Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Have you smoked within the last 3 months?
I am a man and I have smoked within the last 3 months 17 10.18%
I am a woman and I have smoked within the last 3 months 5 2.99%
I am a man and I have not smoked within the last 3 months 98 58.68%
I am a woman and I have not smoked within the last 3 months 47 28.14%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
It is expected that cancer overtakes heart disease as the world's top killer this year. The main reason ? Rising use of tobacco worldwide. Better stay away from it.
An awful lot of cardio-vascular disease is caused by smoking also, so if you are a smoker you have both to worry about.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Smokers often tell me they wish they could quit, but can't because they are addicted.

My first SO smoked. He gave it up because I asked him to, and was smoke-free for several years. When we split up, he took up smoking again, and got a new SO, who smoked. (Or maybe it was the other way around, I never knew for sure ).
They eventually got married, and a few years later, his father (who smoked) died of a heart attack.
Then the smoking wife died of lung cancer. In her 40's!
Last time I ran into this former-SO, he was smoking.

I don't understand someone who CAN quit, sees reasons all around him TO quit, but chooses not to.

Then again, I never really "got" peer pressure.

Amethyst

Old 09-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
An awful lot of cardio-vascular disease is caused by smoking also, so if you are a smoker you have both to worry about.
Alan - You are correct. I was just mentioning this from the latest WHO's International Agency for Research on Cancer report. They made a clear distinction between cardivascular disease and cancer. From memory, cancer deaths globally are expected to reach 7 million this year, and new cancer cases expected to rise to 27-30 million by 2030 (many of them caused by increased smoking in the developing world).
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #44

Quote:
... and new cancer cases expected to rise to 27-30 million by 2030 (many of them caused by increased smoking in the developing world).
I used to work as an engineer for a Meagcorp chemical company and in 1985 I was in their Films division. I attended a business update meeting that year where they showed the decline in sales of the type of thin film wrapping that goes on cigarette packets, CDs etc. The presenter stated that the decline was mostly due to the drop in sales of cigarettes in the N. America and Europe, but they expected sales to increase quite rapidly as Big Tobacco had started to agressively advertise in the developing world.

I felt pretty negative that day ...
Old 09-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #45

Quote:
Alan - You are correct. I was just mentioning this from the latest WHO's International Agency for Research on Cancer report. They made a clear distinction between cardivascular disease and cancer. From memory, cancer deaths globally are expected to reach 7 million this year, and new cancer cases expected to rise to 27-30 million by 2030 (many of them caused by increased smoking in the developing world).
Since we have to die of something, I'm guessing that increasing rates of cancer may well be an indicator of improving overall health, in that cancer is probably much better correlated with age (all the way up the scale) than cardiovascular conditions. (That said, given the choice, I'll take the heart attack, preferably in my sleep, rather than cancer, thanks very much.)
Old 09-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I quit 26 years and 6 months ago at the age of 37 and I am proud I did. Terrible habit. Probably the number one killer in the US today. Our health insurance rates would be cut in half if everyone quit, maybe more. I cannot think of anything good about smoking. I regret I ever picked up the habit to begin with. Both my parents smoked and it killed them at an early age. I know, all you smokers are going to say you have to die from something but you would change your mind if you ever witnessed anyone dying from lung cancer. That is what got my parents and it was not pretty. My 2-cents on this. I know it is not going to change anyone from doing it but I posted my reply anyway
Old 09-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #47

Yup, I watched my Mom die from Lung Cancer, horrible. I'd much rather go to sleep and wake up dead.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Smokers often tell me they wish they could quit, but can't because they are addicted.

I don't understand someone who CAN quit, sees reasons all around him TO quit, but chooses not to.

Then again, I never really "got" peer pressure.

Amethyst
If you understand addiction, you probably wouldn't attribute your former SO's taking up the habit to "peer pressure". PP may be a factor in returning to an addictive behavior. However, addiction is for life. You may be able to change the behavior (i.e. "quit") but you are still addicted. The "pull" of the addiction is powerful. It never goes away. Both my parents (who both smoked and eventually quit) stated that they craved cigarettes for the remainder of their lives. They made the decision EACH TIME not to give in. THAT is the nature of addiction.

My recommendation to my kids (or anyone who will listen) don't get addicted in the first place.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:28 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been quit almost 27 years and I never think about smoking. I was addicted also. It is like I never smoked.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
If you understand addiction, you probably wouldn't attribute your former SO's taking up the habit to "peer pressure". PP may be a factor in returning to an addictive behavior. However, addiction is for life. You may be able to change the behavior (i.e. "quit") but you are still addicted. The "pull" of the addiction is powerful. It never goes away. Both my parents (who both smoked and eventually quit) stated that they craved cigarettes for the remainder of their lives. They made the decision EACH TIME not to give in. THAT is the nature of addiction.

My recommendation to my kids (or anyone who will listen) don't get addicted in the first place.
I started at 13 and was pack a day by 18. Quit at 47, 5 years ago. I go for months without even thinking about smoking now. Once I decided my "habit" was a nasty drug addiction it became relatively easy to quit.

There are others who decide to kick the addiction in a more difficult fashion in that they feel as if they are giving up something pleasurable. They have cravings regularly but resist through sheer will power.