Join Early Retirement Today

Portable Home Sauna
Old 10-29-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Portable Home Sauna

Just wanted to see if anyone has a home sauna. If so how do you like it?

JDARNELL

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have a Softub, and like it quite a bit. T-300 | Models and Features We like it a lot. It's easy to maintain, runs on 110v current, and gets plenty warm for us (104 degrees). It's not as big as a normal spa/hot tub, but we've had 4 fairly big people in it fairly comfortably. We like it we can drain it in the winter and bring it into the garage to store it away from the nor'easters we get. No way we'd be out there in the winter. We did have a dedicated 20 amp outlet installed for it, since it kept blowing the 15 amp outside outlet that shared with our bedroom plugs. That was fairly cheap, and no problem since then. We're pretty happy with it, although sometimes I wish I had gotten one of those swimspas instead. But they aren't protable. By the way, we've only had it for 2 years, but no problems so far, and half decent phone support.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #3

I am thinking hot dry sauna not jacuzzi.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

sorry, misread it.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I stayed a week recently in a 1BR unit at Tahiti Village in Las Vegas. The unit had a walk in shower with a glass door and the shower also doubled as a sauna. Not sure of the manufacturer but it looked like something that was made for home use. The shower/sauna wasn't very big, two people at the most, but did have a place to sit down. I liked it but I couldn't figure out how to control the temperature other then to open the shower door. It got extremely hot, the most I could take was about 10 minutes.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Hardly portable, but I built a sauna room in the basement when we moved to this house. It's five by six feet, interior dimensions, and I used a kit I got online. Framed the room, installed the precut redwood walls, benches, Swedish heater, etc., along with a new 220 line for the heater.

It wasn't a hard job, but it took a couple of weeks of evenings to finish it. I had done the same thing in our previous house.

We love our sauna. A most relaxing experience. I crank it up and work up some serious sweat, but DW doesn't enjoy the high heat, so we take turns. After I'm finished (I think there's a pun there), it cools down to about 140 degrees F. and she takes her turn.

One of my little notions is that I really believe that when I feel a cold coming on, a good sauna will sweat it out of me. Probably my imagination, but it does seem to work.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Hardly portable, but I built a sauna room in the basement when we moved to this house. It's five by six feet, interior dimensions, and I used a kit I got online. Framed the room, installed the precut redwood walls, benches, Swedish heater, etc., along with a new 220 line for the heater.
Yeah they call them portable but they are pretty large. I saw a coupe of 2 person units that use the infared technology. I am reading trying to get educated about the different options.

JDARNELL
Old 10-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #8

Sounds like a good idea. Are the spas expensive?
Old 10-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Sounds like a good idea. Are the spas expensive?
They don't have to be.
- Go to Goodwill Store
- Buy 10 old steam irons and an old metal wardrobe
- Fill steam irons with water, set to High and "steam." Place in cabinet.
- Extension cords--one per steam iron, snake through house to use different circuits.
- Climb inside, enjoy the deluxe experience, savor the dollars saved.

Or move to Houston and enjoy the same thing for free from May through September
Old 10-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #10

I bought a portable infrared Sunlight Sauna several years ago. I bought it for "detox" purposes. After years of stress, my holistic doctor recommended it, based on the premise that it would help my body eliminate toxins. It was delivered via "truck" and we had to put it together. Fairly easy to do. Great Instructions and the pieces simply "fit together". Had to get electrician to run a dedicated 220 volt outlet. It had a bench, music etc. We put it in our bedroom, used it for a while....then not so much.
It takes a long time for it to heat up to the right temperature and then takes a while to start sweating in it. I also noticed that when I used it I had a harder time sleeping at night. Almost as if it "excited" my brain cells. My husband had the same experience. Didn't like that thought. Three years ago I gave it away.
If I wanted another "sauna", I would build a steam room.

The holistic doctor has gone by the way side as well. All those supplements made me feel worse not better.