Posterior polar cataract anyone?

BTravlin

Full time employment: Posting here.
The recent threads on cataracts bring my cataract condition to mind and I'd like to see if anyone here has or had a posterior polar cataract. Mine is a congenital cataract that has basically rendered me blind in my right eye. My field of vision is left eye dominated with the right eye basically just filling in a somewhat blurry field of view on the right periphery. This is a fairly rare type of cataract and ophthalmologists don't see too many of them. The best time to deal with them is in young children but in the early 60's they apparently didn't have the knowledge and equipment to deal effectively with them so I still have mine at age 56. I've inquired about having it removed and have gotten different responses from eye surgeons. Removal is difficult with complications arising more than 25% of the time. Some surgeons say they have safely removed many and feel confident they can remove mine as well. Others say they wouldn't attempt to remove it unless something happened to my left eye.

Another consideration is how my post operative resulting vision would appear? My vision has been left eye dominant since birth so how will my brain deal with the new reality?

Anyway, I'd love to hear from anyone here who has dealt with this problem.

Back
Top Bottom