Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Popeye Elbow
Old 02-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,200
Popeye Elbow

I think I have it. Last night a large fluid filled bulge "appeared" on the tip of my elbow. Has anyone experienced this condition? How was it resolved?

In thinking back, I smacked my elbow pretty hard a couple of months ago going over the bars on my mountain bike while riding downhill . It seemed to heal up OK except I have still noticed a small tender spot around the tip of the ulna still when I would put pressure on it just right.

It may have been building up fluid for a while and I just didn't really notice it with the looseness of the skin around the elbow. I did ride a rough section of downhill fire roads yesterday that might have aggravated things w/the impact travelling up through the front end (even with the suspension).

Until I see my physician next week, I am using the RICE treatment. Rest (at least no more jarring rides), ice (margaritas should work ), compression (wrapped up tight) and elevation (well other than standing in a doorway w/my arm up against the jamb, this one is tough to maintain without looking like I want to answer a question).
__________________

__________________
We are, as I have said, one equation short. Keynes
ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 10:29 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6,329
Ganglion cyst? They're more common on the wrist, but I've heard on them on the elbow. Don't think you can go wrong with the RICE treatment. You could try the "bible treatment", but I would wait for a real diagnosis. I don't know if many MD's would suggest the bible treatment, personally I'd do it before draining or surgery.
Best Wishes,
MRG
__________________

MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
fidler4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Ganglion cyst? They're more common on the wrist, but I've heard on them on the elbow. Don't think you can go wrong with the RICE treatment. You could try the "bible treatment", but I would wait for a real diagnosis. I don't know if many MD's would suggest the bible treatment, personally I'd do it before draining or surgery.
Best Wishes,
MRG

I remember watching an episode of Doc Martin when a guy came in with a bump on his wrist. Doc Martin told him it was a "Ganglion" Had him hold his wrist out. Doc Martin took a book and slammed it into his wrist. Problem solved.
fidler4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Rich_by_the_Bay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 8,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
I think I have it. Last night a large fluid filled bulge "appeared" on the tip of my elbow. Has anyone experienced this condition? How was it resolved?

In thinking back, I smacked my elbow pretty hard a couple of months ago going over the bars on my mountain bike while riding downhill . It seemed to heal up OK except I have still noticed a small tender spot around the tip of the ulna still when I would put pressure on it just right.

It may have been building up fluid for a while and I just didn't really notice it with the looseness of the skin around the elbow. I did ride a rough section of downhill fire roads yesterday that might have aggravated things w/the impact travelling up through the front end (even with the suspension).

Until I see my physician next week, I am using the RICE treatment. Rest (at least no more jarring rides), ice (margaritas should work ), compression (wrapped up tight) and elevation (well other than standing in a doorway w/my arm up against the jamb, this one is tough to maintain without looking like I want to answer a question).
Olecranon bursitis is my guess. Easily taken care of with drainage of the bursa, sometimes with steroid injection. Let us know what your doctor says.
__________________
Rich
San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
MissMolly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_by_the_Bay View Post
Olecranon bursitis is my guess. Easily taken care of with drainage of the bursa, sometimes with steroid injection. Let us know what your doctor says.
I had this just at the end of last year. It started on Oct 10, 2013 and didn't resolve until Christmas. Mine looked exactly like the pictures I've seen of elbow bursitis when I Googled it. I never went to the doctor. Everything I read on the net said it would resolve on it's own given enough time - and sure enough it did.
__________________
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidler4 View Post
I remember watching an episode of Doc Martin when a guy came in with a bump on his wrist. Doc Martin told him it was a "Ganglion" Had him hold his wrist out. Doc Martin took a book Bible and slammed it into his wrist. Problem solved.
Bible treatment?
__________________
We are, as I have said, one equation short. Keynes
ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Bible treatment?
Yep, Bible or similar size book. Nothing to do with any spiritual aspects. Just good for whacking.
MRG
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,815
Had that problem once. For other reason I was the Doc's. As aside I mentioned it. He said there was stuff he could do/prescribe..... then said it will go away by itself.

In a weeks time it was gone. Self service by my body.
__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_by_the_Bay View Post
Olecranon bursitis is my guess. Easily taken care of with drainage of the bursa, sometimes with steroid injection. Let us know what your doctor says.

+1

Not going to respond to getting assaulted by a Bible. You could add Advil (barring any reasons that you can't take it) to your RICE regimen.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Popeye Elbow
Old 02-09-2014, 05:33 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,949
Popeye Elbow

I don't think i'd try the bible treatment. I'd go with the md option. I've had a cyst on my ankle for years. Now I have swollen veins (I think they're veins) surrounding the cyst. I don't know if it's related, but maybe I should have gone to a dr sooner. As we get older, it makes more and more sense to visit a dr when things run amuck.
__________________
The wilderness is calling and I must go.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,154
Had the ganglion cyst on wrist. Dr. told me they're called "bible crackers" because that's how they dealt with them, smack with a big book. Also said that they'd frequently come back that way. I lived with mine for about 6 months and finally opted to have it surgically removed. It was just plain annoying. Coworker named it Bob in honor of our supervisor Cut Bob out!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Had the ganglion cyst on wrist. Dr. told me they're called "bible crackers" because that's how they dealt with them, smack with a big book. Also said that they'd frequently come back that way. I lived with mine for about 6 months and finally opted to have it surgically removed. It was just plain annoying. Coworker named it Bob in honor of our supervisor Cut Bob out!
I never had heard of them until 3 years ago. I knew that I hadn't hurt my wrist but yet one grew in that spot (probably caused from weight lifting). Not initially knowing what it was I just assumed the worst that it was a tumor or something, so I did what a normal guy would and just ignored it. A couple months later I ran into a relative who was a nurse and she told me the name of it. A golfing buddy later told me he had indeed smashed his with a book. I decided to continue my then strategy of ignoring it. It magically about 6 months later went away as quickly as it came and has not returned yet.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,200
So officially, as Doc Rich suspected, olecranon bursitis. Just continue what I've been doing. Add in a prescription strength anti-inflammatory instead of the otc. Had an X-ray on the elbow just to be sure nothing is going on in there from the fall.

And I've got a little ganglion cyst buddy on my ring finger knuckle too. Just call me Lumpy. Or Clarence.
__________________
We are, as I have said, one equation short. Keynes
ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidler4 View Post
I remember watching an episode of Doc Martin when a guy came in with a bump on his wrist. Doc Martin told him it was a "Ganglion" Had him hold his wrist out. Doc Martin took a book and slammed it into his wrist. Problem solved.
My grandad had the "bible treatment" back in the 50's! It worked from all I can recall.
__________________
Living well is the best revenge!
Retired @ 52 in 2005
marko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,944
The X-ray was just to pad the bill. I've had bursitis in the elbow from having my arm in a sling for about 8 months (don't ask). Basically, it goes away without treatment, but it is odd at first.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
imoldernu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Peru
Posts: 4,652
Olecranon elbow..

Scary and pretty ugly. The synovial fluid that fills the space between the joints (bones) is enclosed in a sac (bursa)... for whatever reason, and possibly no reason,the sac leaks and allows the fluid to seep out and end up as a large swelling that doesn't go away in a short time. The only serious risk is usually infection.
Elbow (Olecranon) Fractures-OrthoInfo - AAOS
When it happens, most sufferers go to the emergency room, where after the $500 fee, they take an XRay to be sure there is no bone fracture, a hypodermic drain sample (for infection) and then send you home... telling you that the swelling will eventually go down... three or four months to a year.
Scared the heck out of me two years ago... now back to normal... took about 8 months.
The draining sounds like a solution, but it seems doctors don't like to do this, and prefer natural healing.
Best thing... not normally life threatening except in cases of infection which are not common.

My take as a victim... not a medical opinion.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 703
Sometimes they get infected though. If your elbow becomes red, hot, and painful, call your doc ASAP.
__________________

AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Elbow Bursitis MissMolly Health and Early Retirement 6 10-29-2013 09:47 AM
Owie. My elbow. Martha Health and Early Retirement 24 08-23-2007 08:27 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:22 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.