• Unhealthy

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Walking dead :)

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Dead :)

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

Lsbcal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hopefully we do not have any in the last two categories.

If you are depressed that could figure in as a health issue. Mostly I was thinking of physical health.

Last edited:
Yes this is a poll. Did I blow the construction? I do not see the word "Poll" in the thread title. I will try to edit this.

Yes this is a poll. Did I blow the construction? I do not see the word "Poll" in the thread title. I will try to edit this.

It's fine. It generally takes a minute or two to get the poll constructed, and during that time it looks like there is no poll.

Five months ago I'd've answered 'Extremely healthy for my age'.......now, with all that's transpired in the interim, I'm wondering about 'Walking Dead'. ;)

I put down healthier than others my age. I'm not on any meds whatsoever, but each year (knock on wood) after my physical the numbers (glucose, lipid) come back I'm healthy, but not as healthy as a horse :). My doc tells me, keep exercising and do a good job watching what I eat, no meds needed.

Five months ago I'd've answered 'Extremely healthy for my age'.......now, with all that's transpired in the interim, I'm wondering about 'Walking Dead'. ;)
I read of your health issues Nemo and hope all will be OK :). I guess this just shows that we are all temporary creatures with changing health conditions. Tough to come to terms with such realities, at least for me.

You will be OK, Nemo. And I know you do not do High-Intensity stuff in your condition, like T-Al running all out on the beach.

I do not know how to vote, so do not vote.

Four years ago, I would be cocky sure that I was healthy. My doctor told me "Best blood work I have seen in a while" during an annual exam. Speaking of which, I had to go see him once every 2 years, or they threw my records out, thinking that I had left town.

Ever since that health scare and still wearing surgery scars to remind me of the multiple surgeries, I am not certain of anything anymore. Just counting my blessings.

Last edited:

We are all "Walking Dead." A big question is: "How much longer will we be on this walk?" The biggest question might be: "Are we there yet?"

Pole, you say?

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1470325316.545261.jpg

If I were the person in the above photo, I would vote "Extremely healthy, beyond anybody's wildest imagination".

She could be, or perhaps still likes what she's doing. Probably OMY?

You will be OK, Nemo. And I know you do not do High-Intensity stuff like T-Al running all out on the beach.

I do not know how to vote, so do not vote.

Four years ago, I would be cocky sure that I was healthy. My doctor told me "Best blood work I have seen in a while" during an annual exam. Speaking of which, I had to go see him once every 2 years, or they threw my records out, thinking that I had left town.

Ever since that health scare and still wearing surgery scars to remind me of the multiple surgeries, I am not certain of anything anymore. Just counting my blessings.
That must have been so frightening, and what a strong reminder of what is most important in life, and what is not.

I haven't yet had an extreme health scare like you did, but I am still struggling to lose weight. For a very overweight person I'm fairly healthy, but because I am not anywhere near my goal weight I voted that my health was "below average health but nothing too serious".

I just saw in the news that Ted Brennan, who ran Brennan's restaurant here in New Orleans for 40 years, died this week at age 68. He was only 6 months older than me. What is worse is that his brothers died before he did, and his father died when he was a child. Then there are all the rock stars that died this year, like David Bowie who died at 69 and Prince who was still in his 50's when he died. I don't use illegal drugs so I suppose that helps. Still, I am already thinking that I must be pretty healthy to have outlived so many others.

Last edited:
This is something I've been reflecting on a lot lately. I'm 39, just recently qualified for the 2017 Boston Marathon, represented the country last year in the ITU age-group world championships for sprint triathlons, and by most anyone's direct observation would be "very fit/healthy." The toll the training and endurance sport lifestyle has taken on my body over the last 20+ years has to be adding up.

I have little aches and pains that are related to my sports pursuits. My Achilles tendons are inflamed and sometimes painful to the touch, even after several weeks of down time. I've recently had a hip flexor injury. I've had issues with my SI. Just about every day I feel some kind of different soreness and moving around isn't always pleasant. I risk serious trauma every time I ride my bike (having had two major accidents that cost me work and training time).

I am seriously considering retiring from competing at any kind of high level because of the toll it takes on my body and the return I get on the investment of time. I'm not a pro. I'll never be a pro. It's a diversion and a means to get fit.

I have spent a lot of time looking into ways to maintain my health, strength, and mobility in a more moderate fashion. As Mark Sisson decided at around my age, I think I'd rather look fit than be fit. The implication is that lean muscle mass, relatively low body fat, and the ability to play fun games and sports with friends and family is more important than being able to go under 3:00 in a marathon on my own. I think I can do that by maintaining a healthy diet (albeit with a significant reduction in caloric intake!) and a moderate strength and moderate aerobic routine that doesn't involve doing some relatively intense training every single day, sometimes twice a day.

Overall, while anyone would look at me and say, "That guy's fit and healthy!", the truth is, I'm not sure I really am in terms of the things that really, truly matter.

Back
Top Bottom