Pre-Existing Conditions & Health Insurance

Talk to Midas Mulligan and see if he'll advance you the gold to pay Dr. Hendricks. If not, you're probably a moocher or looter.

(I can tell EXACTLY what direction this one is coming from. I smell Randians... :rolleyes: )

Randroids can be smelled from far off.

I haven't taken the time to understand (if in fact anyone can) the new healthcare laws, BUT the one thing of which I am certain is worthwhile is to no longer allow insurance companies to deny coverage based upon pre-existing conditions.
But what do you do about the person who has a condition that results in yearly costs of thousands of dollars? You can't expect the insurance companies to insure them at the same rate as someone who spends nothing. I think they should have written the law that previous 2 years of health expenses could be used to set your insurance rate, that would eliminate all these pseudo pre-existing conditions but still allow the insurance companies to price their insurance accordingly.
TJ

2. If I get sick and cannot pay for the treatment, am I morally justified to demand that others pay my bill for me? Frankly, not getting in this situation is a great motivator to me to work hard and to save for my health care.

This comment brought to mind something someone else once said...

If they would rather die,'' said Scrooge, they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.

This comment brought to mind something someone else once said...

You guys/gals are being a little harsh, IMO.

Maybe I'm just reading the posts from cb7010 differently, but I saw 'ifs' and 'question marks' in there. I read his posts as taking a very basic look and questioning this whole concept of the conflict between our desire to take care of the "all of us" and our desire to protect our own assets. It is a conflict, whether you want to admit it or not.

I think it is good to take a break from all these details and investigate and hold our basic instincts up to a mirror. It's a foundation from which we can build policy (if done correctly).

I for one am willing to listen to him, rather than shout him down. Disagree with him if you wish.

-ERD50

You guys/gals are being a little harsh, IMO.

Maybe I'm just reading the posts from cb7010 differently, but I saw 'ifs' and 'question marks' in there. I read his posts as taking a very basic look and questioning this whole concept of the conflict between our desire to take care of the "all of us" and our desire to protect our own assets. It is a conflict, whether you want to admit it or not.

I think it is good to take a break from all these details and investigate and hold our basic instincts up to a mirror. It's a foundation from which we can build policy (if done correctly).

I for one am willing to listen to him, rather than shout him down. Disagree with him if you wish.

-ERD50
"If and question marks" are window dressing to core points:

First post: But, isn't coming into an insurance pool with a pre-existing condition kind of like wrecking your car first and then calling State Farm to initiate a retroactive policy?
Second post: I would guess the healthy people would think they were getting ripped off and the unhealthy would think this a great deal for them
Third post: If I get sick and cannot pay for the treatment, am I morally justified to demand that others pay my bill for me?

These posts reflect either a fundamental lack of social knowledge of how healthcare works or what M Paquette said (Randian alert). If there is any harshness here it is in the passive-aggressive nature of the posts. They seem to be tacking instead of progressing, and there seems to be an agenda. My comment wasn't harsh, I was just trying to cut to the chase.

These posts reflect either a fundamental lack of social knowledge ...

OK, we are reading them differently then. I still see them as questions (admittedly uncomfortable ones) worth probing.

To be clear, I don't agree with where he appears to be going. While I am probably in the "Randian" camp (is that a philosophy, or something we need to be "alarmed/alerted" about?), I still see that there is a time and place for govt mandates. And in this case, I think we all benefit from risk pooling, and I don't see any way to accomplish that without some form of govt mandate.

But that does not change basic human instincts, and maybe that is why there is so much conflict on this subject. I think we need to understand conflicting views if we are going to learn how to deal with and accommodate them. They get a vote too.

Maybe you want to look back at some posts where I used the term "Liberal" to be descriptive, not derogatory (I'm not sure why anyone would consider it derogatory in the first place), and I got flamed for 'name calling'? I didn't put 'smell' in the same phrase either. I don't think those comments foster discussion.

-ERD50

But what do you do about the person who has a condition that results in yearly costs of thousands of dollars? You can't expect the insurance companies to insure them at the same rate as someone who spends nothing. I think they should have written the law that previous 2 years of health expenses could be used to set your insurance rate, that would eliminate all these pseudo pre-existing conditions but still allow the insurance companies to price their insurance accordingly.
TJ

Absolutely, this is exactly what insurance is all about. We pool our resources so when one get sick we have the money to take care of him or her. If insurance companies only take in the healthy then we don't really need them.

Also, the current system is being unfair to people who purchase insurance through the individual market or small businesses. This 2 groups are forced to subsidy the uninsured and the large employee group. For a free market system to work, we must eliminate the employer provided insurance so everyone can get insurance at the same rate like other type of insurances.

OK, we are reading them differently then. I still see them as questions (admittedly uncomfortable ones) worth probing.

To be clear, I don't agree with where he appears to be going. While I am probably in the "Randian" camp (is that a philosophy, or something we need to be "alarmed/alerted" about?), I still see that there is a time and place for govt mandates. And in this case, I think we all benefit from risk pooling, and I don't see any way to accomplish that without some form of govt mandate.
-ERD50
If the OP intends to discuss the social contract and how health care fits is, it is being done in a way only clear to CB7010 but you are sensing it more clearly than I (or others). There is ample room to discuss this, but it needs to be open and straightforward.

Randian is a reference to a philosophy. It is called Objectivism, and one aspect puts self interest above social good. I would say that view is reflected in all 3 posts made by CB.

Just to be clear - CB7010, if you want a conceptual discussion on moral issues, social responsibility, healthcare and how they fit - or don't, I am sure many here will engage eagerly and with passion. But you need to be upfront about what your are looking for with these questions and this thread.

To me, the concept of insurance is buying protection just in case something bad happens and the rates are derived by being in a risk adjusted pool of people all doing the same. But, isn't coming into an insurance pool with a pre-existing condition kind of like wrecking your car first and then calling State Farm to initiate a retroactive policy?

Yes strictly speaking insurance is there to cover you from unexpected/uncertain risks. If you have a pre-existing condition then the risk has already shown up so there is no need to insure for it. A rational provider should charge you exactly what it costs plus some overhead.

However, I think the health care system is really moving toward cooperative management (for lack of a better term). Having people with pre-existing conditions pay for their care (or the true expected costs) would be a debilitating burden financially. Just like we make exceptions for the disabled I believe we should do the same for people with pre-existing and financially ruinous health conditions. This is a good thing.

It really is a case where if everyone pays a little more in their premiums we can cover the worst off members of society. And who knows, you or your family member may develop a pre-existing in the future as well.

edit/add: MichaelB, I didn't see your cross-post #33, and I have to run, so realize that as you read this... thanks.

I haven't taken the time to understand (if in fact anyone can) the new healthcare laws, BUT the one thing of which I am certain is worthwhile is to no longer allow insurance companies to deny coverage based upon pre-existing conditions.
TJ

I think this is a great exchange. I certainly understand the view LARS takes on an emotional level. Some of these cases are heart-wrenching and certainly make us all want to "do something". But we have to look at the reality, and I think teejayevans points out one path worth considering in one form or another. We can't just demonize the ins cos over the pre-existing condition issue (we can for fraud, abuse), we need to address the underlying issue.

Let me go back and take these one at a time:

First post: But, isn't coming into an insurance pool with a pre-existing condition kind of like wrecking your car first and then calling State Farm to initiate a retroactive policy?

The analogy is flawed (IMO) in that it is incomplete. It is absolutely accurate for some cases though, and I personally know some. But, many conditions (especially health related) just happen to us. And sometimes it can be hard to get coverage, then you are stuck when it hits the fan. Bad. So there is a real problem there. But this analogy does address the problem that some people absolutely will not pay for the ins if they think they don't need it. It skews the risk pool and pushes costs onto others. I know of one case in our extended family that I'll use as an example - the 'kid' was no longer covered by Dad's employer ins. Rather than go out and buy a high deductible policy on him (like I did when my son was in this position - it was $60/month), the went naked. The kid got hurt (goofing around in a risky and illegal behavior, so this wasn't just bad luck), spent weeks in the hospital and rehab. As far as I know, they never collected a cent from the family for all that care - the kid has zero assets.

So yes, I'm a bit peeved that I jumped through all the hoops to obtain ins, paid for it, and someone else gets off Scott Free on my dime. And before someone jumps in, that doesn't mean I want to see people like that left on the street to rot. :nonono: But I can still be peeved that they didn't take responsibility for themselves, and pushed it off on me (thrice: I pay their bills in taxes, I paid for my insurance, and I bet my ins is higher because of people like that).

So the analogy is flawed/incomplete - but the OP doesn't deserve a beating for it. Discuss it instead.

Second post: I would guess the healthy people would think they were getting ripped off and the unhealthy would think this a great deal for them

Maybe the wording comes across as harsh, but there is something of value in there. We want to promote healthy lifestyles/choices - and charging everyone the same regardless doesn't help promote this (not that it should be the only way to do it). We charge drivers with bad records more. Again, some of this isn't the 'fault' of the insured, so it is complex. But it is still worth discussing, IMO.

Third post: If I get sick and cannot pay for the treatment, am I morally justified to demand that others pay my bill for me?[/

Yes, it's an uncomfortable question, but again I think it merits discussion. I don't see it as B&W, but in degrees. I don't want to see someone driven into bankruptcy over a non-preventable condition, that 'someone' might be me someday. But as you go down the scale, you hit ranges of things that people could have prevented, and some could have saved up an emergency fund but blew it instead, and now the grasshoppers want the ants to pay.

There is a balance there somewhere, no?

Absolutely, this is exactly what insurance is all about. We pool our resources so when one get sick we have the money to take care of him or her. If insurance companies only take in the healthy then we don't really need them.

Also, the current system is being unfair to people who purchase insurance through the individual market or small businesses. This 2 groups are forced to subsidy the uninsured and the large employee group. For a free market system to work, we must eliminate the employer provided insurance so everyone can get insurance at the same rate like other type of insurances.

True, and some of express a lot of frustration with the current HC 'reform' as it didn't attack this employer-tied ins issue.

-ERD50

Those who purchase on the individual market also do not get the same tax advantage as those who get coverage through a group. The employer-based health insurance system is one of the worst ideas anyone has ever come up with. At least Georgia is finally getting it right by allowing employers to give employees money to buy an individual market policy. A step in the right direction: Georgia Allows Health Reimbursement Arrangements (HRAs) to Reimburse Individual Health Insurance Policies Tax Free

Yes strictly speaking insurance is there to cover you from unexpected/uncertain risks. If you have a pre-existing condition then the risk has already shown up so there is no need to insure for it.

All other advanced countries provide cradle-to-grave health care as a public service. Most newborns don't have 'pre-existing conditions' and so everyone is covered from a common pool.

Peter

Third post: If I get sick and cannot pay for the treatment, am I morally justified to demand that others pay my bill for me?
Yes, it's an uncomfortable question, but again I think it merits discussion.
I don't find it uncomfortable. Once it becomes the law that others pay, I would simply be demanding that others follow the law. No moral problem there. I don't understand what there is to discuss. I think it is not a real question, but rather a rhetorical question meaning to propose that the proposed law is immoral. I certainly don't agree with that, but I don't see what is to discuss there, either. Atlas Shrugged isn't a discussion -- it's just an very long extended insult to all capable of human charity.

We're all healthy until we're not...

Arguing against care for everyone to lower prices only works if you are willing to deny care to those who are walking into emergency rooms - because our society has not been willing to be that cruel (up front at least, just bankrupt people on the back end) then we have to figure out how to care for everyone effectively, and cost efficiently. Our *ssbackward system is not effective nor cost efficient.

But they are already sick, so it's not fair they have been without insurance and then: oops, I'm sick, better get insurance!
Groups always have better rates, more purchasing power, you don't need to be a business to have group insurance. For example, any group of people (members of this website for example) could get together and get group insurance. Being a retirement website and older that average population would probably result in rates being higher than normal.
One more thing, young people don't get health insurance, they only take it when they get a job because they have to. So they will always do better on the open market.
TJ

For example, any group of people (members of this website for example) could get together and get group insurance.

If would be interesting to give it a try.
Do you have any examples of such groups and rates that they get?

If would be interesting to give it a try.
Do you have any examples of such groups and rates that they get?

Don't know where he got that info from, but you can't just form a group and get a group policy. It has to be a business with full-time employees and quarterly wage and tax reports. That was part of the problem with the healthcare bill, industry trade groups and associations wanted to be able to create groups to buy health insurance and it was not included with the bill. I'm an insurance agent, it would be nice if all insurance agents could band together and get a large group policy, but they won't allow it.

But they are already sick, so it's not fair they have been without insurance and then: oops, I'm sick, better get insurance!
I don't see what's unfair about it. I do see that it is no longer purely an insurance plan, because it has come to have a social welfare component. But that's just a matter of terminology, not fairness. Call it by some different term, if you'd like.

ERD, what are we discussing? The thread originator has asked three leading questions but not yet said “I think” or “I believe” or “I propose”. He has not really indicated what the purpose of this discussion is. The closest thing has been in post 4
I would argue it is that individual's personal responsibility
but then just leaves it there.

The way these questions have been framed it is not possible to engage in a rational and consequential discussion. Are we talking about how our health care system should ideally be or are we talking about practices and policies we should implement now? Context is needed. I thought the answers for the first question were comprehensive, yet the subsequent questions seem to ignore them.

The responses you define as hostile I see as reaction to an agenda that is not clear. If this thread is reframed or some additional guidance given, I’m sure the posts will become more positive and probably more balanced. If you want to take up the standard, great – it’s been too long since our last health care debate.

Atlas Shrugged isn't a discussion -- it's just an very long extended insult to all capable of human charity.
What's charity got to do with this? Charity doesn't begin at the end of a gun. When you and a friend get together and decide that another person must provide health care for someone else or face time in prison, we could call it a lot of things, but "charitable" isn't one of them.
There may be good reasons that we, as a society, might want to compel people to give what they earned to others. But don't sully the good name of "charity" in this effort.

GregLee and I certainly read Ayn Rand differently. Where he see's an insult to human charity, I see a thesis having little to say about charity, and much to say about communism and other "isms" that require the able to support the needlessly unable.

GregLee and I certainly read Ayn Rand differently. Where he see's an insult to human charity, I see a thesis ...
Yes, I suppose it's a thesis, but aside from any relationship to charity, I'm saying (just to be clear) that Atlas Shrugged is not a discussion and that it is insulting. Because Ayn Rand used the device of making her characters with views she opposed into really despicable people. I simply disagreed with her forthright writings on philosophy, but I hated Atlas Shrugged.

By the way, I did not say I saw "an insult to human charity."

Don't know where he got that info from, but you can't just form a group and get a group policy. It has to be a business with full-time employees and quarterly wage and tax reports. That was part of the problem with the healthcare bill, industry trade groups and associations wanted to be able to create groups to buy health insurance and it was not included with the bill. I'm an insurance agent, it would be nice if all insurance agents could band together and get a large group policy, but they won't allow it.
How to Get Group Health Insurance Coverage Through a Membership Organization
TJ

I'll agree wih that. AS isn't a discussion, more of a diatribe. No shades of gray in any of those characters.

I don't see what's unfair about it. I do see that it is no longer purely an insurance plan, because it has come to have a social welfare component. But that's just a matter of terminology, not fairness. Call it by some different term, if you'd like.
Its more than a different term. What you want is the Govt provided health care, which is worlds away from what we have today (before or after the healthcare reform).
TJ

Back
Top Bottom