Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What type razor do you use primarily?
4-5 blades ie, Fusion, Quattro 35 25.74%
2-3 blades ie, Mach 2, Track 2 55 40.44%
1 blade ie, classic double edge 11 8.09%
Mostly electric razor 35 25.74%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I swear by Occam's razor.
Is that the simplest solution you can come up with?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I swear by Occam's razor.
Attached Images
File Type: gif dilbert_occam.gif (66.2 KB, 55 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm also a fan of the Gillette Fusion razor. As another poster noted I extend the life of the blade by drying it off after use and strop it on an old pair of jeans maybe once a week. I shave maybe 3 times a week and the blades last several months and still give a good shave.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Electric. I have never used a non-electric razor to remove hair on my face.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been using Dorco razors for three months now. Love the razor and love the price.
DORCO - Disposable Razors, Shaving Systems, Shavers, 6 Blade, Blades, Cartridges, Cartridge, Mens, Womens
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_by_the_Bay View Post
Is that the simplest solution you can come up with?
The sharpest one too
Old 12-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #27
Administrator

I use this (so I couldn't vote in your poll). I have seven of them and use a different one every day. This is the only new one I have; the rest are antiques I got off ebay. I periodically hone them myself with a Belgian coticule.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dovo razor.jpg (4.7 KB, 171 views)
Old 12-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Gillette Mach 3 for me...been using them for years...pretty much daily since I was in the military. I also figured out that by simply drying them off, they would last two months or longer.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:34 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I use this (so I couldn't vote in your poll). I have seven of them and use a different one every day.
I assumed straight razor users would fall in the single blade category no?

Old 12-05-2014, 04:03 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Gillette Mach 3. Change the blade on the last day of the month, like clockwork. Buy the blades at Costco. First handle lasted over a decade, on second handle now. I find the 4 and 5 (and 6 and 7 and 8 and 9 and 10) blade trend to be akin to obsessing over whether one's FIREcalc results are 97 or 98 or 99 or 100%: Just polishing the cannonball.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:19 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
I've been using Dorco razors for three months now. Love the razor and love the price.
DORCO - Disposable Razors, Shaving Systems, Shavers, 6 Blade, Blades, Cartridges, Cartridge, Mens, Womens
I have been using them for a few years now. MUCH less expensive than name brands.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:30 AM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I assumed straight razor users would fall in the single blade category no?
In "1 blade, i.e. classic double edge", i.e. means id est or "that is". Thus reading "1 blade, that is classic double edge", and thereby defining single blade as a classic double edge and nothing else. If it had been e.g., meaning exempli gratia or "example given", then a classic double edge is only one of the razors that could be called 1 blade.

i.e. and e.g. Usage Cheat Sheet - wikiHow
Old 12-05-2014, 04:41 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I just buy the blades- the usual double- or triple-blade, generic version, and I've got steady enough hands that I shave with the blade only
I do the same, no handle! It's also much easier when traveling.

I don't buy generic though - when I went to three blades I finally got a decent shave and haven't found significantly cheaper ones (vs. mach 3 bought on discount). Cheap throwaways just hurt, take long, and give a bad result with lots of injuries. Of course, I just might be doing it wrong.

Still, +/- 2 USD per blade is kind of expensive, and my blades dull quite quickly Basically every week I should replace, even though I try to aim more for the 1x month regime.

So I'll keep an eye on the tips here, see if I can improve.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:33 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Much like NanoSour, I agree that the 5-blade razors are really the best. I shave only once or twice a week.

Fusion to me is a great blade and shaving system. Gillette sends out razor handles and blades as advertising gimmicks in our ZIP code. It turns out they send out to all graduating male seniors. So I use a Gillette Fusion.

Recently my wife bought more blades, but got the Mach 3 blades, so I switched back to my old Mach 3 handle. There is ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT that Mach 3 is worse than the Fusion system. The 5-blade Fusion setup is designed to stretch one's skin better just before the blades cut the whiskers much better than other razors including the Mach 3. So shaving is not just the blade, but how the skin is presented to the blades. One has to make sure to use those stretching features of the Fusion blade to get the best shave. One does this by the angle and the pressure. I can use much more pressure with Fusion and have no chance of cutting my skin.

As for old-fashioned razors, I think that's just hipster nostalgia talk and folks stretching out their skin with their other hand.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:08 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

In my Gym kit a few weeks ago switched to one of my old Army days double edge razor. It even has adjustable blade angle. Works as well as I remembered.

I wonder what would be the reaction if I used my straight razor in the Y. One day I'll try it.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:28 AM   #36
gone traveling

If you really want to go LBYM, you could try to abstain from shaving and go for the duck dynasty look. I don't pay too much attention to what I am using, but think its a Fusion, not sure how many blades it has 3-4?? I also try to limit my shaving to 3 times/week since I retired.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:04 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
In "1 blade, i.e. classic double edge" i.e. means ibid est or "that is". Thus reading, "1 blade, that is classic double edge" and thereby defining single blade as a classic double edge and nothing else. If it had been e.g., meaning exempli gratia or "example given" then a classic double edge is only one of the razors that could be called 1 blade.

i.e. and e.g. Usage Cheat Sheet - wikiHow
Guess I should have used e.g. (thanks for the correction) so I guess the poll was hopelessly misguided. Maybe a Mod or Admin could replace the i.e.'s with e.g.'s?

Old 12-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #38

Too often an overly dull disposable razor.

LBYM or Just plain lazy?!
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
As one gets REAL old, hairs grow quickly... not on the top of the head, but the eyebrows, ears... OMG a half inch in three days... and in the nose.
Why not just have some fun with it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ear-nose-hair-grooming-turnoffs.jpg (44.9 KB, 9 views)
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

I buy the 52 pack of Gillette disposable, double blade, swivel head from Bj's wholesale club for $23.99. I use 1 razor per week and then throw it out. Less than .50 cents a week!

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote