Poll: On your health insurance

Health insurance currently: None, Group, Individual?

• I do not have health insurance currently, but was NOT denied

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not have health insurance currently, since I was denied coverage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have group insurance from work or elsewhere

Votes: 59 68.6%
  • I have individual with standard premium

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • I have individual with lower rates

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • I have individual with higher rates

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Something else, but I wanted to answer the poll

Votes: 5 5.8%

• Total voters

LOL!

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
M Paquette's thread about an article about toenail fungus prompts this poll on your current health insurance.

The article Applicants dismayed as minor medical conditions lead to insurance denials or big hike in premiums - San Jose Mercury News has this quote:
Nationwide, only a small percentage of people are rejected for coverage, said another insurance industry representative. A 2009 survey of insurers by America's Health Insurance Plans found that they offered coverage to 87 percent of applicants who underwent medical underwriting, said the group's spokesman, Robert Zirkelbach.
Of those offered insurance, 29 percent were quoted standard premiums, 36 percent were at lower rates, and 34 percent were at higher rates, the study found.

So let's see if those stats match the experiences of forum members.

I voted I have individual with standard premium. DW applied at the same time and was offered coverage at a slightly higher premium but with several exclusions. We decided to go with the state high risk pool (2x) standard premium but no exclusions.

Would not medicare/tricare be considered group insurance provided by the government?

I picked the last option, since I live in the "True North Strong and Free" where our major health care is provided by the nanny state. I do have insurance, from former mega-corp, for things like; prescription drugs, private hospital rooms, ambulance etc. Costs me $50/mo. but DW's drug bill makes it worthwhile.

When I see insurance costs listed on this site, I've always wondered what is covered. Is it just basic care or are the extras I listed included.

I voted, have insurance with standard premium. It's a high deductible plan coupled with HSA, I'm a non-smoker and don't have any serious pre-existing conditions that would increase the rate. (I pay about $158/month, with a 5K annual deductible, 5 million dollar lifetime coverage limit).

What does standard higher, lower rate mean?

Group from work.

I am a retired federal employee.

I picked lower rate, it's pretty inexpensive. Individual at $48/month, $2k deductible catastrophic with a $5M limit. May switch to employer insurance later if it is free, then in ER will definitely jump on the subsidized health insurance exchange at $50-$100/month.

Back
Top Bottom