Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What Dental Floss Do You Use?
Dental Floss? What's that? 13 10.24%
What ever is cheapest 10 7.87%
Oral B or Glide for tight spaces 43 33.86%
Store brand - CVS, Walmart, etc 20 15.75%
A combination of various brands 20 15.75%
Other 21 16.54%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Naples
Posts: 2,161
You know, I always hated flossing until they came out with the "floss picks", the little handles with the floss built right in. Wife got me started on these as she is a big believer in flossing. I've tried a number of them and found the best is Plackers-Micro Mint from Wal Mart. I just looked and there are 150 in a pack for about $3. If I had to use the string floss I probably wouldn't floss at all. Watching TV at night I'll pick one up and go to work.
__________________

__________________
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The gap between my implant and surrounding teeth are a bit tight
I have 32 tight teeth and nine fillings with sharp edges. I shred most floss within the first 15% of the job.

Nearly four years ago TromboneAl recommended Hi-tech waxed floss:
Dental floss in bulk

It's been the only floss in my life that survives the whole job.

It's been getting hard to find (maybe I need to make another trip to Long's) but it's been stocked at our local Navy Exchange.

I really hate when the dentist sticks the probe down behind the gum and starts calling out numbers bigger than "2". Mine claims that if I floss every day then I'll start hearing him call out smaller numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So, he gives me a shopping bag full of free dental floss samples every time I see him. He tries to give me "the good stuff" out of whatever samples he has, and while they differ from time to time I like whatever brands he has given me. I haven't had to pay for dental floss in over a dozen years.
I hear people talk like this about their stockbrokers and financial advisors! How much money do you spend there every year? Has he shown you his other customer's yachts yet?

Just kidding. I hope.
__________________

__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #23
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I hear people talk like this about their stockbrokers and financial advisors! How much money do you spend there every year? Has he shown you his other customer's yachts yet?

Just kidding. I hope.
Well, he isn't cheap! And I have had considerable dental work.... so maybe you are on the right track.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
imoldernu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Peru
Posts: 4,616
funny subject

Never paid any attention to brands... crochet thread would probably be the cheapest, I guess...
Now, a step further... have always tied a double knot in the center of the thread, to pull through the wider spaces at the gum line.
A bit off topic, but food for thought... after years of spending today's equivalent of $70 for cleaning, found a good set of dental tools for scraping/picking, and did my own cleaning. In the beginning, used a mirror, but now can do most of it by feel. Yeah... am that cheap! And, haircuts too... total cost over 58 years... four Wahl clippers. Hmmm... @ $15/cut (including travel cost and tip) once a month... = 12X15X58 or $10,440.

Frugal? Uh huh!... Now... colonoscopies.... Lessee... one every 3 years @ $1700 = ..............
__________________
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Largo
Posts: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
J&J. I tried a couple of the generic ones, but they shredded and/or caught on my teeth! My dentist told me not to use Glide or its equivalent unless I flossed each tooth about 6 times. It appears the brand is too slippery and doesn't take off the plaque as well as the non-Glide/equivalent brands.
My gums had the worst check-up ever when I used Glide (given to me by the dentist) between 6 month cleanings. The hygenist wanted to do some sort of procedure because of my gum condition but I told her that wasn't going to happen. We agreed I would go back to my old Reach dental floss and swish with Listerine everyday for the next 6 months. Everything was perfect at the next check-up. Glide was very, very bad for me because it was too slippery.
__________________
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Largo
Posts: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
funny subject

Never paid any attention to brands... crochet thread would probably be the cheapest, I guess...
Now, a step further... have always tied a double knot in the center of the thread, to pull through the wider spaces at the gum line.
A bit off topic, but food for thought... after years of spending today's equivalent of $70 for cleaning, found a good set of dental tools for scraping/picking, and did my own cleaning. In the beginning, used a mirror, but now can do most of it by feel. Yeah... am that cheap! And, haircuts too... total cost over 58 years... four Wahl clippers. Hmmm... @ $15/cut (including travel cost and tip) once a month... = 12X15X58 or $10,440.

Frugal? Uh huh!... Now... colonoscopies.... Lessee... one every 3 years @ $1700 = ..............
Where did you get the dental tools?
__________________
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Largo
Posts: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
You know, I always hated flossing until they came out with the "floss picks", the little handles with the floss built right in. Wife got me started on these as she is a big believer in flossing. I've tried a number of them and found the best is Plackers-Micro Mint from Wal Mart. I just looked and there are 150 in a pack for about $3. If I had to use the string floss I probably wouldn't floss at all. Watching TV at night I'll pick one up and go to work.
+1
My mom got my sister and I flossing as kids. I've gotten hooked on the floss picks over the last 2 years.
__________________
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Largo
Posts: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Walmart Equate waxed. I think it's $.88.

I used to think flossing was gross, it made me gag and was an extra thing to do in the morning. Then I had some bleeding during a dental cleaning and got referred to a periodontist and saw the light!

I made myself get past the gagging and gross factor and I am now a devoted flosser. I also treated myself to a Sonicare toothbrush (found a bargain on Amazon or eBay) and between the flossing and the Sonicare my teeth and gums are stunning. My dental cleanings are quick and easy.

The Sonicare brushes are expensive but Amazon has them for a good price if you get a subscription. I extended the subscription time because I didn't need another shipment so there was no extra cost.
I had my best check-ups combining floss with a Sonicare but I had to switch to an Oral B because the Sonicare kepts vibrating off my crowns. Dentists thought I was crazy when I asked them if they had other patients who used a Sonicare and had crowns coming off. All I know is that the issues with crowns falling off ended when I stopped using my Sonicare. I miss it but it was too expensive to use it!
__________________
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
You know, I always hated flossing until they came out with the "floss picks", the little handles with the floss built right in. Wife got me started on these as she is a big believer in flossing. I've tried a number of them and found the best is Plackers-Micro Mint from Wal Mart. I just looked and there are 150 in a pack for about $3. If I had to use the string floss I probably wouldn't floss at all. Watching TV at night I'll pick one up and go to work.
For me, I have the opposite situation. I started flossing with the regular string floss. A couple of checkups ago, the dental assistant said the teeth at the far back weren't flossed enough and recommended the the Reach ones that look like a tootbrush but with a floss head that snaps on/off instead of brush.

I tried using one of those for a few weeks. But at my next visit, I told the assistant I tried, but the Reach flosser would get stuck all the time (true, I wasn't fibbing). She just said "OK..no problem." Which makes we wonder if that's a common occurance.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Walmart Equate waxed. I think it's $.88.

I used to think flossing was gross, it made me gag and was an extra thing to do in the morning. Then I had some bleeding during a dental cleaning and got referred to a periodontist and saw the light!

I made myself get past the gagging and gross factor and I am now a devoted flosser. I also treated myself to a Sonicare toothbrush (found a bargain on Amazon or eBay) and between the flossing and the Sonicare my teeth and gums are stunning. My dental cleanings are quick and easy.

The Sonicare brushes are expensive but Amazon has them for a good price if you get a subscription. I extended the subscription time because I didn't need another shipment so there was no extra cost.
I know what you feel about the inital gross factor when starting to floss. But after a few tries, when the gums feel better, breath is better..that's when I became a convert. I think that's the moment of truth for many. Either they think, yeah, flossing isn't so bad, or that it's gross and for the birds.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,669
I think I solved the problem by 3 cleanings a year.
__________________
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #32
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 3,851
Kite string. Cheap and multi-use ...
__________________
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I voted "other". My dentist is incredibly cool, really really wants me to floss regularly, and has figured out what a cheapskate I am. Plus, he likes me because I was his first patient after dental school. So, he gives me a shopping bag full of free dental floss samples every time I see him. He tries to give me "the good stuff" out of whatever samples he has, and while they differ from time to time I like whatever brands he has given me. I haven't had to pay for dental floss in over a dozen years.

This is not directed at you, but I would guess that spending the $3 per year or so on decent floss would likely have a huge return on investment considering the alternative of costly dental/periodontal treatments.
__________________
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (5, 11, and 12).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #34
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
This is not directed at you, but I would guess that spending the $3 per year or so on decent floss would likely have a huge return on investment considering the alternative of costly dental/periodontal treatments.
So, you are saying that there is something wrong with the dental floss my dentist gives me and that I have used regularly for the past dozen or more years? Why is that?

He gives me free toothpaste, too, but not as much because I raved about his floss and how great it is. He does come up with some terrific free samples.

By all means, if refusing free samples somehow makes anyone feel more responsible, they should go ahead and buy floss.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado
WyndChym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I know, kind of a personal question.

Here's my history and situation. I started flossing many years ago. The first brand I used was Johnson & Johnson. Then when off to college on a college budget, I just got the cheapest one by the yard.

Fast forward to the present. I was still getting the cheapest by the yard, but my dental implant could change everything . The gap between my implant and surrounding teeth are a bit tight, so for that area I'm leaning towards Oral-B Satin (which my dentist gives out after each cleaning) or Crest Glide (I believe actually made by Oral -B).
DH and I find that Butler (G.U.M) Fine Unwaxed Floss works well between tight teeth and dental work. We had the dentist and hygienist LingOL when we told them we bought 4800 yards online for $.012/yard!
__________________
WyndChym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyndChym View Post
DH and I find that Butler (G.U.M) Fine Unwaxed Floss works well between tight teeth and dental work. We had the dentist and hygienist LingOL when we told them we bought 4800 yards online for $.012/yard!
I see you just couldn't pass up a good bargain .

I went ahead and bought 5 more packets (54.7 yds each pack) of the CVS one that I like. If I calculated correctly, it's about $.045/yard. Not bad for the good stuff .
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyndChym View Post
DH and I find that Butler (G.U.M) Fine Unwaxed Floss works well between tight teeth and dental work. We had the dentist and hygienist LingOL when we told them we bought 4800 yards online for $.012/yard!
Link please Ms G uses like 5 yds a day.
__________________
For me experiences are not good or bad, just different
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #38
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Link please Ms G uses like 5 yds a day.
Why? To tie you up?
__________________
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Why? To tie you up?
No she uses the dog collar and leash for that.
__________________
For me experiences are not good or bad, just different
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So, you are saying that there is something wrong with the dental floss my dentist gives me and that I have used regularly for the past dozen or more years? Why is that?

He gives me free toothpaste, too, but not as much because I raved about his floss and how great it is. He does come up with some terrific free samples.

By all means, if refusing free samples somehow makes anyone feel more responsible, they should go ahead and buy floss.
No, no not at all!

The comment wasn't directed at you or your choice to use free floss. I meant (assuming your didn't have an endless supply of free floss), it would be penny wise but pound foolish to refrain from flossing in order to save the $3 a year that floss costs. Given that an annual course of periodontal maintenance runs in the hundreds of dollars! Although DW flosses, she is undergoing this treatment now and lack of flossing is something that can lead to gum issues.

By all means, getting good free floss and using it is not being a cheapskate. We always use the free toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, and mouthwash the dentist provides.

On a different note, we have found that the cheapo AIM brand toothpaste ($0.85 for a 6 oz tube at walmart) seems to do a better job than the Crest Pro Health stuff that is 3-4x as expensive. Something about the Pro Health seems to be overly abrasive on our teeth, leaving them overly sensitive (and leads to buying Sensodyne to deal with sensitivity). So we use the cheap stuff now. Teeth still feel as clean, and I seem to have less tooth decay now (anecdotally speaking of course).
__________________

__________________
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (5, 11, and 12).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:40 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.