Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And how much harm is done if you grew up in a household of smokers (aka passive smoke). I grew up with three smokers, Dad, Mom and Aunt. None of them lived past 74. I never smoked.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2016, 12:58 PM   #22

Talking about smoking, I didn't smoke until I was in my early to mid 20's. I was too involved in sports while in school to smoke. However, after finishing school and as I quit sports, I started smoking. I was only a pack a day smoker and smoked for about 10 years. I was able to quit "cold turkey" once I really decided to quit. The first few weeks were very difficult. The next few months were hard and the next few years were still a PIA. Today, ~35 years later, I don't miss them much but over the years I have often considered picking them up again. And I would "if" I thought I could keep it down to maybe a pack a month.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
And how much harm is done if you grew up in a household of smokers (aka passive smoke). I grew up with three smokers, Dad, Mom and Aunt. None of them lived past 74. I never smoked.
probably not that much - my parents smoked and my dad quit when he was 55 or so. My mom quit before then but she only had a cig or two a day. He's 88 now and smoked for probably 40 years. Two packs a day.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
My Dad lived to 95
My Mom lived to 57
My Bro lived to 68
My cousin lived to 74
His brother lived to 96

Can you see the pattern?

Neither can I!
Given the sample above, it appears that there are many more deceased men in your family than deceased women. Interestingly enough, the deceased men lived way longer than the deceased woman.

Is there a pattern? I don't know. I'll leave it up to the experts in the area of discerning patterns (I don't know what this area of expertise is called).
Old 07-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #25

I just don't want to loose the FI vs longevity game. I will plan for 95. If I croak before then and loose, I don't think I will care. If I am still living at 95, I am pretty sure I will still be FI, so I will win (no cat food) and still be happy!
Old 07-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #26

So my conclusion from all this is, past performance is no guarantee of future results
Old 07-17-2016, 10:04 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have the family tree of one grandmother back to 1793. The percentages of those who died in childhood or in war were comparable to their generations. About 80% of everyone else lived into their 80s and early 90s in eras when that was unusual. My grandmother lived to 105.

However, my brother, who has smoked since his teens, had a heart attack last year at age 59. I, who had no cardiac risk factors, had a heart attack last month at age 61. Our 58 year old sister is a bit scared. So much for antecedents.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Only one uncle died of a heart attack (of 5). Mom had angina and so do I. But worrying about it will make it worse. Que sera sera.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:22 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some of us just have what it takes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitledattachment00028.jpg (43.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-19-2016, 10:48 PM   #30

LOL. This forum is the only place where dying = winning. 😏
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I just don't want to loose the FI vs longevity game. I will plan for 95. If I croak before then and loose, I don't think I will care. If I am still living at 95, I am pretty sure I will still be FI, so I will win (no cat food) and still be happy!
Old 07-20-2016, 03:54 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I was going to reply to the older thread, but figured I would drop it here as that one gave me "this is an old thread warning". The older thread referenced a research paper by the Mayo-clinic "linking" long-distance endurance events to heart problems. Yet the abstract contradicts the paper:

Quote:
However, this concept is still hypothetical and there is some inconsistency in the reported findings. Furthermore, lifelong vigorous exercisers generally have low mortality rates and excellent functional capacity.
-- http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org...473-9/abstract

So many studies just aren't very helpful when they really don't end up proving anything one way or the other.

cd :O)
Old 07-20-2016, 05:40 PM   #32

According to government statistics:

When I was born, the life expectancy was 59.8 years

For those born today the life expectancy is 78.8 years.

More than half of the people who were born at the same time as me, are no longer here. Looking back on the names of people that I went to school with (through college)... I'd say the numbers are pretty close.

Have beaten the odds...

At my current age, my theoretical life expectancy is 9 more years... or age 89.

No hurry...
Old 07-20-2016, 05:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Have beaten the odds...
"He who dies with the most joys wins!"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
LOL. This forum is the only place where dying = winning. 😏
Ya gotta take your "wins" where you can get 'em!
Old 07-22-2016, 11:00 AM   #35

according to page 62 of this magazine income may trump (no pun intended) the family tree

Contingencies - July/August 2016