Join Early Retirement Today

Potatoes
Old 12-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Potatoes

More than any other food, potatoes seem to go back and forth between being considered healthful and harmful.

Younger Next Year
says they are bad, but now I'm hearing about resistant starches, which make them good again.

What do you think?

Also, I'm hearing that resistant starch is most resistant when cool. But I'd think that all the food will be about the same temperature by the time it gets to the small intestine.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Potatoes BAD !?!

You mean, all my ancestors were wrong !?!

Can't be.

ta,
mews
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
Administrator

Potatoes make much better weapons than any other vegetable. Have you ever heard of a rice cannon?
Old 12-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

You forget about the pea shooter?
Old 12-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Since I'm Irish what could be wrong with potatoes or beer ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vodka, there's a weapon for you.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Saint Patrick's Day Parade - Slidell Louisiana - they can't throw the cabbages.

Now potatoes from the floats near the end of the parade route when everyone feels no pain??

Not that 'I' ever threw potatoes back at the float riders in my younger days or anything.

It wasn't me - honest.

heh heh heh - So for health food one uses a low fat gravy and low cal butter when making Po Boys with french fries on Leidenheimer's bread.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

My dinner is sitting very well so far: 1/2 a russet with lite sour cream, 1/2 a sweet potato with strawberries, orange slice and mango slices. So it will become a bomb somewhere along the digestive tract? This should be fun.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

White potatoes turn to sugar in your gut. Not much good about that. Humans didn't eat a significant quantity of anything like modern potatoes until the evolutionarily insignificant interval of a few thousand years ago. As a traditional, holiday comfort food, why not? As a daily staple, not on my table.
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:18 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Potatoes not healthy? Hogwash. I always eat a healthy portion of french fries with my burgers.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:31 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

My sister told me, after she returned to a trip to Ireland, of getting a slice of pizza in Dublin - it came with a potato on the side ...

ta,
mews
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
What do you think?
Okinawan sweet potatoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Also, I'm hearing that resistant starch is most resistant when cool. But I'd think that all the food will be about the same temperature by the time it gets to the small intestine.
I'm thinking that the author of that claim is going to have a tough time backing it up with peer-reviewed research published by a credible journal...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When my Dad was still alive, and the Doc had him on a somewhat restricted diet, he told him that the potato wasn't all that bad...it was all the stuff that you put on the 'tater! So he used something called 'butter buds' on his baked 'taters, because they were supposed to be at least half way good for...or at least not bad for you. Dad said that it tasted almost like the real thing....though I never tasted them myself.

We've always had 'taters with dinner, in some form or 'nother....unless dinner was basically a pasta dish (s'ghetti, lasagna, ravs, etc.). For baked 'taters I slather on real butter (not that artificial cr*pola, like margarine) and fresh ground black pepper.....YUM!

If 'taters are the worst things I ever ingest, I'll be doing fine!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:30 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

To get the benefit (if any), potato must be cooked, then chilled...... put that baked potato in the fridge, eat it cold in the am, oh, yummy.....

Al, ya gotta stop reading this stuff.....one potata, two potata, three potata, four....
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:41 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

A plain baked potato without toppings would be encouraged by Weight Watchers, in preference to some other foods, since it is on their Filling Foods list. Go figure.

Too bad - - I checked and somehow they mistakenly omitted chocolate from the list of Filling Foods!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:59 AM   #16

Here in Italy, they put potatoes ON the pizza (a "white" pizza w/garlic, rosemary, some cheese, no tomato).

I, too, have heard both extremes.. that it's a wonderful staple and that it's practically an evil poison. Who knows!? I just consume a moderate amount.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #17

I try and avoid white potatoes as I read somewhere they are bad for you, but can't remember where. Instead I have switched to eating yams which are much healthier for you. Luckily we like the taste of yams.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mews View Post
My sister told me, after she returned to a trip to Ireland, of getting a slice of pizza in Dublin - it came with a potato on the side ...

ta,
mews
I recall that several of the meals I had in/around Dublin came with *multiple* servings of potatoes, prepared in different ways. All delicious.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
I, too, have heard both extremes.. that it's a wonderful staple and that it's practically an evil poison. Who knows!? I just consume a moderate amount.
I go by the old adage...."Everything in Moderation".....well, except maybe chocolate...in that case, to blazes with that moderation cr*p!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Now this thread is on the right track. Recipe so far: bake the potato, throw out the white part and fill the jacket with chocolate, add whip cream.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote