Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #21
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Perhaps habit is your friend here. It helps if you exercise on a very regular schedule, and have the attitude that if you miss one of your regularly scheduled times it will be the "beginning of the end.". YNY suggests that you treat exercise like your job -- you don't decide whether to go to work, you just do it.

I've solved the flossing problem for me. I just have the floss next to me, and floss when watching TV. Only once per day, though.

We have an alarm set at 7:30am weekdays (SHOCK!) to ensure we never miss our exercise sessions. (We rarely sleep through until 7:30). I also have fixed times every week to play tennis with a friend and go on a cycle ride with DW and DS.

... and I also have the floss by my chair and floss while watching TV, sometimes twice a day.

Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
Making connections, patting beside me as an invite to sit and rest her head on me usually works better than words. Otherwise, I can smile and ask if this is a "recreational b***h" and get a smile out of her.

devans0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #23
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
My late husband would get very irritated with me when I brought certain things up, just to talk about... I finally figured out why when he said, "well what do you want ME to do about it". I didn't want him to do anything about it...I just wanted to talk about it and be heard.
I took the longest time to get my head wrapped around that concept. And it is still kind of alien thinking - if I can't do anything to fix it why spend time talking about it?

But I do try, and she knows that so I guess it works.
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
You know, chocolate by itself isn't too bad -- it's just the sugar that always accompanies it. The sugar-free chocolate that you buy isn't much better (usually uses maltitol).

So, if you don't want to give up chocolate:

Coconut Bark

1/2 c. coconut oil, melted
1/4 c. cocoa powder
6 drops Liquid Splenda
1/4 c. erythritol
1/4 c. heavy cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp mint extract (optional, but very good)

Nuke oil, whisk in cocoa & sweetener (which dissolves well if oil is REALLY HOT!) add cream & extract. Stick in freezer 30 minutes or so.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Habit is definitely key, so is having goals, or at least a goal. I schedule races because I know I'll pay for it if I don't train. Weight goals are also very good. Training partners, or having a weight loss contest with a friend (one which you can both win if you both hit your goals) help a lot.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.
For me, what keeps me on track each day is my list. I make lists. I make tomorrow's list of what to get done the evening before. For some reason, having that little piece of paper in my pocket, looking at it, and crossing off my chores gives me the drive to get them done. And it helps when you are over 50 and can't remember what you were supposed to do in the first place.

Now...just where did I put my list...I just had it...Ohhh no! Now, I can't find my list!!! The day is shot...
"I either want less corruption, or more chance to participate in it." Ashleigh Brilliant
Redbugdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #27
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Now...just where did I put my list...I just had it...Ohhh no! Now, I can't find my list!!! The day is shot...
Another to add to this thread (unless I have forgotten that it is already there )
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:07 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets
I replied to this but the post disappeared ...

Originally Posted by haha View Post
I find these two things necessary, but really different in how easy or difficult they are to do.
The diet requires what I think of as negative discipline, the ability to say no to things that I have decided are not good.
Positive discipline is being sure I do things that I think are in my interests, or are the way I should behave, but are not easy to do.
Sometimes I think it weird that it's easier to avoid harming myself by not doing something then it is to help my self by doing something. Inertia plays a big part. Not doing something requires only thought. Doing something requires overcoming basic Newtonian physics: a body at rest stays at rest. It is easy to put something off until tomorrow because tomorrow surely I will recognize the value of what needs to be done.

The only method I've ever used to consistently overcome the lack of positive discipline was to say, out loud, something a former girl friend said to summon up positive discipline: "I don't have to feel like doing something to do it."

ER Oct 2008 at age 54. An expat mostly settled in Thailand.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote