PPACA measures already implemented

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Our PPACA discussion has focused mostly on subsidies, exchanges, pricing and policy availability. There are many other components to the law that affect us. For example, already implemented, any policy contracted after 9/23/2010 must have the following preventive services covered without any co-pay or deductible cost for the insured.

This is especially beneficial to people with high deductible and HSA policies. See here for details Preventive Services Covered Under the Affordable Care Act | HealthCare.gov

Preventive Services Covered Under the Affordable Care Act

Covered Preventive Services for Adults
There are additional preventive services for women Preventive Services Covered Under the Affordable Care Act | HealthCare.gov and children Preventive Services Covered Under the Affordable Care Act | HealthCare.gov

Very useful info MichaelB. Thank you.

Knowing that an annual syphillis test is covered makes one sleep better.

Or should I say sleep around better.

The provision allowing post-education children to remain on a parent's health plan until age 26 as a covered dependent is another one we have discussed.

This article says 3.1 million young adults have benefited.

Affordable Care Act: Young people faced with new insurance decisions | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

DD#1 is one of those. I'm certainly pleased that the provision went into effect about 60 days before she graduated from college. She's had two jobs so far, neither with health care benefits, and keeping her on my employer's plan has been a piece of cake.

I do expect that next year's health premiums for families will go up faster than singles or employee+spouse, but not by too much.

Last edited:
Anybody received a rebate?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/31/h...t-of-health-care-law.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

The law requires insurers to give out annual rebates by Aug. 1, starting this year, if less than 80 percent of the premium dollars they collect go toward medical care. For insurers covering large employers, the threshold is 85 percent....

So is your check in the mail? Don’t count on it.

Self-insured employers, which cover more than half the nation’s workers, are exempt from the new rule, as are Medicare and Medicaid. And of the 75 million people in health plans subject to the rule, only about 17 percent, or 12.8 million, will get rebates this year, according to the Obama administration.

Many who buy coverage directly from insurers, like Ms. Harkenreader and other self-employed people, are receiving checks. But in most cases rebates are being sent to employers, who can chose to put them toward future premium costs instead of distributing them to workers.

Back
Top Bottom