Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you have headaches?
Never 16 11.59%
Rarely 72 52.17%
Seldom 24 17.39%
Often 16 11.59%
Way too often 8 5.80%
Constant dull ache 2 1.45%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2017, 07:20 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Mostly get headaches when I am dehydrated.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2017, 07:30 PM   #22

I used to get stress headaches during college and when I worked. I don't think I've had a headache at all since I retired except one when I had a horrid cold and I suspect that was due to sinus/head cold symptoms... the rest of the symptoms were far worse.

I sometimes feel the start of one if I haven't had enough water during the day - but I can nip it by drinking water.

I had migraines a few times... but fortunately, they didn't become a regular thing. Horrible horrible pain and light sensitivity.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:43 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I used to get headaches the day after drinking too much beer. So, I switched to wine instead and had the same headaches and also felt bad all over. Since I went on the wagon, no there are no more headaches!

My ex-wife used to get them, especially at night. I think there was a message there, but all is good now. She passed a few years ago from diabetes.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:47 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I had migraines for years, from college until I retired. At work I would carry Imitrex in my pocket because they happened so frequently. I was also put on a calcium channel blocker to try to prevent them, which didn't seem to help.

What helped? Retirement. After I retired I still do occasionally get some mild headaches, but they respond to one dose of Exedrin. I avoid things that are triggers for me such as perfumes and strong smells. I don't drink alcohol, but if I did, I would be guaranteed a headache.

Another thing that helped was treating my hypertension. No physicians ever commented on my blood pressure which for years ran 130-140/90-100 until I got a new PCP who started me on meds. For years I would wake up with a mild headache every morning, which was separate from the migraines. I always attributed it to stress. Once I started BP meds those morning headaches went away.

Life is much better without headaches.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:28 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I have had Cluster Headaches(AKA:suicide headaches) for many years. I have not had any for several years. Honestly believe they were part of the evil Megacorp's past. I hope so.

I guess they're like migraines but different. Neither particularly pleasant. I had a neurologist who tried several medications that don't agree with me. I can't take them at all, heart palpitations. There's an old low dose opioid, like Tylenol 3, that mostly works. I hope to never need it.

Recently my BP has needed attention. Wow, I had headaches. Seems like front line folks, EMTS, use this information but many MD'S don't. Finally a little metoprolol and I am "normal".
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:49 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I said 'never' but i am sure that i have had a few over the years. But 'rarely' seems like it is once or twice a year and it would be much less than that.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:36 PM   #27

Haven't had any other than from Rugby and football in my youth (in hindsight, likely concussion related. ). Does that count as rarely or never?
Old 04-22-2017, 12:25 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used to get terrible migraines and haven't had one since I had my gallbladder removed - no idea why? I still get sinus headaches but an aspirin or Sudafed takes care of them.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:59 AM   #29
Administrator

Fortunately I rarely get headaches but I once had an unbelievably bad headache when I caught meningitis and since then I have been extremely sympathetic to those who suffer from migraines or cluster headaches like our son. Like the poster above our son's cluster headaches stopped entirely after graduating college and settling into a mostly stress free job. He went through a really tough number of years as his cluster headaches started at an unusually young age while he was still at High School, aged about 15.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:50 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I rarely get headaches, and when I do it's usually congestion.

I wasn't sure what the distinction is between rarely and seldom though.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:00 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I have had Cluster Headaches......".
Add me to the Cluster Headache group. Get them every 10 weeks or so, and then they attack anywhere from 3 to 14 days. I take 2 different RX when I get a spell (and ice pack on my closed eyelids), but in the daytime Excedrin usually works like a charm for me. During a cluster spell, I make sure to have Excedrin with me at all times.
mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:50 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I wasn't sure what the distinction is between rarely and seldom though.
I toyed with that, too. I took rarely as a low, unpredictable frequency. I took seldom as nearly a low, but predictable frequency. Not much of a distinction, but that's why I answered seldom.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:02 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Haven't had any other than from Rugby and football in my youth (in hindsight, likely concussion related. ).
I also had two concussions in the same stretch of time that I had headaches, though they didn't seem related at the time.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:07 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
I voted rarely but I had them often when I worked caused primarily by the long commute, traffic jams and the bullshit at work. Major benefit of retirement.
My commuting/job stress shows up as upper back and hand pain. Looking forward to retiring in 2019/2020.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #35
Gone but not forgotten

"Never"

Wow... So may lucky people!
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I have never had one. I know some people that have migraines often and fell so sorry for them. It really affects their life style.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:32 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Mostly get headaches when I am dehydrated.
Me too.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:14 AM   #38

Oh yes, now I remember I get headaches when I drink wine. That's why I don't drink them anymore. Maybe it's the dehydration.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Poll: Headaches
Old 04-23-2017, 11:52 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Poll: Headaches

I used to get occasional migraines, the kind where you just wanted to jump in front of a bus. Then when I had a sinus infection that wouldn't clear up I went to an ENT doctor. I was diagnosed with a deviated septum and had sinus surgery. No more migraines and according to DW no more snoring. Breathing is so much better. I hadn't realized I had a problem until that sinus infection showed up!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I used to get the occasional cracking migraine from my teens to my early 30s. Then the migraines went away and instead i get the occasional day of vertigo. Today is almost to the point of hang on to the floor and the meclizine does not seem to be helping much.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote