Average health but concerned about an underlying condition 33 16.34%
Below average health but nothing serious 10 4.95%
Battling a major illness 4 1.98%
Unhealthy 1 0.50%
Walking dead 4 1.98%
Dead 1 0.50%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

She could be, or perhaps still likes what she's doing. Probably OMY?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Probably OMY?
More like OMG, I'd say.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
You will be OK, Nemo. And I know you do not do High-Intensity stuff like T-Al running all out on the beach.

I do not know how to vote, so do not vote.

Four years ago, I would be cocky sure that I was healthy. My doctor told me "Best blood work I have seen in a while" during an annual exam. Speaking of which, I had to go see him once every 2 years, or they threw my records out, thinking that I had left town.

Ever since that health scare and still wearing surgery scars to remind me of the multiple surgeries, I am not certain of anything anymore. Just counting my blessings.
That must have been so frightening, and what a strong reminder of what is most important in life, and what is not.

I haven't yet had an extreme health scare like you did, but I am still struggling to lose weight. For a very overweight person I'm fairly healthy, but because I am not anywhere near my goal weight I voted that my health was "below average health but nothing too serious".

I just saw in the news that Ted Brennan, who ran Brennan's restaurant here in New Orleans for 40 years, died this week at age 68. He was only 6 months older than me. What is worse is that his brothers died before he did, and his father died when he was a child. Then there are all the rock stars that died this year, like David Bowie who died at 69 and Prince who was still in his 50's when he died. I don't use illegal drugs so I suppose that helps. Still, I am already thinking that I must be pretty healthy to have outlived so many others.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:15 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
is this a pole?
I am going with Lease as in pole lease.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #25

This is something I've been reflecting on a lot lately. I'm 39, just recently qualified for the 2017 Boston Marathon, represented the country last year in the ITU age-group world championships for sprint triathlons, and by most anyone's direct observation would be "very fit/healthy." The toll the training and endurance sport lifestyle has taken on my body over the last 20+ years has to be adding up.

I have little aches and pains that are related to my sports pursuits. My Achilles tendons are inflamed and sometimes painful to the touch, even after several weeks of down time. I've recently had a hip flexor injury. I've had issues with my SI. Just about every day I feel some kind of different soreness and moving around isn't always pleasant. I risk serious trauma every time I ride my bike (having had two major accidents that cost me work and training time).

I am seriously considering retiring from competing at any kind of high level because of the toll it takes on my body and the return I get on the investment of time. I'm not a pro. I'll never be a pro. It's a diversion and a means to get fit.

I have spent a lot of time looking into ways to maintain my health, strength, and mobility in a more moderate fashion. As Mark Sisson decided at around my age, I think I'd rather look fit than be fit. The implication is that lean muscle mass, relatively low body fat, and the ability to play fun games and sports with friends and family is more important than being able to go under 3:00 in a marathon on my own. I think I can do that by maintaining a healthy diet (albeit with a significant reduction in caloric intake!) and a moderate strength and moderate aerobic routine that doesn't involve doing some relatively intense training every single day, sometimes twice a day.

Overall, while anyone would look at me and say, "That guy's fit and healthy!", the truth is, I'm not sure I really am in terms of the things that really, truly matter.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

You're healthier than others.... until you aren't.

I voted ten-foot pole.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #27

Old 08-04-2016, 10:50 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

If it's a poll I'm having technical issues.

I think I'm pretty healthy at least compared to where I was 18 months ago. Going from obese to a healthy BMI and a lot of exercise certainly made a difference. I was on BP meds since '92, I'm so happy not to be taking any meds now.

I'm more grateful for the changes DW has done. Besides a healthy BMI, her anxiety and depression are so much better. Her docs don't even try to explain it, they both said sometimes it happens.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:52 AM   #29

I'm decently healthy, well except for a factor V issue....I've discovered that age-related morbidity is definitely age-related
Old 08-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
...I have spent a lot of time looking into ways to maintain my health, strength, and mobility in a more moderate fashion...
I can understand if someone wants to be athletic until an advanced age. But if longevity and health are a concern, then it is a different issue altogether.

One can look at the centenarians around the world to see how many of them were competitively athletic at any point. Mostly, they were just trim and fit, and active throughout their life, have a healthy diet and stress-free lifestyle.

On the other hand, does anybody have a statistics showing longevity of Olympians?
Old 08-04-2016, 11:02 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That must have been so frightening, and what a strong reminder of what is most important in life, and what is not...
Yes. But once you are past it, you go back to your old way. Well, maybe there's some residual effect, but you are not thinking the same as when you were not sure you would last.

For example, I thought that once I recovered, I would get myself a smaller and newer dually Sprinter-based class C. It would be close to $100K.

Then, when I regained my health, I changed my mind. Nah, it's only a very small percentage of my net worth, but I don't think it would get me more happiness. Just the fact that I am back at the steering wheel again, and being able to take a 2-month long RV trek to Nova Scotia, singing "On the road again" with Willie, was enough happiness. And to eat a big lobster in Halifax, washed down with a local IPA ...
Old 08-04-2016, 11:10 AM   #32

I was going to put above average but then I put average. I was thinking 'compared to what others'? Canadians, Americans, OECDs, world...

The poll results look a little like the members of this community mostly come from Lake Wobegon.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:12 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
The poll results look a little like the members of this community mostly come from Lake Wobegon.
I bet we are, well at least compared to the people of Walmart
Old 08-04-2016, 11:24 AM   #34

Quote:
I can understand if someone wants to be athletic until an advanced age. But if longevity and health are a concern, then it is a different issue altogether.

One can look at the centenarians around the world to see how many of them were competitively athletic at any point. Mostly, they were just trim and fit, and active throughout their life, have a healthy diet and stress-free lifestyle.

On the other hand, does anybody have a statistics showing longevity of Olympians?
It's really not just about survival, but more about mobility and functionality. There are plenty of indications that running and high-impact sports earlier in life build bone density (as well as cardiovascular health), but that effect is largely mitigated by recurrent soft tissue damage and osteoarthritis incurred by continued long-term participation in those types of sports. Those aren't things that are going to kill you, but they're definitely going to hinder one's quality of life. In my opinion, if I'm 80 and unable to move around on my own, I'm not sure continued ability to draw breath is something I care about at that point, but I admit that's a fairly narrow view given there are folks my age who aren't able to do so and still lead meaningful lives.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #35

Quote:
I bet we are, well at least compared to the people of Walmart
Yes I suspect that you are correct in that assertion given that the discipline to get to FIRE is likely carried over to other aspects of life. Perhaps we should start polls on BMI, smoking, alcohol intake, flossing (maybe we already had one on this?), etc
Old 08-04-2016, 11:35 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Yes I suspect that you are correct in that assertion given that the discipline to get to FIRE is likely carried over to other aspects of life. Perhaps we should start polls on BMI, smoking, alcohol intake, flossing (maybe we already had one on this?), etc
a study came out yesterday that said flossing is useless

BMI is a joke anyway
Old 08-04-2016, 11:49 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am seriously considering retiring from competing at any kind of high level because of the toll it takes on my body and the return I get on the investment of time. I'm not a pro. I'll never be a pro. It's a diversion and a means to get fit.
I am learning the art of non-competitive activities. I think you are on the right track questioning what is really important for you.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:03 PM   #38

Quote:
a study came out yesterday that said flossing is useless
Um, no. What AP found was that there are no solid studies that prove that flossing is beneficial. That's different from showing that it's not useful.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:14 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's really not just about survival, but more about mobility and functionality. There are plenty of indications that running and high-impact sports earlier in life build bone density (as well as cardiovascular health), but that effect is largely mitigated by recurrent soft tissue damage and osteoarthritis incurred by continued long-term participation in those types of sports. Those aren't things that are going to kill you, but they're definitely going to hinder one's quality of life. In my opinion, if I'm 80 and unable to move around on my own, I'm not sure continued ability to draw breath is something I care about at that point, but I admit that's a fairly narrow view given there are folks my age who aren't able to do so and still lead meaningful lives.
Yes, I was talking about the centenarians who are mobile until the end, not the people who are in bed hooked up to tubes.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Um, no. What AP found was that there are no solid studies that prove that flossing is beneficial. That's different from showing that it's not useful.
so it's good exercise?