Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How many daily medications do you take?
0 67 34.72%
1 33 17.10%
2 26 13.47%
3 24 12.44%
4 18 9.33%
5 8 4.15%
6 7 3.63%
7 1 0.52%
8 4 2.07%
>8 5 2.59%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Poll:How many daily medications do you take?
Old 08-21-2018, 12:16 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Poll:How many daily medications do you take?

Wondering how many meds the early-retirement.org community is on? I was originally thinking of asking about prescription medications but that would miss a few things. So I would not include vitamin and mineral supplements (perhaps excepting those that are on calcium and vitamin D) but would include low dose ASA or regular NSAIDs like ibuprofen or naproxen and acetaminophen.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

So far, none.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not quite sure how to answer. I have 2 daily prescriptions, one oral, one eye drops. Plus two prescriptions that are taken as needed, so sometimes daily, sometimes not.
Plus multiple OTC supplements and vitamins recommended by PCP, but not prescription.
If I counted everything, it would be 8-10, but not all are taken every day and not all are "prescribed".
Old 08-21-2018, 12:30 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Calcium/D3 for many years now. Not sure it is doing any good for my bones, as I keep losing bone density despite drinking a pint of milk daily, eating salmon with bones, broccoli etc.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Not quite sure how to answer. I have 2 daily prescriptions, one oral, one eye drops. Plus two prescriptions that are taken as needed, so sometimes daily, sometimes not.
Plus multiple OTC supplements and vitamins recommended by PCP, but not prescription.
If I counted everything, it would be 8-10, but not all are taken every day and not all are "prescribed".

So don't count vitamins and minerals unless vitamin D/calcium for diagnosed osteoporosis or let's say something prescribed specifically for a clinically apparent deficiency (so almost nothing unless you have just returned from a long sea journey or truly have pernicious anemia). You would have to be the judge of a prescription that is taken intermittently - let's arbitrarily say more than half of the days in a typical month...

Daily eye drops or inhalers or nasal sprays or vaginal/rectal/sc/IM/transdermal/sl/etc dosing counts.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:40 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

So far none, not even daily vitamins or supplements. Antihistamines for hay fever about 4 weeks/year and the occasional aspirin, that’s it - so far.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:42 PM   #7
gone traveling

Voted for 1.
I take a magnesium pill every M, W, F. I started 3 weeks ago.
It has reduced my nighttime random leg cramps significantly.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Let’s see...
On meds for:
Depression (2)
High blood pressure (1)
Essential tremors (1)
Heart disease (1)
Arthritis (1)
Daily aspirin (1)
Vitamin D (1) (doctor’s orders)
Pain meds as needed (2)
Asthma (2)

Total is too many.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

No prescriptions but a small pile of supplements, which I'm gradually whittling down after discussing with my sister the doctor. (She thought a multivitamin would cover most of it, plus calcium and glucosamine/chondratin.)
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:55 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Calcium/D3 for many years now. Not sure it is doing any good for my bones, as I keep losing bone density despite drinking a pint of milk daily, eating salmon with bones, broccoli etc.
Have you ever thought that drinking cow's milk might be aggravating the problem?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Three.

I desperately want off the 50mg of metoprolol I'm on. Going down from 100mg to 50mg was a terrible time. I got so freaking sick of being in tachycardia and bradycardia(at different times[emoji12]) . Now my heartrate is always normal. I'm pretty sure I could get by on 25mg, but I'm not sure I want to go through that same process again.

I'm down from 10+ a couple of years ago. Amazing how diet, exercise, and losing weight made the need for many prescription meds go away. Some made sense, like statins. Others like meds for chronic cluster headaches, or anxiety make no sense to me, however I'm not complaining.

ETA: I didn't include the medical Cannabis I use for pain management. It beats the mild opioids I was on for many years.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

There was a thread a while back on this very same subject.

Back then, I had no prescription drug. Now, have to take Lisinopril for "essential hypertension".

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #13

Three. Two prescription drugs for high blood pressure plus 81 mg aspirin.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:17 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Based on observation only, I believe it is age related. As folks get older they tend to take more. I am very lucky at 73 to still be at zero. I sometimes take an antacid if I eat certain things like Italian foods, red wine and a couple other. But only as needed. Doctor would like me to take a daily aspirin but haven't gone there yet.

With medicine, I feel less is best if at all possible.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:21 PM   #15

2 - low dose aspirin just because and Tylenol/Advil at bedtime or otherwise I ache too much and can't sleep.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
There was a thread a while back on this very same subject.

Back then, I had no prescription drug. Now, have to take Lisinopril for "essential hypertension".

Sorry I couldn't find one. One from 2013 on 'how many pills do you take daily' so similar. I don't know if I have missed a more recent or similar one.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:45 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
In 2011, I took none. Been adding one a year on average. Does taking the same pill twice count as 2?
Old 08-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
In 2011, I took none. Been adding one a year on average. Does taking the same pill twice count as 2?

No I don't think that doesn't count (in this poll). Taking two or three different meds for the same condition would count as more than one med. But goal is how many different meds per day. Not pills. I wouldn't even count short acting versus long acting or oral versus sublingual if it is the same med. Like someone taking different types of insulin. But insulin and an oral hypoglycemic counts as two...
Old 08-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

None for me. My new PCP was surprised by that.

But if I don't get things together a statin may be in my future.... I'm borderline at last check but have been borderline for quite a while now.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:28 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

None for me, but I expect down the road....