Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What type razor do you use primarily?
4-5 blades ie, Fusion, Quattro 35 25.74%
2-3 blades ie, Mach 2, Track 2 55 40.44%
1 blade ie, classic double edge 11 8.09%
Mostly electric razor 35 25.74%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: What kind of razor do you use?
Old 12-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: What kind of razor do you use?

I need a new one, and am deciding between fewer or more blades, leaning toward the former - a classic single blade/double edge.

DW and I have razors that are so old you almost can't find replacement cartridge/blades for them.

Just for fun poll...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

My Norelco is at least 15 years old, and still gives a close enough shave.
Jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

Just for fun poll...
Which parts of the body are being shaved?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I am shocked that so far, nobody has voted for the single blade, double edged. Wouldn't that be a better LBYM choice than the others? Frank has been considering switching back to single blade, double edged too, because his present blades are ridiculously expensive. I don't think he has done it yet, though.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Electric.

Norelco spinning heads to be exact.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The cheapest 2-blade disposable. No pivoting head, no special handle, just no frills cheap.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #7

I use Schick single edge injector. I always thought the multi-blade wars was silly and expensive. I stopped seeing single edge blades in the stores about 7 or 8 years ago. I can order 4 boxes of 7 blades for $20 from Amazon. Enough to last several years. I have two adjustable razors, one for travel that the base moves up so the blade is guarded.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use the Schick Hydro 5 blade. Hands down the best shave I've had in 35+ years of shaving. Shaved about every day of a 20+ year military career and tried many a different tool for the job. The Hydro 5 is awesome. Also, I'm just started my third blade since August 2013. That's 2 blades lasting 15 months! How did I accomplish this you may ask. Well I'll tell ya. Since ER I only shave about every 3 days, sometimes up to 5 days. Also, after every shave I thoroughly dry the razor and strap it with a towel. That's it. I've heard others store their blades in baby oil to make them last longer. Whatever it takes to keep the blade from oxidizing which essentially dulls the blade quicker.

The Hydro isn't cheap, but as long as I get 6 months out of a blade, it's worth it for the exceptional shave I'm getting.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have a Gilette Fusion Power (has a AAA battery and vibrates when you turn it on).

I hear what you are saying about LBYM W2R but I bought it before I retired and only shave a couple times a week now that I am retired so my blade expense is quite a bit less than it was when I was working and shaving every day.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

OK, this is how cheap I am even though I don't recycle dryer sheets.

I just buy the blades- the usual double- or triple-blade, generic version, and I've got steady enough hands that I shave with the blade only- sort of like an old-fashioned straight razor but much smaller. I'm female, so we're talking legs and underarms.

I just got tired of paying for the razor and a few blades, then finding replacement blades were way overpriced, then finding they no longer made a generic version that fit the razor, buying a new one, repeat...

And no, I'm not covered with nicks and cuts!
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #11

Recently got new razor and blades from Harrys.com. Have used the Fusion up til now, and have been semi scientifically comparing how long these last. The angle is a tad different, neither better nor worse. At this point I'd say blade life is about the same, shave about the same. Harry's is half the price though, free shipping. So that's what I'm using from now on. Never could understand HOW they could charge ~$4 for a razor cartridge. Well, I guess because I paid it.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Old Remington electric, augmented every few days with the cheapest disposable. Only "luxury" option is the teflon strip.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #13

In HS I started out with a Schick single-blade single-edge, and once in a while I'd use an old Braun that my Dad passed down to me when he got a new one. Then I grew a full beard, which I kept for 23-24 years, and only occasionally neatened up the edge with that old Schick. One day I decided to shear off the full fur-face, and went down the next day and bought a Norelco triple-head elelctric, which did a great job for many years....'til it finally up and died. Then I purchased a nice Braun 5000 Series electric rechargeable, which does an excellent job! I change the blade head and screen about once a year.

If or when I need a new one, I'll most likely buy another Braun. Or I'll just go back to being ol' fur-face!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

The only reason I haven't already gone back to a classic single blade/double edge razor, I assume I'm more likely to nick myself with one - that wouldn't be much fun.

Good thing I don't travel much anymore, I understand cartridge razors are allowed, but single edge/double blade razors are verboten...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weishi-2003-M-double-edged-safety-razor.jpg (21.2 KB, 9 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am shocked that so far, nobody has voted for the single blade, double edged. Wouldn't that be a better LBYM choice than the others?
Well, I think mine is the 3 blade super-duper smooth as a baby's behind shave model - but actually since FIRE, I don't really use it much anymore. Turned into kinda of a hermit/bum and and am just loving it.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #16

I have a safety razor I'll probably start using when I have more time in the mornings (retirement). Right now, I use the 4 blade option from Dollar Shave Club. I get the "not so hairy" option so I get four blades every two months via mail for $6.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #17

Gilette Mach 3 system here. For a long time I used the disposables bought on sale but was always getting nicks. I've had the handle for over 10 years now, replace the blade about every six weeks (shave every other day generally). Yes, the blades are ridiculously priced at the store, so I buy at auction on ebay for about $1.50 each. Get a little entertainment bidding, generally losing, until I get my price. Start shopping when I still have several blades left.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #18

I use mostly an old (~10 years) Norelco but occasionally a Gillette single blade/double edge similar to the one pictured by Midpack. When I use that I make sure to wear a dark shirt so the blood doesn't show so much.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I swear by Occam's razor.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

Been using Gillette Fusion Power for 1 1/2 years, and very happy with it. Came with 2 blades, and am just getting ready to toss it and buy the new Swivel Power Fusion. Uses the same blades as the non swivel Fusion.
Anyway... with the blades costing $4+ each, I looked around for a better deal.
This looks too god to be true.. less than $2 each, in packs of 8. That would last me longer than I'll ever live.

qty (24) Gillette Fusion Power Razor Cartridges.3 new packages of (8) - Men's Razor Blades

Now... one more thing... As one gets REAL old, hairs grow quickly... not on the top of the head, but the eyebrows, ears... OMG a half inch in three days... and in the nose. Indeed, even around and in back of the ears. With grey hair, some feel this is distinguished, but I feel like what we used to call a tramp.

Anyway, about 10 years ago, I found a bikini shaver for $2, and it's the best two dollars I ever spent. Has never failed, and I use it every day for a tune up. (BTW... before you ask... not in the Bikini areas... Very dangerous!)

Here's the one I bought...
Not my favorite color, but it works!.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shaver.jpg (3.3 KB, 235 views)
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote