Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Eh, something's gonna kill us all. Go out with a smile.....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2008, 03:08 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

No, no, no!

Bake the potato, throw out half the white stuff, add butter and chocolate, with whipped cream on top.

There ya go!

ta,
mews

ps: some bacon??
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I like potatoes but only eat them in small amounts as part of something else.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Now this thread is on the right track. Recipe so far: bake the potato, throw out the white part and fill the jacket with chocolate, add whip cream.
I was at my local hangout one evening for dinner back in the late 70's, and the somewhat smart@ss waitress asked me if I wnated gravy on my mashed potatoes. Knowing she was usually a smart@ss, I responded accordingly with "NO, I want chocolate syrup on 'em...whatdya think?!"

A few minutes later she reappears with a small side dish of mashed 'taters with chocolate syrup on 'em. Says if I actually eat 'em all up, she'd buy my dinner that night. Never make such an offer to a crazy person! I ate 'em all up, and then enjoyed a very nice steak dinner with all the trimmings...and dessert.....for FREE! She had to buy!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mews View Post
No, no, no!

Bake the potato, throw out half the white stuff, add butter and chocolate, with whipped cream on top.

There ya go!

ta,
mews

ps: some bacon??

Can I then deep fry it?
Frugality_of_Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality_of_Apathy View Post
Can I then deep fry it?
I believe you have to deep fry it before you put the whipped cream on,
Old 12-29-2008, 05:50 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I believe you have to deep fry it before you put the whipped cream on,
I don't know, some deep fried whip cream sounds mighty tasty.
Frugality_of_Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:01 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Hersey's, Dove, Lindt taken straight(it was a good Christmas) - plus Triple Chocolate cookie batter from the 9th grader's school catalog selling door to door.

For desert - baked potato's stuffed with cheese, chives, bacon bits and topped with sour cream and some bacon strips beer battered and deep fryed in Zatarain's Chicken fry.

heh heh heh - Plus a multi vitamin for a well balanced meal.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:06 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Unclemick, I think you covered all major food groups except beer.

ta,
mew
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:41 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

ta,
mew
Rats! - just had the feeling I forgot something when I posted.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #31

Quote:

ta,
mew
Huh-uh! "....bacon strips beer battered and deep fried...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Hersey's, Dove, Lindt taken straight(it was a good Christmas) - plus Triple Chocolate cookie batter from the 9th grader's school catalog selling door to door.

For desert - baked potato's stuffed with cheese, chives, bacon bits and topped with sour cream and some bacon strips beer battered and deep fryed in Zatarain's Chicken fry.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Now this thread is on the right track. Recipe so far: bake the potato, throw out the white part and fill the jacket with chocolate, add whip cream.

Nah, our mom taught us the best way to eat the skins is with a big hunk o' salted butter inside. She loved them skins but would often sacrifice hers up to me and my sister, who would fight over them.

Bad thing about Italy: available potatoes are all thin-skinned.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I try and avoid white potatoes as I read somewhere they are bad for you, but can't remember where. Instead I have switched to eating yams which are much healthier for you. Luckily we like the taste of yams.
My doctor told me to avoid white potatoes so we switched to sweet potatoes or yams. Much better for you. We do them in a steamer. Twenty minutes for two big ones. I like mine with margerine and salt. Wife puts honey on hers. We've also gotten away from "white" pasta.
All of that stuff now comes in whole wheat. We don't eat any of the white breads, potatoes or pasta anymore. Just special occasions like New Years Eve--couple big porterhouse steaks with sauteed mushrooms and of course a big 'ol baked potato with sour cream. Yummy!
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:45 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf View Post
White potatoes turn to sugar in your gut. Not much good about that. Humans didn't eat a significant quantity of anything like modern potatoes until the evolutionarily insignificant interval of a few thousand years ago. As a traditional, holiday comfort food, why not? As a daily staple, not on my table.
Everything turns to sugar at some point in your body. It's not a problem unless it's combined with overeating, obesity, or a disease like diabetes. Which, unfortunately I have now. So I have to avoid them.

However, they also have a ton of potassium, which is one of the minerals we have a hard time getting enough of. National Academy of Sciences Recommends More Potassium, Potato #1 Source | Business Wire | Find Articles at BNET

Thereby proving my theory that in a few years the medical establishment will announce that lard and chocolate are the cure for all known ailments.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:12 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post

I didn't know they come any other way.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:30 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
My doctor told me to avoid white potatoes so we switched to sweet potatoes or yams. Much better for you. We do them in a steamer. Twenty minutes for two big ones. I like mine with margerine and salt. Wife puts honey on hers. We've also gotten away from "white" pasta.
All of that stuff now comes in whole wheat. We don't eat any of the white breads, potatoes or pasta anymore. Just special occasions like New Years Eve--couple big porterhouse steaks with sauteed mushrooms and of course a big 'ol baked potato with sour cream. Yummy!
So what is the difference in nutritional composition between white potatoes and sweet potatoes? The local farm grows a variety of sweet potatoes (which were apparently the largest crop in NJ before WWII, to my amazement), so we have been eating more sweet potatoes these days what with eat local and all that.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:44 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality_of_Apathy View Post
I don't know, some deep fried whip cream sounds mighty tasty.
Y'all need to come to the Texas State Fair next year. If you can eat it, someone there will offer it deep fried...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:56 AM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I try and avoid white potatoes as I read somewhere they are bad for you, but can't remember where. Instead I have switched to eating yams which are much healthier for you. Luckily we like the taste of yams.
We also love yams, and yesterday, after playing tennis, we splurged (calorie-wise) and went to our local Fuddruckers where you can now substitute fried yams for french fries, and they were very tasty indeed.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:10 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We also love yams, and yesterday, after playing tennis, we splurged (calorie-wise) and went to our local Fuddruckers where you can now substitute fried yams for french fries, and they were very tasty indeed.
Yep, we had 'em when we went to Fuddrucker's on our trip to Texas earlier this month. They also serve the sweet 'tater fries at the Cruisin' Cafe at A1A & Main St. in Daytona Beach, FL. And we just had some the other night for dinner, that come from the grocer's freezer case....don't recall the brand...but they were most excellent (deep fried of course!).
Old 12-30-2008, 08:11 AM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
So what is the difference in nutritional composition between white potatoes and sweet potatoes? The local farm grows a variety of sweet potatoes (which were apparently the largest crop in NJ before WWII, to my amazement), so we have been eating more sweet potatoes these days what with eat local and all that.
There's not a lot of difference between the 2 of them, although a lot more carbs in potatoes. (data from here)

Baked Yams - 1 serving (136g)
Cals 158
Fat 0
Fiber 5g
Sodium 11mg
protein 2g
Carbs 37g

Baked Potato - 1 serving (139g)
Cals 128
Fat 0
Fiber 3g
Sodium 14mg