Votes: 43 33.9%
  • Store brand - CVS, Walmart, etc

Votes: 20 15.7%
  • A combination of various brands

Votes: 20 15.7%
  • Other

Votes: 21 16.5%

• Total voters
I get cleaning and exams every 4 months. I tried every six months but that just wasn't frequent enough. My gums definitely feel the difference having that one extra time each year.

I buy the cheapest waxed dental floss in the aisle. The unwaxed floss frequently tears for me.

Can't remember the brand for sure (I think it is Philips), but we use an air/mist flosser that we got at Costco. Expensive at about $129 for a set of two, but they do the job better than floss most of the time. If there is still anything stuck in there, we have the tiny little brushes that go between the teeth. Dentists says that our gums look the best they have in years with this doo-hickey, and they feel much better as well. I had a spot that had a pretty bad pocket and was often sore and would bleed every time I ate meat. Whatever it was, it is better now. No soreness, no bleeding. The floss wouldn't reach that spot, but the jet of air/mist seems to get in there very well.

R

Tried a lot of brands and definitely sticking with Oral B waxed dental floss.

I use Oral B Essential - it's thin (but not a tape/ribbon), waxed, mint and it's typically priced at $0.99 for a 50meter roll. I find it's nearly as inexpensive as store-brand/off-brand floss.

I'm pretty picky about my floss - lots of tight spots to work into between teeth and some pretty large pockets due to gums receeding. I find tape/ribbon does not work as well as "string style" floss so it's hands down Oral B Essential for me.

As I said it's $0.99 for a roll - and the packaging is very small since the floss is relatively thin. Most big box stores carry it as well as most drug stores although the big box stores almost alway have the $0.99 price and it's hit or miss with the drug stores.

Click Here for a link to the Oral B web site page for Essential floss. (I'm not a salesman - just wanted you to see the small package size)

Last edited:
I use one of the Reach ones that look like a toot brush. It is the only kind of floss that I have been able to stick with for more than a few days at a time. Since discovering this little jewel, I floss nightly.

For anyone else that uses these, am I the only one that is too cheap/lazy/thrifty to replace the floss after each use as instructed? Heck, I didn't even know I was supposed to for the first few years I used this instrument. It looked like a toothbrush; so, I treated it like one: Replaced business end when it started to look a bit frayed.

Before I found this, flossing was a bit like meditation for me: I knew it was good for me, always felt better after doing it, but just couldn't stick with the practice daily.

Reviving this thread as today, my heart is put in panic mode after finding that my favorite dental floss (CVS Advanced Fiber) is no longer made. After the initial shock I counted the rest of my stash and only have a dozen packages left. I knew I should have really really stocked up when I had the chance! :mad:

I just bought a 6 pack of Glide at Costco last week. Its the only kind I can use without it breaking. Don't know if it is competitive price wise. You might be able to find it on Costco's web site if you are not a member.

I just bought a 6 pack of Glide at Costco last week. Its the only kind I can use without it breaking. Don't know if it is competitive price wise. You might be able to find it on Costco's web site if you are not a member.

Glide is the free sample my dentist gives me after each cleaning. I think Glide is probably considered the best brand and CVS went ahead and changed their advanced fiber style to imitate Glide. At least that's what I read on reviews (of disappointed users) at CVS' site. Why did CVS kill such a good product? :mad:

I have a tooth implant that every time after eating, food get caught in a gap between the implant and another tooth. Cheap floss misses the trapped food. Glide works, but may take a try or two. CVS Advanced works so well.

Doing some homework :), Walgreens has one called "Walgreens Hi-Tech Dental Floss" with good reviews. I'm gonna have to buy a pack to try out. Hopefully, Hi-Tech is a copy of what CVS had.

You can also save used dental floss and weave it into dryer sheets, I understand.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Oral B Essential Floss waxed - been using that for many years. I have caps done on 2 teeth and this floss works well in between gaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

DentoTape. The really wide tape. Jerry Seinfeld turned me on to the stuff.

Thanks for reviving this thread. I had a deep cleaning this summer but am still struggling with pockets although I floss every day and get my teeth cleaned every four months. Reading this thread, my problem may be that I use Oral B Satin or Glide and these flosses are not adequately removing the plaque. I googled and confirmed that this is a problem with those slippery flosses. And yes, my dentist also gives me free samples of Glide and has never asked me what type of floss I use. As I have tight teeth, I may have to use unwaxed floss or find a waxed floss made for tight teeth.

Okay. So, I've been doing some more floss reading. One article, by a dentist says the best kind of floss is "The one that you will use." In other words, personal preference. If you find one you like, then there's more likelihood that you'd floss and not skip.

I went ahead and bought 2 packs (buy 1 get one 50% off) of the CVS replacement of that one that I loved. Just to try out and see for me thumbs up or thumbs down. Then I tried to buy the Walgreens Hi-Tech Floss but after going to two Walgreens, they were nowhere to be found. With further reading, looks like "Hi Tech" floss is newer floss, that works well for tight teeth and the floss doesn't shred. Plus, a stores besides Walgreens, such as Kroger or Meijer carry their own. The next time I stop by Meijer, I'm gonna have to pick up a pack to try.

Update: Tested out the newer CVS floss which goes by "CVS EaseBetween Original Dental Floss, Fresh Mint". Initially, I thought, this is almost like the old stuff. Feels pretty close, but later noticed, that this does have some shredding whereas the old did not. I'm still searching for a decent replacement :). I'll have to try out that Hi Tech from Meijer.

Last edited:
I must have missed this thread when it originally was posted. Having read it, I am actually astonished that no one uses a water flosser. At my dentist's strong recommendation, I use a WaterPik.

Thanks for reviving this thread. I had a deep cleaning this summer but am still struggling with pockets although I floss every day and get my teeth cleaned every four months. Reading this thread, my problem may be that I use Oral B Satin or Glide and these flosses are not adequately removing the plaque. I googled and confirmed that this is a problem with those slippery flosses. And yes, my dentist also gives me free samples of Glide and has never asked me what type of floss I use. As I have tight teeth, I may have to use unwaxed floss or find a waxed floss made for tight teeth.

I build up plaque very easily. What my dentist recommend is that I use a water flosser. I have a WaterPik. You may find it will work for well for you.

I don't floss (What??) but I use Doctor's brush picks. My dentist and the hygienist said my teeth were good and I can keep on using them, so I do. Flossing is a bit more messy and violent.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I'm using the Reach Access flosser. It's not early-retirement friendly at 15 to 20 cents per floss, but it's very convenient and I hate wrapping floss around my fingers.

I went ahead a picked up a couple packs of Meijer Hi Tech dental floss today. The moment of truth came after dinner. I'd grade this an "A" as for ability to get debris out and comfort. So, my ratings go like:

CVS Advanced Fiber (no longer made): A++ (debris removal), A++ (comfort), A++ overall

Meijer Hi Tech : A (debris removal), A (comfort), A overall

Glide: B + (debris removal), A (comfort), A - overall

CVS Ease Between (replaced CVS Advanced Fiber): C - (debris removal), C + (comfort), C: overall

* comfort defined both by how the floss feels between the teeth than grip and feel around fingers.

As you can tell, I've given this a lot of thought :).

Last edited:
I use Plackers ultra-thin microflossers. I am careful as I pull it out so I don't pull out my fillings or crowns. I just can't get my hands in there with regular floss. Some of my fillings and crowns are very close together and regular floss is too thick. I also use a Waterpik afterwards followed by my Emmident ultrasonic toothbrush.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I ordered a pack of Johnson & Johnson Reach Floss, Total Care to test out. It has positive reviews. I'm still looking for that floss replacement of my favorite so I stock up big time.

A New Player In Town

Just had a chance to try "Johnson & Johnson Reach Floss, Total Care, Mint".

This is a direct competitor to Glide as it is marketed as like Glide but easier to grip. This is pretty good stuff. I think it does even a better job at getting particles out than Glide. MY teeth feel really clean now. But like Glide this floss does have a tendency to get wet, but doesn't slip off the fingers. This is definitely the loudest floss I've used. Sounds almost as loud as someone cracking their knuckles (no kidding).

My floss grade :):

A++ on debris removal, B - on comfort, A+ overall

Back
Top Bottom