Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How well do you sleep?
I consider myself to be retired, and I am satisfied with the quantity and quality of my sleep 40 27.97%
I consider myself to be retired, and I sleep like a baby and feel refreshed and renewed... couldn't be better! 13 9.09%
I consider myself to be retired, and I don't get as much good quality sleep as I would like. 34 23.78%
I do not consider myself to be retired, and I am satisfied with the quantity and quality of my sleep 12 8.39%
I do not consider myself to be retired, and I sleep like a baby and feel refreshed and renewed... couldn't be better! 3 2.10%
I do not consider myself to be retired, and I don't get as much good quality sleep as I would like. 36 25.17%
None of these categories fit in my case or I think this poll is stupid. 5 3.50%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Poll:How well do you sleep?
Old 11-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
Administrator

Poll:How well do you sleep?

How well do you sleep, and are you retired or not? For the purposes of this poll, you are the sole judge of whether you are retired or not, and of how well you sleep. If you can't decide, or if these categories just don't fit your situation, or if you just feel cantankerous, there is a 7th option "none of these categories fit" just for you.

I have slept like a baby since I retired, so I am voting for that one. I do tend to want to stay up later and sleep later each day, on a 25 hour per day schedule, so I have to set an alarm. But otherwise, I have never slept so soundly in my entire life.

When I was working, I was often insomniac and constantly sleepy. I think I was just too keyed up most of the time to sleep well at the time.

Just thought it might be interesting to see how others feel about their own sleep, and didn't find a similar thread so here you go.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Although I am retired and sometimes awaken much earlier than I would like, I voted for #1. The ability to take an afternoon nap on those early wake up days works great for me.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I sleep very well. The only thing that bothers me is I dream a lot about my past. Past jobs, old friends I've haven't seen in years, and so on. Makes me think I'm a bit mired in my past - in my dreams anyway. Don't feel that way when I'm awake. I've become involved in many new activities since retirement I love but there's that ghost of the past that seems to still inhabit my dreams.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Although I am an early retiree, my quality and quantity of sleep is mixed. While being able to get my coveted afternoon nap 7 days a week is great, it is often disrupted by phone calls, my upstairs neighbor coming home from work and walking around, or my having to go to the bathroom. My regular overnight sleep is nice because I don't have to be up at any certain time. But it, too, is often disrupted by the upstairs neighbor up early and walking around, or my having to go to the bathroom. It is about 50/50 I can get through the night undisturbed.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #5

I'm currently unemployed(not retired) and sleep much better than when i'm working full time. I never set my alarm unless I have plans to be somewhere before noon and involves other people which is very rare. Lately, i've been sleeping from 9pm until around 7-8am. I never sleep straight thru since small bladders run in the family but I sleep well.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I voted #3 and this is the reason why,

I wish there were 30 hours in a day since I never seem to accomplish as much as I would like. I wake up at around 6:00 am every morning (during the week) and make breakfast and lunch for everyone. Afterwords I start my day of chores then onto the home renovations or what ever or who ever needs help repairing stuff. I try to go bed early every night but I usually fall asleep at around 11:30pm since I can't seem to get everything done during the day.

I usually go to the washroom 3 times and night and that makes me loose about 15 minutes sleep each time so I loose 45 minutes each night. If I do the math right I get close to 6 hours sleep a night and that's not enough.

For the most part the quality of sleep is good except for the overactive bladder. I still get the occasional nightmares about work and it's been six years since retirement.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

W2W, I am very jealous of your ability to sleep away the night. I might sleep 7 solid hours without waking, maybe twice a year. I usually have 2 obligatory trips to the restroom a night, but even then sometimes I am just awake. I don't mind laying 2-3 hours in a semi conscious state but would rather be out like a light. The odd thing is, I have no problem falling asleep, and am never tired during the day, so I never nap. I guess I must be getting enough sleep it is just not in the way I desire.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #8

Since I retired I no longer require weekend mid-day naps. Hopefully that will last for quite a few more years. My Mom will sleep at the drop of a hat if she's just watching TV. I answered #1.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron
The only thing that bothers me is I dream a lot about my past. Past jobs, old friends I've haven't seen in years, and so on. Makes me think I'm a bit mired in my past - in my dreams anyway.
I have been retired for a little over a year, and lately I have found myself dreaming about old work colleagues and situations. I did not have these dreams in the early months of my retirement, only more recently. Although I would not characterize these dreams as nightmares, I usually wake suddenly and with an anxious feeling. I'm not sure how to interpret these dreams, but it sounds like others have similar experiences.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I usually sleep very soundly (always have, even when I was still working). It took me a few months to get used to big city noises when we moved to San Francisco, but everything is back to normal now and I sleep soundly again.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am not retired - but I travel a lot with my job and regularly have trouble sleeping in hotels. This is probably not for everyone - but I downloaded an app on my iPhone that I use to put me to sleep..."relax and sleep well". It took a little bit to get used to the guys voice, but now I almost go to sleep automatically.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #12

Since I retired I no longer take naps.

I sleep really well at night and rarely lie awake, going to bed at ~11 and getting up ~7:30.

Retirement has been GREAT for my sleep patterns.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #13

Not retired. Can sleep through helicopters flying over my house, from experience.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

People who have had children know how babies sleep. They wake up every hour or so through the night, and cry. Yes, mine did, particularly my first born. I would lose so much sleep, and fell asleep at my desk the next day.

So, who wants to sleep like a baby?

PS. Look how this daddy calms down his crying baby.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:00 AM   #15

I don't sleep well at all. Four to six hours only on average, sometimes fewer hours for a few nights in a row. It was worse when I was a student. I also have a very light sleep.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #16

Due to my work schedule, I can only begin to sleep after 2 am. And then I can only stay asleep for about 5 hours. But I'm nice and worn out by the time I go to bed, so am out like a light 99 percent of the time, which rarely happened when I was in corporationland. I have a blue collar job now. The 5 hours seems to be enough, along with two 15 minute naps during the day.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #17

My quality of sleep has improved greatly since I got my CPAP. Still wake in the night but when I do get up I feel much more refreshed. I voted # 1.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Hard to choose between the first two options (not much difference) but I chose the first. My sleep hasn't changed since I retired, I still go to bed early and wake up early even with no alarm clock. If anything I wake up in the middle of the night more now than when I was working. But now I can sleep in a little if I want to.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

As long as I go to bed before midnight, usually I'll feel all refreshed by morning.

Sometimes I wake up during the night (no, not from getting old and having to use the bathroom to take a leak ), but I put my cats in the other room and one of them has night terrors and rattles the door and meows like it's the end of the world .
Old 11-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #20

Retired and well rested here. After leaving work my sleep improved substantially, mostly due to more hours. I still wake up early, but not nearly as early as before, and enjoy leisurely mornings drinking coffee and reading.