the bar would rather intertain the majority. Are smokers the only people who drink? Also, why in the world should the workers have to seek other employment because of smoking?

Bars that have mostly smokers have them because people like us, the 77%, don't go because of the smoking.

In most parts of the country there is no longer smoking in bars, restaurants and most every where else.
+ 1

I really dislike being in places where I am forced to breath cigarette smoke and have walked out of client functions to avoid it. Since they banned smoking in bars etc in HK recently, I now tend to go out more (to the detriment of my waistline).
Old 08-31-2010, 10:46 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Why is it ridiculous to ban smoking in bars. Should the majority of the people be subjected to smoke for the 23% that smoke? Should the people who work in bars be forced to breath burning tobacco? I think it's ridiculous to make that statement.
Because the bar is private property frequented only by adults, the dangers of smoking (and secondhand smoke) are well known, and because tobacco is a legal product? If most people don't smoke (true) and most non-smokers would prefer not to breathe cigarette smoke (probably also true) then clearly there is a market for non-smoking bars, they would enjoy a competitive advantage and would thrive. And if somebody wants to run a bar where smoking is permitted, they should be allowed to. And everyone in the smoking bar (including the workers) should be warned of the hazards. There--everyone gets to be free and exercise their rights like adults.

As a nonsmoker who enjoys smoke-free restaurants and other environments, I've personally benefited from the current government restrictions on smoking. But I don't think they are right.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:57 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
As a nonsmoker who enjoys smoke-free restaurants and other environments, I've personally benefited from the current government restrictions on smoking. But I don't think they are right.
This is a very high class sentiment. I have a hard time disapproving of anything that helps me and a hard time supporting anything that hurts me. Me is defined as my pack.

Ha
Old 08-31-2010, 11:14 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I love smoking cigarettes. I look forward to smoke breaks at work. I look forward to the certain exit on the highway that I always light up at. I look forward to a smoke after I calculate my net worth. Speaking of which...new month.
Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #26
Administrator

I’m a bit surprised at how well some folks remember when they quit.

It’s been 15 years or so for me since the third and last time I quit, don’t remember exactly when. Quitting in Venezuela was hard, people smoke everywhere and there was (is) no real social or cultural attitude to support not smoking.

Soon after I stopped I was visiting my folks. Over dinner with their closest friends – he was a pediatrician, she a nurse, it came out that I had stopped, and the Doctor said “Congratulations, you can now expect to live 2.8 more years. I remember being slightly disappointed, expecting a much greater effect. It must of shown, because he then said the real difference isn’t how much longer but how much better you will live, especially toward the end.

We spend part of the year in Boca Raton, which has lots of seniors. It’s striking how many use walker/oxygen holders and need oxygen support.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mill View Post
I love smoking cigarettes. I look forward to smoke breaks at work. I look forward to the certain exit on the highway that I always light up at. I look forward to a smoke after I calculate my net worth. Speaking of which...new month.
Well, the good news is that you can raise your SWR.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:47 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Smoked two packs a day from age 21 to 31.This past August was 20 years since I quit. I do not get angry at smokers because I know how hard it was to quit. I do have a problem with people who blow smoke in my face.
okapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Never smoked a tobacco product in my life. Never drank non-alcoholic beer either. What's the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Because the bar is private property frequented only by adults, the dangers of smoking (and secondhand smoke) are well known, and because tobacco is a legal product? If most people don't smoke (true) and most non-smokers would prefer not to breathe cigarette smoke (probably also true) then clearly there is a market for non-smoking bars, they would enjoy a competitive advantage and would thrive. And if somebody wants to run a bar where smoking is permitted, they should be allowed to. And everyone in the smoking bar (including the workers) should be warned of the hazards. There--everyone gets to be free and exercise their rights like adults.

+10 on this
Old 09-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Congratulations, Gumby. Take it from me: good choice.
I have regretted a number of choices in my life, but never the choice to quit smoking.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #31

I quit smoking 12/31/85. I can not believe that I ever made the choice to smoke knowing the possible health problems that could happen and the cost involved. So glad that I quit.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #32

If I could have one wish fulfilled, it would be that my 76 year old mother would quit smoking.

She mentioned quitting for the first time in my life so maybe my wish will come true in the not too distant future. She rarely mentions doing things unless she has already made up her mind to do it.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:56 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Never smoked. My little town finally passed a no smoke ordinance for bars and restaurants. I think we were the last city in the state to do so. But a couple of bars have skirted the ordinance by forming a 'club' as private clubs are exempt. Which is the case at my golf club.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

I quit January 30, 1974. Diabetes and smoking don't mix well. It was probably the best decision I have ever made.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I started smoking at about age 15 or so (in the early 60's). When I was stationed in Vietnam in the late 60's I got free smokes because my unit was so remote that we could not go to the PX and spend $1 on a carton of smokes so they gave us freebies. When I got back to the states and was living in upstate NY I could not bring myself to spend 50 cents a pack, so I gave it up. One of my better healthcare decisions.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Yes, I have the occasional cigarette, cigar or "whatever". Yes, it is bad for me. Remember that a 50 year RE means a reduced SWR. What things that you enjoy would you trade for 5 more years in the nursing home?

On the banning issue, I think the owner of a bar/restaurant/etc. should be allowed to make up his/her mind on what clientèle they want to cater to. After all, they do own the place. People who "would spend money there if" must convince them it is an economic benefit.
NY did an interesting thing along these lines...for the mere sum of $3000, a bar can get a "special permit" to allow smoking. I know of only 1 bar in the area who paid this ransom for freedom of choice in their own private establishment. The rest of the places built covered and/or enclosed porch areas or simply enclosed their entrances to allow outdoor smoking.
Employees are given the choice to remain or quit if the owner gets the permit.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #37

Guess I never saw what was appealing about smoking, and nobody was happier when certain establishments disallowed smoking....yeah, what a party pooper I am, right?
Old 09-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #38
Dryer sheet aficionado

Don't consider it smoking, consider it reducing your longevity risk.
Nick59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick59 View Post
Don't consider it smoking, consider it reducing your longevity risk.
Ah. So a heavy smoker could adjust their Safe Withdrawal Rate accordingly...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #40

It is expected that cancer overtakes heart disease as the world's top killer this year. The main reason ? Rising use of tobacco worldwide. Better stay away from it.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote