Bicycling 37 27.01%
12 oz curls is my limit! 4 2.92%
None, exercise is for others to do! 6 4.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Poll:Regular Exercise schedule?
Old 01-06-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Poll:Regular Exercise schedule?

Just curious what everybody does for a regular exercise schedule? Kind of driven by the new year and people making resolutions that typically fail within a few weeks.

So what do you do that has been kept up and consistent basis? Poll allows multiple choices.

I'll start, I go jogging about 2 miles 3x/week. Plus a decent amount of walking around that is not specifically for exercise reasons..

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm.. So if I walk 4 or 5 days of the week there is no option here. Same if I do to gym 3 or 4 days a week.

Also, what if I do something that isn't on here...would suggest having an option for something else....
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
gone traveling

Not the greatest poll setup. I do the nordic track 5x week and usually walk 4-5 miles once a week. I would suggest frequency/intensity of exercise rather than be so specific on the nature of the workout.
Mr. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:06 PM   #4

Started working out at megacorp gym - weights & and treadmilling. The main goal is improve my golf game, and get in better shape.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Answering the poll from atop my indoor trainer that I built a desk for last winter. Now I can do my bicycling indoors when the weather is raw and browse this forum at the same time. I also walk over a hundred rounds of golf each year, but don't consider that as exercise. Golf is something else, entirely.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Walking on non weight-training days, bicycling 1-3 days/wk in decent weather, and weights (machines and 12-16oz curls) 2-3 times/wk...

Was a jogger for about 15 years, but no more.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
I also walk over a hundred rounds of golf each year, but don't consider that as exercise. Golf is something else, entirely.
I used to walk a course 100+ rounds a year. It was a hilly course so I'd call that an exercise. I now ride cart b/c the new home course is not conducive to walking. That is, I can't count it as an exercise.

I exercise to ease my stress from playing poor golf . I will golf one more year and call it quits if it continues to give me hard time. Quitting golf can fund an extra trip or two in my ER.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:31 PM   #8

I don't have a schedule anymore...I'm retired after all! I wake up and do what I feel like.

I walk daily for a couple of miles in good weather (by which I mean not bitterly cold or raining or snowing). This is my favorite means of exercise. Yesterday I went to the gym and did thirty minutes on the elliptical trainer followed by about 20 minutes of free weights. Today I took a 50 minute Aquafit class. Tomorrow I think I will sleep in then do some grocery shopping, and Thursday I am meeting a friend for lunch followed by a movie (probably "Unbroken"). Friday I will likely do a low-impact aerobics class.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
workout schedule
Old 01-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

workout schedule

I jog 4 miles twice a week, swim 1,000 yds twice a week, and play tennis for 1.5 hrs for about 3 times a week. I stretch and do Tai-Chi regularly just about everyday to work out the strains/knotts resulting from the above exercises. Occassionally, I do a 20 miles hike over 10 hours in one of the highest moutain in southern CA.
40Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:17 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I lift weights at the gym on MWF and I am pretty serious about it.

Also I do a variety of light cardio workouts there or at home, now and then, because I know I should.

I don't especially like cardio but I love lifting weights.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Just curious what everybody does for a regular exercise schedule?
As I'm sure you know, members here will quibble over just about anything (and some of us have raised it to a fine art IMHO).
In my case, the problem is with the use of the word "regular."

I get plenty of exercise, but it's far from what I would call regular. Today I feel like doing this, tomorrow that, and the next day maybe nothing.

If I had a regular exercise schedule, I would consider it drudgery more often than not.

But to toss in my two cents anyway, I run usually 40-50 miles a month and do 2-3 half-marathons each year. In the good weather, I hike a lot and go fly fishing as much as possible. Kayaking on occasion. In the winter I ski, usually a couple of one-week sessions in Colorado.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Unless something prevents me (like today...slippery road conditions) I'll do 2 hours, 20 minutes in the gym on alternate days. My usual routine is ~45 minutes of cardio, a full circuit of the Cybex weight machines, and about 30 minutes of yoga and light weights.

Mr. A. does a bit less - just over 2 hours, more cardio, same weight machines, and no yoga or light weights. Then he sits and drinks coffee while waiting for me to finish.

On non-gym days, I wear a pedometer and try to walk at least 5,000 steps.

No electronic fitness devices; we rely on the ancient technologies of scale, mirror, and tape measure

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #13

I like this quote from the Berkeley lab -

Quote:
No other intervention produces the degree or diversity of health benefits as exercise.
The first paragraph (bolded entry) is also worth reading as a great motivator for the new year and beyond -

Williams Lab
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:53 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

What was it Ed McMahon said about having a guy come in twice a week to do that for him. I believe that physical activity that you enjoy will give you every benefit needed for good health -- whether it be golf, hiking, working in the shop, whatever... probably even Bar Hopping (if you show some attempt at temperance). Exercise for exercise sake is foolish... for weight control even more so.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I bicycle ~90 miles/week, jog ~15 miles/week during summer. A bit less during winter.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:09 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I walk/hike about 5 days a week and lift weights 3-4 days a week. Walking/hiking a little less in winter.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:14 PM   #17

Do you think this poll will be self selected for the folks who exercise more? I would think so.

Before retirement I was a complete slug. One of my promises to myself upon retirement was to walk on the beach as often as possible (usually with the dog.) So I do a 2-2.5 mile loop (depending on tide - high tide it's max 2 miles) 4-5 times a week. It's not as aerobic/cardio as some of the stuff others are doing, but I enjoy it and have managed to drop 17 lbs since last June with just this change (and the lack of snacking out of boredom I used to do at work.)

I didn't answer the poll because I walk 4 days a week - and your choices were <4 or >5...
Old 01-06-2015, 05:14 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I used to walk a course 100+ rounds a year. It was a hilly course so I'd call that an exercise. I now ride cart b/c the new home course is not conducive to walking. That is, I can't count it as an exercise.

I exercise to ease my stress from playing poor golf . I will golf one more year and call it quits if it continues to give me hard time. Quitting golf can fund an extra trip or two in my ER.
Oh, I agree with you, walking the course IS exercise. I just don't count it because I really only keep track of my aerobic activities. Although we have a few hills on the course, I really don't get the heart rate too elevated climbing any of them.

I know what you mean about the frustrations of bad golf. I finally broke down and decided to take a series of lessons this off-season. It is somewhat sad how much my enjoyment of the game decreases when the handicap is around 10 as opposed to around 5. This year will be different!
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #19

play golf 4-5 times a week. Always walk and carry my bag. Play Pickleball twice a week for two hours.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #20

I have not been doing any exercise lately. We joined Planet Fitness in Dec and have exercised once. We watch our grandkids twice a week, while their parents go to exercise. We use all kinds of excuses. First we had remodeling going on, so we stayed home with the contractors. Next, we had to move back into the remodeled top of our house. Then we had to unpack boxes and try to figure out where everything was going to go. Then it got cold out and today it snowed. I work 3 days a week and I am tired after work. On my days off, I run errands, dentist, doctor and I deserve to have a day off. See what I mean about my excuses---they go on and on. Long story short, I am just too lazy right now. (I went to the doctor today for appt before the colonoscopy and I have gained 3 lbs in the last 6 months. I need to get on the ball.)
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote