Votes: 35 25.7%
  • 2-3 blades ie, Mach 2, Track 2

Votes: 55 40.4%
  • 1 blade ie, classic double edge

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • Mostly electric razor

Votes: 35 25.7%

• Total voters
I use this (so I couldn't vote in your poll). I have seven of them and use a different one every day. This is the only new one I have; the rest are antiques I got off ebay. I periodically hone them myself with a Belgian coticule.

Attachments

• dovo razor.jpg
    dovo razor.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Gillette Mach 3 for me...been using them for years...pretty much daily since I was in the military. I also figured out that by simply drying them off, they would last two months or longer.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

I use this (so I couldn't vote in your poll). I have seven of them and use a different one every day.
I assumed straight razor users would fall in the single blade category no?

Gillette Mach 3. Change the blade on the last day of the month, like clockwork. Buy the blades at Costco. First handle lasted over a decade, on second handle now. I find the 4 and 5 (and 6 and 7 and 8 and 9 and 10) blade trend to be akin to obsessing over whether one's FIREcalc results are 97 or 98 or 99 or 100%: Just polishing the cannonball. :)

I assumed straight razor users would fall in the single blade category no?

In "1 blade, i.e. classic double edge", i.e. means id est or "that is". Thus reading "1 blade, that is classic double edge", and thereby defining single blade as a classic double edge and nothing else. If it had been e.g., meaning exempli gratia or "example given", then a classic double edge is only one of the razors that could be called 1 blade.

i.e. and e.g. Usage Cheat Sheet - wikiHow

Last edited:
I just buy the blades- the usual double- or triple-blade, generic version, and I've got steady enough hands that I shave with the blade only

I do the same, no handle! It's also much easier when traveling.

I don't buy generic though - when I went to three blades I finally got a decent shave and haven't found significantly cheaper ones (vs. mach 3 bought on discount). Cheap throwaways just hurt, take long, and give a bad result with lots of injuries. Of course, I just might be doing it wrong.

Still, +/- 2 USD per blade is kind of expensive, and my blades dull quite quickly Basically every week I should replace, even though I try to aim more for the 1x month regime.

So I'll keep an eye on the tips here, see if I can improve.

Much like NanoSour, I agree that the 5-blade razors are really the best. I shave only once or twice a week.

Fusion to me is a great blade and shaving system. Gillette sends out razor handles and blades as advertising gimmicks in our ZIP code. It turns out they send out to all graduating male seniors. So I use a Gillette Fusion.

Recently my wife bought more blades, but got the Mach 3 blades, so I switched back to my old Mach 3 handle. There is ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT that Mach 3 is worse than the Fusion system. The 5-blade Fusion setup is designed to stretch one's skin better just before the blades cut the whiskers much better than other razors including the Mach 3. So shaving is not just the blade, but how the skin is presented to the blades. One has to make sure to use those stretching features of the Fusion blade to get the best shave. One does this by the angle and the pressure. I can use much more pressure with Fusion and have no chance of cutting my skin.

As for old-fashioned razors, I think that's just hipster nostalgia talk and folks stretching out their skin with their other hand.

In my Gym kit a few weeks ago switched to one of my old Army days double edge razor. It even has adjustable blade angle. Works as well as I remembered.

I wonder what would be the reaction if I used my straight razor in the Y. One day I'll try it.

If you really want to go LBYM, you could try to abstain from shaving and go for the duck dynasty look. I don't pay too much attention to what I am using, but think its a Fusion, not sure how many blades it has 3-4?? I also try to limit my shaving to 3 times/week since I retired.

In "1 blade, i.e. classic double edge" i.e. means ibid est or "that is". Thus reading, "1 blade, that is classic double edge" and thereby defining single blade as a classic double edge and nothing else. If it had been e.g., meaning exempli gratia or "example given" then a classic double edge is only one of the razors that could be called 1 blade.

i.e. and e.g. Usage Cheat Sheet - wikiHow
Guess I should have used e.g. (thanks for the correction) so I guess the poll was hopelessly misguided. Maybe a Mod or Admin could replace the i.e.'s with e.g.'s?

Last edited:
Too often an overly dull disposable razor.

LBYM or Just plain lazy?!

As one gets REAL old, hairs grow quickly... not on the top of the head, but the eyebrows, ears... OMG a half inch in three days... and in the nose.

Why not just have some fun with it?

Attachments

• ear-nose-hair-grooming-turnoffs.jpg
    ear-nose-hair-grooming-turnoffs.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 9
I buy the 52 pack of Gillette disposable, double blade, swivel head from Bj's wholesale club for $23.99. I use 1 razor per week and then throw it out. Less than .50 cents a week!

Mike

Razors are cheap enough that we, as a couple, gravitate toward the new and (hopefully) improved. Now, I've read a lot of grousing on Internet shaving sites about the terrible high cost of razors. I'm not buying it (no pun intended).

Men's faces are so small in terms of shaving "real estate," compared with a pair of long female legs that must be shaved every other day to be presentable at the gym...and what with fronts and backs of calves, knees, thighs, and "bikini" area, present so many more opportunities than a face does for cuts and nicks. Even so, if I thoroughly clean my razor and dry it immediately, it lasts for weeks.

That said, five-bladed Gillette Fusion (cartridges bought in quantity at the box store) works best for my legs and Mr. A's whiskers. Lately, I've been using a Dorco 6-blade "lady" razor with a flexible head, which is far more comfortable, but doesn't shave as close as the Fusion. I also bought "man's" 6-blade razors from Dorco for Mr. A., which don't have the flexing head. He doesn't think they work any better than the Fusion. I plan to test them next.

Amethyst

Which parts of the body are being shaved? ;)
Oh, give me the strength not to answer that literally....:cool:

Legs...during winter, a simpler battery powered shaver bought from the drugstore for a quick "no water involved" touchup. For the real deal in summertime for wearing sundresses, I use a Mach 3 and Colgate brand shaving cream.

I am happily finding that my leg hair is getting less coarse in my mid 50s. I'm half Greek and trust me, it is a real bonus for the jungle to be fading back a bit. :D

Remington electric about 12 years old. Once in a while I buy a blade and foil replacement kit. It's served me well over the years. For travel, I have the small, battery operated version of the same.

I use a five blade. I learned from Clark Howard that keeping the blades dry is the key to longevity so I tried that and get 9 months/blade. Who knew:confused:

That makes it pretty cheap, even with the cost of those blades.

Oh, that it would work the same way for Irish hirsutery. My head hair may be dyed brunette these days, but the leg hair is as dark and thick as ever.

I got fed up a very long time ago with having to tread delicately around the matter of female shaving. Isn't it just like society, to insist that women aren't feminine if our legs are left with their natural hair on, and then try to keep us from talking about it, while men are permitted to discuss their nasty old beards to their heart's content. :LOL:

Amethyst

Oh, give me the strength not to answer that literally....:cool:

Legs...during winter, a simpler battery powered shaver bought from the drugstore for a quick "no water involved" touchup. For the real deal in summertime for wearing sundresses, I use a Mach 3 and Colgate brand shaving cream.

I am happily finding that my leg hair is getting less coarse in my mid 50s. I'm half Greek and trust me, it is a real bonus for the jungle to be fading back a bit. :D

Oh, that it would work the same way for Irish hirsutery. My head hair may be dyed brunette these days, but the leg hair is as dark and thick as ever.

I got fed up a very long time ago with having to tread delicately around the matter of female shaving. Isn't it just like society, to insist that women aren't feminine if our legs are left with their natural hair on, and then try to keep us from talking about it, while men are permitted to discuss their nasty old beards to their heart's content. :LOL:

Amethyst
I shave my legs when I feel like it. During summer, I conform and do them more often. But it's not as if I cannot leave the house if I don't.

If nobody wants to look at my hairy legs, no problem. :D

Both hubby and I use mach 3.
My local costco stopped carrying the cartridges a while back - so I ordered a mega-pack off amazon.
I'm finding I shave less in retirement....
Definitely more area to be shaved for women - and more delicate area... I hear men growse about knicks on their face - but I'd warrant that a knick in the armpit or back of the knee is more painful!

I don't think I could go back to a single blade since I used to butcher myself with those.

.. I hear men growse about knicks on their face - but I'd warrant that a knick in the armpit or back of the knee is more painful!

Yeah, I could see where having a knick in the armpit would be painful.
And having one on a guy's face...well...I'm leaving that one alone.
The back of the knee is a whole other story...I'm leaving that one alone as well.
knicks-v-miami-heat.jpg
Knicks guard Iman Shumpert tweaks his ankle on Sunday night.

Last edited:
I still have a full head of hair, so no need to explore options there. Apparently they make specialized razors for that task. The Bic comfort three series is cheap and works great on my face - I spend less than $10/yr on shaving.
Bodybuilders have the toughest shave - everything below the scalp. I wonder what they use. And on the subject being danced around - fashions change, along with the prevalence of tattoos and body piercings has come expanded shaving territory.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom