Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What Dental Floss Do You Use?
Dental Floss? What's that? 13 10.24%
What ever is cheapest 10 7.87%
Oral B or Glide for tight spaces 43 33.86%
Store brand - CVS, Walmart, etc 20 15.75%
A combination of various brands 20 15.75%
Other 21 16.54%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Link please Ms G uses like 5 yds a day.
Ok...now you got me thinking....

If the average person flosses once a day and uses 2 ft of floss each time, theneach year that'll be:

2 ft x 365 days = 730 ft

or 730 ft / 3 = 243.33 yards

Now, what's left is to calcuate how many packs of floss to purchase depending on how many years I want to stock up on .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ms G also uses 1/2 roll of TP, but that's another post gone wild.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #43

I use the store brand of the Glide, ribbon type stuff. I've come to like the one use flossers with the ribbon type thread.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

A song for every occasion! Who wouldda thunk songwriters leave no stone unturned in looking for topics? I am floored.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #46

45 posts (plus this one) on "which dental floss we use"??!

Do we all have a bit too much free time?!
Old 08-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #47
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Link please Ms G uses like 5 yds a day.
LOL! DH says I am like that with tp.

We bought the floss a couple years ago at the link below. We paid in USD. They've definitely raised the minimum order needed for free shipping since then.

Search | Feelbest

Did not see your post below until after I already posted this one. LOL!

“Ms G also uses 1/2 roll of TP, but that's another post gone wild.”
Old 08-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #48

Hmmm, now I might have to try a new floss when our supply of Oral B Ultra runs out

http://www.gumbrand.com/dental-floss/

Had no idea that GUM had so many kinds of floss - our stores here stock only one or two if any.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think I solved the problem by 3 cleanings a year.
Ditto...I schedule 4 cleanings a year, and usually only make 3 of them. I had periodontal issues back in the 80s and need more frequent cleanings as part of a preventive maintenance approach. Along with Xrays and the occasional filling replacement or cracked tooth rebuild, I definitely get my money's worth out of my Delta Dental insurance premiums.
The tendinitis in my hands makes it difficult for me to grasp and maneuver floss. So I keep a supply of thin wooden toothpicks in my purse. I clean my teeth completely after any food is eaten, between the teeth and very gently along the gumline.
I follow up with a flossing every week with the pre-strung floss thingies with the handle. I use Crest Complete Health rinse at least 3x a day.
My dental hygienist tells me that my routine is w*rking out along with the frequent cleanings.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Just had my biannual cleaning last week. The hygienist said that all dental flosses are pretty much the same. And the dentist said that I had the best looking gums he's seen all year. :-)(((blushing)))
Old 08-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I get cleaning and exams every 4 months. I tried every six months but that just wasn't frequent enough. My gums definitely feel the difference having that one extra time each year.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Dental tape, waxed, UNflavored.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #53

I use POH unwaxed (hard to find, but great for close-spaced teeth as it is very thin and strong).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #54

I buy the cheapest waxed dental floss in the aisle. The unwaxed floss frequently tears for me.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #55

Can't remember the brand for sure (I think it is Philips), but we use an air/mist flosser that we got at Costco. Expensive at about $129 for a set of two, but they do the job better than floss most of the time. If there is still anything stuck in there, we have the tiny little brushes that go between the teeth. Dentists says that our gums look the best they have in years with this doo-hickey, and they feel much better as well. I had a spot that had a pretty bad pocket and was often sore and would bleed every time I ate meat. Whatever it was, it is better now. No soreness, no bleeding. The floss wouldn't reach that spot, but the jet of air/mist seems to get in there very well.

R
Old 10-04-2012, 04:02 AM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tried a lot of brands and definitely sticking with Oral B waxed dental floss.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Oral B Essential - it's thin (but not a tape/ribbon), waxed, mint and it's typically priced at $0.99 for a 50meter roll. I find it's nearly as inexpensive as store-brand/off-brand floss.

I'm pretty picky about my floss - lots of tight spots to work into between teeth and some pretty large pockets due to gums receeding. I find tape/ribbon does not work as well as "string style" floss so it's hands down Oral B Essential for me.

As I said it's $0.99 for a roll - and the packaging is very small since the floss is relatively thin. Most big box stores carry it as well as most drug stores although the big box stores almost alway have the $0.99 price and it's hit or miss with the drug stores.

Click Here for a link to the Oral B web site page for Essential floss. (I'm not a salesman - just wanted you to see the small package size)
Old 10-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use one of the Reach ones that look like a toot brush. It is the only kind of floss that I have been able to stick with for more than a few days at a time. Since discovering this little jewel, I floss nightly.

For anyone else that uses these, am I the only one that is too cheap/lazy/thrifty to replace the floss after each use as instructed? Heck, I didn't even know I was supposed to for the first few years I used this instrument. It looked like a toothbrush; so, I treated it like one: Replaced business end when it started to look a bit frayed.

Before I found this, flossing was a bit like meditation for me: I knew it was good for me, always felt better after doing it, but just couldn't stick with the practice daily.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:00 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Reviving this thread as today, my heart is put in panic mode after finding that my favorite dental floss (CVS Advanced Fiber) is no longer made. After the initial shock I counted the rest of my stash and only have a dozen packages left. I knew I should have really really stocked up when I had the chance!
Old 12-15-2015, 06:16 PM   #60

I just bought a 6 pack of Glide at Costco last week. Its the only kind I can use without it breaking. Don't know if it is competitive price wise. You might be able to find it on Costco's web site if you are not a member.