Walking <4 days/week 25 18.25%
Walking >5 days/week 45 32.85%
Yoga or aerobics 16 11.68%
Bicycling 37 27.01%
12 oz curls is my limit! 4 2.92%
None, exercise is for others to do! 6 4.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2015, 10:53 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Whaat? Everyone's a cheapskate and lots of them are curmudgeons. Who wants to date that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
This site is full of well to do folks who are healthy. It should have its own dating site and charge premium.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 11:25 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Water exercise 5 mornings a week and some walking. One to three hours of gardening per day in spring, summer, and fall.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Whaat? Everyone's a cheapskate and lots of them are curmudgeons. Who wants to date that?
You say that like it's a bad thing!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:57 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

------------------------------------------------------

You say that like it's a bad thing!
It must be, or at least it's considered suspicious behavior. I've noticed guys with drinking problems, criminal tendencies, and no money, who like to slap women around seem to have no problem hooking up.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:26 PM   #45
Dryer sheet aficionado

I run 40 to 50 miles per week (over 2000 miles for 2014) and try to do high intensity interval training (like PiYo) 4 to 5 days per week. I've developed a Morton's neuroma, so my mileage will likely suffer in 2015. I bought an Elliptigo in the unfortunate case that my running career is severely hampered or over (sigh).
Old 01-07-2015, 12:36 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Naturally not everyone on the board is a curmudgeon, plus I'm sure relatively few of us are hooker-uppers and slapper-arounders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
It must be, or at least it's considered suspicious behavior. I've noticed guys with drinking problems, criminal tendencies, and no money, who like to slap women around seem to have no problem hooking up.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:55 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - celebrated our 1st wedding anniversary 3 months ago- we both exercised when we met and dated for a year.

Now 18 lbs and 3 inches more waist and the wife ain't talking but we are both getting back to diet, exercise, and walking. Haphazardly and slowly but we both know we must return to some form of yesteryear.

heh heh heh -
Old 01-07-2015, 03:31 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I've got my wife-beater undershirt. Maybe that will get me some action?

Ha
Old 01-07-2015, 03:52 PM   #49

We go to to the gym every other day unless something prevents it, then go the next day, so it is 3 or 4 times a week. We started a bit over a year ago partly inspired by reading Younger Next Year and partly because I could feel the atrophy setting in big time and wanted to reverse that. DW had started twice but was sidetracked by dealing with FIL issues at the time.

No big changes in weight, in fact for the first time in my life I'm having a hard time keeping weight off. But the weights I'm lifting have more than doubled in the last year although I seriously doubt I'll be able to do that this year. One does get to diminishing returns on effort expended and there is an upper limit somewhere.

But I feel much better and of course my doctor is enthused about me staying with the exercise.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:22 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post
- shovel snow
- split logs
- shovel more snow
- push cars out of snow
- shovel even more snow
- split a few more logs
- shovel more snow
- salvage a few dead trees
- shovel more f..ing snow
- split more f..ing logs
Ha..........I swear, you are living my life! I do all that stuff too (plus tending a vegetable garden, mowing a big lawn with a hand mower, etc), but I usually add in some short daily workouts also. I do chin-ups in the morning when I get up (got one of those chin up bars that you put in a doorway). Later in the day, I try do some squats, at least on most days. Every day I take my dog (a yellow lab) out for at least 2 long walk/jogs (up and down the hills around our house). On those, I try to sprint full out for a minute or so, to get my heart rate up to the desired level. Everything I read indicates that it's very beneficial to get the heart rate up to 80% for even a minute or two a day if possible, and sprints are the best way for me to do it.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:32 PM   #51

350 calories burned minimum per day by doing something active. Plus normal walking around, housework, etc.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:47 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I've got my wife-beater undershirt. Maybe that will get me some action?

Ha
Only if you live in New Jersey !
Old 01-08-2015, 10:09 AM   #53

I did my after-work running yesterday, wow did the weather make it hard to stay motivated. Completed my 2 miles, had to convince myself to keep going through the whole time. Right about freezing actual temp, but a very strong 30-40 mph cold wind blowing. My nose and ears were very cold, and other exposed skin on face and neck also felt the chill. At least I got a lot of fresh air! Took me several hours to really warm back up. I am ready for this cold weather to stop!

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

As it stands now I have the 5 days at the gym, weekends are dog walking (~4-5miles/day) and bike riding ~30-50miles. The walking will increase when I retire as should the biking, but the days at the gym might decrease (since it will be much further away that it is when I go at lunch) but the time at the gym could increase since I won't have meetings to get back to ...
Old 01-08-2015, 11:25 AM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am a fifth degree black belt and I work out in class probably 2-3 time a week.. I also work out on my own about once or twice.

I played rugby for about 13 years and lifted a lot back then, do not lift at all now.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:55 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Well, maybe Exercise is good for you. I certainly enjoyed this workout:

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:14 AM   #57

Right now I do one day of push/pull (chest, back, shoulders, arms); one day of arms/shoulders, elastic tubing work and hitting heavy bag; and then leg day which includes weight lifting and sprinting. So thats basically weight training three times a week, and then I get in another day or two of inclined treadmill walking, heavy bag work, ball slams, and elastic tubing. Most workout are 45 min, but never more than 1 hr long. I like to change up my routine about every 12-16 weeks.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:23 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Well, I will not be doing much of anything, as today I fell while exercising and sprained my right wrist. Can't drive. Ow.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:36 PM   #59

Quote:
Well, I will not be doing much of anything, as today I fell while exercising and sprained my right wrist. Can't drive. Ow.
Ouch. Hope it heals soon for you.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I lift weights at the gym on MWF and I am pretty serious about it.

Also I do a variety of light cardio workouts there or at home, now and then, because I know I should.

I don't especially like cardio but I love lifting weights.
+1
Cannot do cardio of any kind because lose weight way too easily. Been lifting weights for four decades. Have never looked better, never felt better.