Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you have headaches?
Never 16 11.59%
Rarely 72 52.17%
Seldom 24 17.39%
Often 16 11.59%
Way too often 8 5.80%
Constant dull ache 2 1.45%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A few weeks ago I got my first headache in 15 - 20 years. Extreme dehydration was probably the cause.
However, I have been accused by others of being the cause of a fair number of headaches.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2017, 01:24 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Then the migraines went away and instead i get the occasional day of vertigo. Today is almost to the point of hang on to the floor and the meclizine does not seem to be helping much.
Have you tried the Epley procedure?

Although rare, it is possible to read something on this forum you don't agree with and simply move on with your life

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:53 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Oh yes, now I remember I get headaches when I drink wine. That's why I don't drink them anymore. Maybe it's the dehydration.
Quite possibly it could be the wine. My warning sign tends to be a slight tight soreness in the neck. So I try to drink plenty of water particularly between lunch and dinner, the time for me when I'm apt to forget. I recently bought a liter plastic bottle and make a point of draining a good deal of this after lunch. See bottle here: https://smile.amazon.com/Nalgene-Tri...b_title_sports
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:50 PM   #44

It's typically the same type of wine that my husband and used to love and bought cases after cases. It's not $2 chuck.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:15 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's typically the same type of wine that my husband and used to love and bought cases after cases. It's not $2 chuck.
I'm guessing that the wine quality would not be a key variable. My top suspects would be how hydrated one is, how much wine one drinks, and the alcohol percentage.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:31 PM   #46

Almost never. Although, sometimes when I'm working on an "extreme" Sudoku puzzle, I feel like I'm about to get a headache from the level concentration.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:52 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I rarely get headaches, and only when dehydrated. Aspirin never helped.

I used to get ocular migraines before I started taking magnesium. Then I found the real cause was hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism causes magnesium deficiency which causes ocular migraines (for me, at least) and leg cramps. Life is much better on thyroid hormone.
msieweke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:53 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I used to get them along with a sinus outbreak. But I have not had either in years.

I used to get them after drinking more than one margarita made with cheap tequila. But I stopped that!
Old 04-23-2017, 05:02 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Almost never. Although, sometimes when I'm working on an "extreme" Sudoku puzzle, I feel like I'm about to get a headache from the level concentration.
I absolutely *adore* Sudoku, and do at least one puzzle every night as part of my bedtime routine. They clear my mind and often cause me to have dreams about numbers which I like a lot.

But I must admit that if sudoku gave me headaches, I'd probably switch to something else (or stick to the easy ones). Crossword puzzles maybe?
5/17/2018: Retired a second time, this time from my volunteer Admin duties. After 10 years of being on the team, and 40,000+ posts, the time just seemed right. It has been such fun to work with all of our Mods and Admins and I plan to stick around as a regular member.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
http://guides.wsj.com/wine/wine-tips...hes-from-wine/

Most wine gives me headaches from just a couple of glasses. I've always blamed the sulfites.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:13 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I'm guessing that the wine quality would not be a key variable. My top suspects would be how hydrated one is, how much wine one drinks, and the alcohol percentage.
It was not much either. 1/8 of an inch. That's how bad I am. I used to be able to drink half a glass with no problem. but it's not huge throbbing headache, but it's a mild headache.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:17 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Why Do I Get Headaches From Wine? - Wine - WSJ.com

Most wine gives me headaches from just a couple of glasses. I've always blamed the sulfites.
Come to think about it, white wine gives me no headache.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:52 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It was not much either. 1/8 of an inch. That's how bad I am. I used to be able to drink half a glass with no problem. but it's not huge throbbing headache, but it's a mild headache.
That is really a small amount. At least you are unlikely to become a problem drinker.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:05 PM   #54

I used to be able to drink wine with no problem but something changed. Red wine now is impossible for me; I get a migraine that can last many hours. Much worse if I eat something sweet with it. White wine isn't as bad but I now limit myself to a spritzer if I'm out to cut down.
I read that it is not the sulfites but perhaps the tannins, or maybe just alcohol itself. If I'm going to have a glass of wine I sometimes take an aspirin beforehand. And make sure to drink a lot of water.
Marita40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:22 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I used to be able to drink wine with no problem but something changed. Red wine now is impossible for me; I get a migraine that can last many hours. Much worse if I eat something sweet with it. White wine isn't as bad but I now limit myself to a spritzer if I'm out to cut down.
I read that it is not the sulfites but perhaps the tannins, or maybe just alcohol itself. If I'm going to have a glass of wine I sometimes take an aspirin beforehand. And make sure to drink a lot of water.
I have read that Jack Daniel's cures the problem.
Good luck.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:50 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I have had Cluster Headaches(AKA:suicide headaches) for many years. I have not had any for several years. Honestly believe they were part of the evil Megacorp's past. I hope so.

I guess they're like migraines but different. Neither particularly pleasant. I had a neurologist who tried several medications that don't agree with me. I can't take them at all, heart palpitations. There's an old low dose opioid, like Tylenol 3, that mostly works. I hope to never need it.

Recently my BP has needed attention. Wow, I had headaches. Seems like front line folks, EMTS, use this information but many MD'S don't. Finally a little metoprolol and I am "normal".
Fellow sufferer of cluster headaches here. I didn't find any drug that offered any relief unless I was knocked out by it. More recently, I found some cluster headache sites on the internet that touted some unusual remedies, including psychedelics as a preventative drug. Another alternative mentioned almost as an aside was oxygen. Long story short, oxygen worked for me, I didn't need to mess around with trying to get in a drug trial or any other crazy homeopathic journey.

The downside was when I was caught without access to my oxygen tank. I tried hyperventilating breathing and it had the same preventative effect. I've been freed of the pain, now if it would prevent the 'blindness' aura that goes with it, all would be good.

Another strangeness is that even a relatively small amount of alcohol causes a headache of the more normal kind. Rubbing alcohol on me, or the more traditional ethanol imbibing both cause it. I learned at a young age to not like to drink. Death By Chocolate or cooking with spirits doesn't trigger them. In don't have other sensitivities. Go figure.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:42 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Have you tried the Epley procedure?
I tried it a few years ago and it did nothing for me.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:47 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I absolutely *adore* Sudoku, and do at least one puzzle every night as part of my bedtime routine. They clear my mind and often cause me to have dreams about numbers which I like a lot.

But I must admit that if sudoku gave me headaches, I'd probably switch to something else (or stick to the easy ones). Crossword puzzles maybe?
I was never very good at crosswords so I'll stick to Sudoku and just stop before a headache begins. The easy and medium ones are just to easy. Sometimes I'll play Sudoku on line (example Web Sudoku - Billions of Free Sudoku Puzzles to Play Online) and time myself to see how fast I can do them. But I prefer to use a paper copy book. The hard ones can be challenging but are usually doable. The extreme (or evil ones) can be frustrating but are still fun.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:59 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to have headaches nearly every day, then I discovered I was mildly allergic to wheat. When I quit eating wheat, they improved dramatically- lessened by 80% probably, and I haven't had a migraine or cluster headache since I cut way back on the wheat. This year my allergies have been worse than they have been in years- so lots of headaches recently. Wine is a factor too- it not only causes headaches, but also gives me trouble sleeping. Going to have to cut that out too. Ugh.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:11 AM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

I occasionally get migraines (usually related to monthly hormonal changes), and sometimes tension headaches. They are less frequent when I am sleeping well (which I haven't been for the last few months for a variety of reasons).

I am allergic to MSG - gives me almost instant migraines. Luckily these days it is easy to avoid it; was much harder when I was growing up. Also, I used to get regular headaches more often - these decreased dramatically when I stopped wearing contact lenses after I had LASIK surgery 15 years ago.