Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What type razor do you use primarily?
4-5 blades ie, Fusion, Quattro 35 25.74%
2-3 blades ie, Mach 2, Track 2 55 40.44%
1 blade ie, classic double edge 11 8.09%
Mostly electric razor 35 25.74%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Razors are cheap enough that we, as a couple, gravitate toward the new and (hopefully) improved. Now, I've read a lot of grousing on Internet shaving sites about the terrible high cost of razors. I'm not buying it (no pun intended).

Men's faces are so small in terms of shaving "real estate," compared with a pair of long female legs that must be shaved every other day to be presentable at the gym...and what with fronts and backs of calves, knees, thighs, and "bikini" area, present so many more opportunities than a face does for cuts and nicks. Even so, if I thoroughly clean my razor and dry it immediately, it lasts for weeks.

That said, five-bladed Gillette Fusion (cartridges bought in quantity at the box store) works best for my legs and Mr. A's whiskers. Lately, I've been using a Dorco 6-blade "lady" razor with a flexible head, which is far more comfortable, but doesn't shave as close as the Fusion. I also bought "man's" 6-blade razors from Dorco for Mr. A., which don't have the flexing head. He doesn't think they work any better than the Fusion. I plan to test them next.

Amethyst

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Which parts of the body are being shaved?
Oh, give me the strength not to answer that literally....

Legs...during winter, a simpler battery powered shaver bought from the drugstore for a quick "no water involved" touchup. For the real deal in summertime for wearing sundresses, I use a Mach 3 and Colgate brand shaving cream.

I am happily finding that my leg hair is getting less coarse in my mid 50s. I'm half Greek and trust me, it is a real bonus for the jungle to be fading back a bit.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Remington electric about 12 years old. Once in a while I buy a blade and foil replacement kit. It's served me well over the years. For travel, I have the small, battery operated version of the same.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I use a five blade. I learned from Clark Howard that keeping the blades dry is the key to longevity so I tried that and get 9 months/blade. Who knew

That makes it pretty cheap, even with the cost of those blades.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Oh, that it would work the same way for Irish hirsutery. My head hair may be dyed brunette these days, but the leg hair is as dark and thick as ever.

I got fed up a very long time ago with having to tread delicately around the matter of female shaving. Isn't it just like society, to insist that women aren't feminine if our legs are left with their natural hair on, and then try to keep us from talking about it, while men are permitted to discuss their nasty old beards to their heart's content.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

Legs...during winter, a simpler battery powered shaver bought from the drugstore for a quick "no water involved" touchup. For the real deal in summertime for wearing sundresses, I use a Mach 3 and Colgate brand shaving cream.

I am happily finding that my leg hair is getting less coarse in my mid 50s. I'm half Greek and trust me, it is a real bonus for the jungle to be fading back a bit.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:01 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Oh, that it would work the same way for Irish hirsutery. My head hair may be dyed brunette these days, but the leg hair is as dark and thick as ever.

I got fed up a very long time ago with having to tread delicately around the matter of female shaving. Isn't it just like society, to insist that women aren't feminine if our legs are left with their natural hair on, and then try to keep us from talking about it, while men are permitted to discuss their nasty old beards to their heart's content.

Amethyst
I shave my legs when I feel like it. During summer, I conform and do them more often. But it's not as if I cannot leave the house if I don't.

If nobody wants to look at my hairy legs, no problem.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...a pair of long female legs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

Do we need a poll?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #48

Both hubby and I use mach 3.
My local costco stopped carrying the cartridges a while back - so I ordered a mega-pack off amazon.
I'm finding I shave less in retirement....
Definitely more area to be shaved for women - and more delicate area... I hear men growse about knicks on their face - but I'd warrant that a knick in the armpit or back of the knee is more painful!

I don't think I could go back to a single blade since I used to butcher myself with those.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
.. I hear men growse about knicks on their face - but I'd warrant that a knick in the armpit or back of the knee is more painful!
Yeah, I could see where having a knick in the armpit would be painful.
And having one on a guy's face...well...I'm leaving that one alone.
The back of the knee is a whole other story...I'm leaving that one alone as well.
Knicks guard Iman Shumpert tweaks his ankle on Sunday night.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

I still have a full head of hair, so no need to explore options there. Apparently they make specialized razors for that task. The Bic comfort three series is cheap and works great on my face - I spend less than $10/yr on shaving.
Bodybuilders have the toughest shave - everything below the scalp. I wonder what they use. And on the subject being danced around - fashions change, along with the prevalence of tattoos and body piercings has come expanded shaving territory.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Yes, the burden is not all on the girls any more. I have had it explained to me that many young men and women expect one another to shave considerably more than was customary "back in the day" All of which, one hopes, prompts the development of better shaving technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
fashions change, along with the prevalence of tattoos and body piercings has come expanded shaving territory.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

"Manscaping": why I will never complaining about shaving my legs ever again.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #53

Blade shaving exacerbates ingrown hairs for me.

So, I use electric. My trick? I start with a Braun foil type electric for the first pass, and then follow up with a Norelco rotary.

It is LBYM because I've had them for 10+ years, even though I have two devices. The two different types seem to work against each other and I end up with a convenient, very close shave.

When travelling, I just carry the Norelco.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #54

I use disposable 2 blade razors. Only problem is I probably keep them too long.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Ingrown/infected follicles are really horrible. Interesting that electric shavers are better for you - Mr. A. and I get ingrowns from electric shavers, but not from blades. Do you have a particular way of cleaning/disinfecting the electric shave head?

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Blade shaving exacerbates ingrown hairs for me.

So, I use electric. .
Old 12-06-2014, 04:15 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
I've been using Dorco razors for three months now. Love the razor and love the price.
DORCO - Disposable Razors, Shaving Systems, Shavers, 6 Blade, Blades, Cartridges, Cartridge, Mens, Womens
+1
Old 12-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #57

Dollar store buy um by the bag blue with 2 blades.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am shocked that so far, nobody has voted for the single blade, double edged. Wouldn't that be a better LBYM choice than the others?
I use a Merkur safety razor and buy 10-packs of blades from CVS. I think the 10-pack of blades is around $6 or $7, and at a rough guess, a blade lasts me about a month, so pretty cheap. The main reason I use the safety razor though, is not so much cost, as the fact that it just seems a more elegant way to do things. I didn't like the though of throwing all those plastic disposable razors in the trash. The old way, in this case, is the greener way.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #59

Quote:
Razors are cheap enough that we, as a couple, gravitate toward the new and (hopefully) improved. Now, I've read a lot of grousing on Internet shaving sites about the terrible high cost of razors. I'm not buying it (no pun intended).

Men's faces are so small in terms of shaving "real estate," compared with a pair of long female legs that must be shaved every other day to be presentable at the gym...and what with fronts and backs of calves, knees, thighs, and "bikini" area, present so many more opportunities than a face does for cuts and nicks....Amethyst
Which gym do you go to where you have to have all those parts presentable
Old 12-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #60

Quote:

Amethyst
A true gem of information leaked out right here....
I agree, its funny the different views folks have in different countries on this topic.