Average health but concerned about an underlying condition 33 16.34%
Below average health but nothing serious 10 4.95%
Battling a major illness 4 1.98%
Unhealthy 1 0.50%
Walking dead 4 1.98%
Dead 1 0.50%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2016, 03:41 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Are you suggesting that people that hang out in the other sub-forums are less healthy?
Could be now that you mention it. Just reading this thread should make people healthier.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 04:07 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I am struggling with the death of a good friend from cancer. My oldest son is being treated for testicular cancer. I am suffering from some incompetence in a dentist and a retina doctor. I have the feeling that my "best before" date was 2 years ago.

But I am a fighter. This too shall pass...
Old 08-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I started to put, healthier than other people my age, but changed it to average health. I had to go on a beta blocker and blood thinner in 2014, due to a couple of minor health problems. I have always been in a "normal" BMI category, but I am now pushing the top limit. I do Aqua Jog 3 times per week, but need to get back to weight machines too. Don't feel like I have as much energy as I did when younger.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:45 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Hmm, lesse, I take one baby aspirin every other day. That is the all the medicine I take. For one born in 1947 I guess I am somewhere between dead and superior health.

I put nothing in the poll, would not touch it with a ten foot Pole.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:47 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
... I have the feeling that my "best before" date was 2 years ago...
I am in the phase "Refrigerate after opening". No High-Intensity anything for me. I am just cruisin'.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I don't think this poll is linear, so I had to jump down farther to Battling a major illness

Even though I think it might not be that bad... ?

The parts of the poll above it were mild by comparison or out of order.

Average health but concerned about an underlying condition
or
Below average health but nothing serious (this seems better than the higher one)
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I didn't see the option for "still alive", so I didn't vote.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:48 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I know! As of this moment, out of 63 voters more than 93% think their health is average or better. Excuse me while I spray ice water on my monitor. .
This forum attracts people that made the effort to put their finances in order so that they could retire early. It's not a stretch to think that many of those same people also made the effort to keep themselves fit and healthy so that they could enjoy the fruits of their labour once they did retire.

I voted "better than average". My blood work is spot on, I have no health problems, my family has a history of longevity, and I am very fit....I can still knock off 15 chin-ups, bench 1.5 X my weight for reps, and run 5k in 22 minutes.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:56 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Quote:
I know! As of this moment, out of 63 voters more than 93% think their health is average or better. Excuse me while I spray ice water on my monitor.
This forum attracts people that made the effort to put their finances in order so that they could retire early. It's not a stretch to think that many of those same people also made the effort to keep themselves fit and healthy so that they could enjoy the fruits of their labour once they did retire.
I think you missed my point, which was in the rest of my post that you deleted when you quoted it:
Quote:
And this is the same group that includes a sizeable fraction planning to spend their last dollar before age 85 or so. Lots of wishful thinking, and I don't think many will look as eagerly upon the Smith and Wesson solution when the time comes, as they do now.
My point was that if they are such mah-vel-ous specimens and so amazingly and unusually healthy (after knocking themselves out to earn millions in a brief time), then why is it that so many of us only extend our financial plans until the median age of death? That is why I was laughing. And then, in those threads when people suggest it might be bests to plan for at least some income past the median age of death, we start hearing mumbling about the Smith and Wesson solution? Honestly I think some of our members are seriously fooling themselves about either one, or the other.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:59 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I don't think this poll is linear, so I had to jump down farther to Battling a major illness

Even though I think it might not be that bad... ?

The parts of the poll above it were mild by comparison or out of order.

Average health but concerned about an underlying condition
or
Below average health but nothing serious (this seems better than the higher one)
Ideally I would have gotten input such as yours on this poll's construction. That would have required a 2 step process which I've thought of doing in the past but opted for the easy way out. So unfortunately we are left with a flawed but nonetheless (I hope) interesting poll.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:31 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think you missed my point, which was in the rest of my post that you deleted when you quoted it: My point was that if they are such mah-vel-ous specimens and so amazingly and unusually healthy (after knocking themselves out to earn millions in a brief time), then why is it that so many of us only extend our financial plans until the median age of death? That is why I was laughing. And then, in those threads when people suggest it might be bests to plan for at least some income past the median age of death, we start hearing mumbling about the Smith and Wesson solution? Honestly I think some of our members are seriously fooling themselves about either one, or the other.
Just because you are healthy today doesn't mean that you will be healthy tomorrow. Also, for those who don't need the extra money that SS or CPP will provide if they wait, then they are making the choice to enjoy the use of the money now while they are younger and healthier.

I retired early to enjoy life today, not at some point in the future that may not arrive. If I live 20 years past the CPP break-even point, I will still be happy with that choice because I was able to enjoy the extra money during my youngest and healthiest years.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:03 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think you missed my point, which was in the rest of my post that you deleted when you quoted it: My point was that if they are such mah-vel-ous specimens and so amazingly and unusually healthy (after knocking themselves out to earn millions in a brief time), then why is it that so many of us only extend our financial plans until the median age of death? That is why I was laughing. And then, in those threads when people suggest it might be bests to plan for at least some income past the median age of death, we start hearing mumbling about the Smith and Wesson solution? Honestly I think some of our members are seriously fooling themselves about either one, or the other.
A fair point, but I don't know that it's really that many people who think this, but rather some insistent people who make it seem that way.

Anyway, I'm running 70+ miles a week, training to run my second 100 miler this fall, so I make no apologies for putting myself in the top group. And my financial plan is prepared in case I live to be 100+. Not making any best on living over 100, but I figure I ought to be ready, just in case it happens.

Besides, I think positive thinking is good, unless it has you fooled into thinking you don't need to watch what you eat, or that getting out of bed in the morning is enough exercise. To some extent, believing you feel good keeps you feeling good.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:12 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
And my financial plan is prepared in case I live to be 100+. Not making any best on living over 100, but I figure I ought to be ready, just in case it happens.
Well thank goodness, I am glad to read this because to me it means that you are not going to be sleeping under a bridge or committing suicide if you live to be older than 85. Many of us may live to be quite old. I'm not counting on it either, but like you I'm prepared just in case. And if I am lucky enough to live to a very old age, I plan to have the most wonderful last years that anyone ever had.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:24 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well thank goodness, I am glad to read this because to me it means that you are not going to be sleeping under a bridge or committing suicide if you live to be older than 85. Many of us may live to be quite old. I'm not counting on it either, but like you I'm prepared just in case. And if I am lucky enough to live to a very old age, I plan to have the most wonderful last years that anyone ever had.
I hear ya. I may not be out traveling the world, but I want enough to be comfortable, and not worrying about how to pay the utility bill if I need to turn on the A/C or heat.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:30 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
No, but she is smoking.

If you smoke after sex, use more lubricant...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:36 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
i didn't see the option for "still alive", so i didn't vote.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1470364525.786031.jpg

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:33 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Do you think the ER forum will change as we baby boomers age? Maybe a good topic for another thread.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:04 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Do you think the ER forum will change as we baby boomers age? Maybe a good topic for another thread.
Gee, I don't know! I wonder. I agree, good idea for a thread of its own, sometime.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:29 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know how healthy I am. I need to have a physical to find out. Haven't had one since 2004. Had blood work done in 2011 that was good, recent BP/heart rate check is ok. Doing 7-9 workouts a week, but I can't judge how healthy I am from the results. Knees have been really sore lately.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:00 AM   #80
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
If you smoke after sex, use more lubricant...
DW asked me on our 1st date if I smoked and I said no.

She then asked if I smoked after sex, and I said I dunno, I never looked!
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote