Join Early Retirement Today

Possibly Another Case of......
Old 02-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Possibly Another Case of......

T-Als thread regarding Lena made me aware of this and am suspecting I could have hyperparathyoid disease, but will need to get some further testing done.

While my PCP hasn't even raised a question over these calcium levels in my past blood tests, they certainly warrant further investigation:

12/10 - 10.4
3/11 - 10.1
7/11 - 10.3
1/12 - 10.5

Need to get PTH and possibly ionized calcium levels tested to know for sure. It amazes me that the PCP didn't bat an eye over my calcium levels. Nevertheless, he told me he was leaving the practice at my last visit so I will have a new Dr going forward, so we'll see how the new Dr reacts when I call requesting additional testing. This condition can become quite serious if left untreated.

www.parathyroid.com

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm curious about your post. My blood test results say that the normal range is 8.6 to 10.2, and yours are only a little outside that range.

The website you linked to frankly sounds suspect to me, and seems to be a case of scaremongering.

The first sentence on the home page is
Quote:
Parathyroid.com is the world's leading authority on parathyroid glands and parathyroid disease.
which may or may not be true, but is odd.

Just a little further down, I see this sentence:
Quote:
If you are reading Parathyroid.com then you probably have a parathyroid tumor that needs to be removed.
Really?
I don't mean to be hypercritical, but IMHO that's just not a proper medical attitude.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

All you need, in order to know if you have a problem, is your PTH level. If the calcium is high and the PTH is high, then one of your parathyroid glands has gone wacko. If your calcium is high, then the parathyroids should not be putting out any PTH. Remember, PTH pulls calcium out of the bones, so if there's too much in the blood already, there shouldn't be any PTH around.

Braumeister, I agree that the web site sounds a little suspect, but I've read and digested almost everything there, and I think it is spot on and reliable. Yes, they are advertising for their services, but they are reputable. Many PCPs are not up to speed on this stuff.

The center related to that site is indeed that top place in the world, and they do an amazing number of parathyroidectomies per day.

It's too early to worry, DFW, and even if you have this, it's not a super big deal. I can give you more info here or in PMs.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
While my PCP hasn't even raised a question over these calcium levels in my past blood tests, they certainly warrant further investigation:
12/10 - 10.4
3/11 - 10.1
7/11 - 10.3
1/12 - 10.5
Are you going to make us research the website to figure out the context for these numbers, or can you just tell us the specs?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I'm curious about your post.
Just a little further down, I see this sentence:

Quote:
If you are reading Parathyroid.com then you probably have a parathyroid tumor that needs to be removed.
Geez, I'm glad I didn't click on the link. Sounds worse than most malware, virus, Trojan Horse thingees.

I hope that just reading some of the information posted here didn't give me a tumor that doesn't need to be removed.

Isn't posting links that give you tumors against some sort of Code of Conduct rules on the forum? If not, it oughta be! Mods!

-ERD50
Old 02-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
All you need, in order to know if you have a problem, is your PTH level. If the calcium is high and the PTH is high, then one of your parathyroid glands has gone wacko. If your calcium is high, then the parathyroids should not be putting out any PTH. Remember, PTH pulls calcium out of the bones, so if there's too much in the blood already, there shouldn't be any PTH around.

Braumeister, I agree that the web site sounds a little suspect, but I've read and digested almost everything there, and I think it is spot on and reliable. Yes, they are advertising for their services, but they are reputable. Many PCPs are not up to speed on this stuff.

The center related to that site is indeed that top place in the world, and they do an amazing number of parathyroidectomies per day.

It's too early to worry, DFW, and even if you have this, it's not a super big deal. I can give you more info here or in PMs.

Although initially skeptical, I came to same conclusion as T-Al regarding the website after reading through it thoroughly and noting all the references provided. This is not that common a problem and most PCPs do not have a good understanding.

Al, I'm not worried, but definitely will get my PTH and possibly ionized calcium checked. I appreciate your offer for more info and that you even posted info on this in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Are you going to make us research the website to figure out the context for these numbers, or can you just tell us the specs?
Nords, generally a blood calcium level above 10.2 is considered abnormal, and often times high normals may even be a problem, but as T-AL explained you also need to know what your numbers are with respect to your PTH level, which at this point I do not. High calcium in the blood can be indicative of a few serious things, cancer or a parathyroid tumor, with the parathyroid tumor only becoming serious if you do not have the tumor removed.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

And here's the silver lining, if you do have hyperparathyroidism, and you have the operation, there's a good chance that your quality of life will improve. Most people say that many things that they had assumed to be related to getting older got better after the operation. A friend who had had the operation said that soon after it "a fog lifted."

Lena says it wasn't so dramatic for her, but that she feels better than before. More important, however, the frequent headaches that she had are almost completely gone. She could never drink wine without getting a headache, but now she can.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #8

As for me, I do feel old from the perspective that my memory seems to be getting worse and I easily fall asleep on the couch watching TV after 8:30 PM. The other symptoms that resonated with me of late is that I have noticed increased stomach acid and my blood pressure has gone up, however, I did gain about 10-12 lbs since thanksgiving so it might be attributed to that. Further, I've been eating a lot cheese which is high in calcium, so I suppose that could elevate my calcium levels some. I'll try to get the Dr soon and find out for sure, but if it hadn't been for your original post on this subject, this wouldn't even have been on my radar screen.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Nords, generally a blood calcium level above 10.2 is considered abnormal, and often times high normals may even be a problem, but as T-AL explained you also need to know what your numbers are with respect to your PTH level, which at this point I do not. High calcium in the blood can be indicative of a few serious things, cancer or a parathyroid tumor, with the parathyroid tumor only becoming serious if you do not have the tumor removed.
Ah, good, thanks.

I'm in favor of anything that'll help me feel "less old", especially if it helps me avoid exercising more or eating less.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote