Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How well do you sleep?
I consider myself to be retired, and I am satisfied with the quantity and quality of my sleep 40 27.97%
I consider myself to be retired, and I sleep like a baby and feel refreshed and renewed... couldn't be better! 13 9.09%
I consider myself to be retired, and I don't get as much good quality sleep as I would like. 34 23.78%
I do not consider myself to be retired, and I am satisfied with the quantity and quality of my sleep 12 8.39%
I do not consider myself to be retired, and I sleep like a baby and feel refreshed and renewed... couldn't be better! 3 2.10%
I do not consider myself to be retired, and I don't get as much good quality sleep as I would like. 36 25.17%
None of these categories fit in my case or I think this poll is stupid. 5 3.50%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm not retired. I sleep ok when I sleep with my wife, but when I sleep someplace else, which is 4 or 5 nights a week, I don't sleep very well at all many or even most nights.

As far as sleeping late, I don't know that I'll be a late sleeper, even after I retire. When I sleep later, I just feel like I'm sleeping my life away. I like to be up with the rising sun. Maybe that will change in time, but for now, that's how I feel. Wife is perfectly ok with sleeping later on weekends. I'm usually up 2 or 3 hours in the mornings while she stays in bed.

Once I retire, I expect I'll rise early to go fishing or do other things. I'll have plenty of time for sleeping after I'm dead.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #42
gone traveling

I try to sleep, but DW wakes me several times each night to satisfy her "needs" ...

Darn, I'm tired

What was the question, again?

Old 11-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I try to sleep, but DW wakes me several times each night to satisfy her "needs" ...

Darn, I'm tired

What was the question, again?

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #44

Until I turned about 60, I usually got 7+ hours of sleep. But, the older I'm becoming the less sleep I'm getting. I'm now down to about 6 hours a night and that doesn't really work out so well. I often "get a jump on the day" at 5:00 AM. Kind of a nice time of the day, but I'd rather be sleeping.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sleep great since retiring- usually from around midnight until around 8 AM. On the few nights that has not worked....there is nap time the next day! Naps were never available while w*rking. such a sweet luxury...
Old 11-27-2012, 07:19 AM   #46

That there are so many posts on the tread indicates much interest. Although the original question asked "how well do you sleep?"... many of the posts indicate "not well"... and my thinking is that this goes more to the question of "why"...

While everyone will be different, and there are no broad easy answers, it seems that one of the major points of difference between a good sleep, and interrupted sleep is age. Like many of the posters here, I too slept like a log when I was younger, say 70. The tendency is to become more less active as we age, and this often leads to sleep that is less deep, and more responsive to physical and mental stimuli, causing interruptions. With less concern about the outside world, it is easier to internalize worries about health, personal security and day to day minor cares.... ie. that little person inside us needs something to concentrate our problem solving abilities on.

Looking for answers on the internet is like finding the needle in the haystack... most sites mean well, but come at the subject of sleep from widely divergent viewpoints.

For those who have no problems sleeping, don't worry about this stuff, but don't be too surprised if this changes with advancing age.